Should I cancel May 21 Alaska

bobrxlex

We just booked a cruise to the Bahamas  to sail on June 27 from NJ.  If  the virus is still a problem, we will cancel-

It might still be a problem,  for those who want to sail this year.  Better safe then sorry- be prepared to cancel.

Edited by Cruise a holic

11 hours ago, radarcruiser said:

The US government could provide temporary or permanent relief to allow foreign flagged passenger vessels to operate between US ports.  Presumably this would let Alaska cruises leave from and return to Seattle with no Canadian stops.  Not sure if that is something that could be done under executive authority, or require Congressional action.  

Probably not a top priority of the US government right now so don't count on this as an option.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, julia said:

FCC stands for "Future Cruise Credit".  Eg:   If your cruise fare (minus port fees and taxes) was $1,000, a 125% FCC would be $1,250, to be used on Celebrity for a future booking.

OK thanks-that sounds like a great option since Celebrity is my # 1 favorite line and I can always do another cruise with them.

Teanne

9 hours ago, julia said:

FCC stands for "Future Cruise Credit".  Eg:   If your cruise fare (minus port fees and taxes) was $1,000, a 125% FCC would be $1,250, to be used on Celebrity for a future booking.

9 hours ago, julia said:

We're also on this cruise with a Rocky Mountaineer train package ending in Vancouver prior to the cruise. We're sitting tight to see if train and/or cruise will be cancelled.

Can FCCs be used to pay the balance on a cruise already booked (Apex in April, 2021) or can they only be used for new bookings?

Thanks. K

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Probably not a top priority of the US government right now so don't count on this as an option.

While a moot point given the current suspension of cruises, Hawaii would dearly like to close its cruise ports to help protect itself against COVID-19. Any suggestion of exemptions to the PVSA would meet with strenuous objections from Hawaii. On the other hand, exemptions would be a significant benefit to both the hard hit cruise industry and ports along the Pacific coast. For these and a couple of other reason, I don't think that exemptions are at all out of the question once the cruise industry restarts.

1 hour ago, MarKay525 said:

We're also on this cruise with a Rocky Mountaineer train package ending in Vancouver prior to the cruise. We're sitting tight to see if train and/or cruise will be cancelled.

Can FCCs be used to pay the balance on a cruise already booked (Apex in April, 2021) or can they only be used for new bookings?

Thanks. K

An FCC can be applied to an existing booking.

21 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

did you pay with a credit card? If so, and RCL cancels or goes bankrupt, you can collect from the credit card.  

And the credit card will then go after RCL, who then will go after the travel agent if you booked with one. So in the end the buck will stop with the littlest guy on the totem pole. This will kill travel agents.

26 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

did you pay with a credit card? If so, and RCL cancels or goes bankrupt, you can collect from the credit card.  

This is NOT true and it's been addressed on these boards.  

This may have been noted here in a round about way but with Canada closing our ports to ships/boats with more than 500 until July 1st then if your cruise is (was) scheduled to sail in June from Vancouver then it seems clear it is already identified not to be permitted.  Event though the ship would not have all the passengers on it upon arriving to the Canadian port, it would have the crew which will surely be more than 500 so that would fall under the ban.

So, Celebrity is going to have to cancel or alter something so I would wait it out if you are not losing anything to wait.

Edited by poffles

We had an Alaskan cruise, sailing on May 28, Seattle to Seattle.  Trudeau, stopped cruises until 7/1, for ships under 500.  Celebrity has not come forward with their intentions, so I kept my current cruise & scheduled another for 5/21, as I wanted the same rooms and itinerary.  I needed to be proactive.....can't stand loose ends.  My thoughts are Canada will NOT allow the sailing I booked. 

8 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

We had an Alaskan cruise, sailing on May 28, Seattle to Seattle.  Trudeau, stopped cruises until 7/1, for ships under 500.  Celebrity has not come forward with their intentions, so I kept my current cruise & scheduled another for 5/21, as I wanted the same rooms and itinerary.  I needed to be proactive.....can't stand loose ends.  My thoughts are Canada will NOT allow the sailing I booked. 

At first I thought you meant this May 21 (2020), then I realized that you were talking about May 2021.  LOL

Yes, we are all hoping next year is calm, stable and healthy.

56 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

I couldn't find one that was 8 days with the same itinerary... what did you book?

21 hours ago, twincheryl said:

I couldn't find one that was 8 days with the same itinerary... what did you book?

we were on Celebrity 5/29/Solstice out of Seattle, returning June 5th