for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, made it and having breakfast at my hotel. I don't leave for the ship till 2

The weather is beautiful. More later.

Have a fabulous cruise; glad you made it safely

Just a few of us left right now.  

Going to see my ENT-PA this afternoon for a followup.  Monday was the first day i didn't cough, coughed a little yesterday, but had a major coughing fit in the middle of the night.  it seems like we might be going in the right direction, though.  i am soooo over this coughing!!!

i wore my overalls down in the Valley on Saturday to see how they'd fare in 95+ temperatures and they were perfect!  So, i'm not worried about taking them with me.  

TJ's alert:  I picked picked up a box of Strawberry Jalapeño Crisps the other day,  they are like crispy crackers.  I usually get the other 2 flavors but this sounded interesting.  A nice sweet with a big punch of spicy.  If you like hot stuff, try these.  Especially good with some soft cheese on them!!

OOTD:  denim shorts and a sleeveless T, as it's going to be in the 90s down in the Valley this afternoon.

• Like 1

Hi girls, have a story to tell you. I arrived at the ship on Monday and everything was going well. That is until I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Not sure if most ships have a step up or not but when I stepped down and my foot hit,  I heard A BIG POP AND THEN THERE WAS A SHARP PAIN. Well, it seems I tore a muscle in my right calf. I was standing there at 4:30am and could  not put any weight on my right leg at all. It was excruciating.  I was  not sure how I was going to even get to the bed. After several minutes I hopped to the bed and was praying the pain would stop but no such luck. At 5:30 I called Guest Relations. They called the nurse who then called me.

The nurse and The Dr came to the cabin and at least he gave me a shot for the pain.

But there is more. The ship doesn't have scanning machines and he wanted me to get an Ultra sound so they got me a car/driver and I had to go to the hospital. This all happened in Valencia. 

Anyway, no blood clots or anything, thankfully.

So, the same driver picked me up and made it back to the ship.

The ship offered me crutches or a cane. I am using 1 crutch as I still cannot put full weight on the leg. Basically on my right I am walking on the ball of my foot. I can't put the heel all the way down. Most folks have been kind. I am trying to keep the leg elevated. Can't do any tours at this point. Will post more later. I know it could be worse but iti is still a BIG PITA. or rather a pain in the leg.

• Like 1

Hi again, I am laying in the shade at the pool and the staff made up an ice pack for me so the leg has the pack under it.

Sadly, I can't do any walking tours but I know I could be in worse places. And I don't see any swelling in the leg so that has to be a good thing.

• Like 2

Hello Lois,

I have followed your trip through this board. However, I saw this on the SS board. So sorry to hear this after all your planning and anticipation.  At least there are people onboard to help you. I also travel solo and this is my biggest fear that I will be injured or get sick.  Agree with others on SS board and get wheelchair assistance on return flights. You have a good attitude and you're getting out and dining with others. You just have to make the best of an unfortunate situation. I'll be watching for updates. Take care.

• Like 2

Wow, Lois, that sounds like quite an experience and a painful one at that.  Good news that it’s  not a blood clot!  

My husband is home from Australia and, no, he did not notice my haircut.🙄.  The Wildman has gone home and I think I have recovered.  The next round of grandkids starts Sunday but they are pretty easy going kids so it won’t be as physically demanding.  

Kat, I hope you have a great trip!  I am looking forward to reading about your adventures!

OOTD: exercise clothes for the gym, no make up.  After gym, I will be cleaning house, getting ready for kids so nothing fun today!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Hi Lois, just popped in quickly and saw your posts -- what a shame!  It sounds like you're being well looked-after but it's not fun having to get around on a crutch or crutches....  

Keep taking it easy and hope you enjoy the cruise even if it is a bit different than planned.

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, have a story to tell you. I arrived at the ship on Monday and everything was going well. That is until I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Not sure if most ships have a step up or not but when I stepped down and my foot hit,  I heard A BIG POP AND THEN THERE WAS A SHARP PAIN. Well, it seems I tore a muscle in my right calf. I was standing there at 4:30am and could  not put any weight on my right leg at all. It was excruciating.  I was  not sure how I was going to even get to the bed. After several minutes I hopped to the bed and was praying the pain would stop but no such luck. At 5:30 I called Guest Relations. They called the nurse who then called me.

The nurse and The Dr came to the cabin and at least he gave me a shot for the pain.

But there is more. The ship doesn't have scanning machines and he wanted me to get an Ultra sound so they got me a car/driver and I had to go to the hospital. This all happened in Valencia. 

Anyway, no blood clots or anything, thankfully.

So, the same driver picked me up and made it back to the ship.

The ship offered me crutches or a cane. I am using 1 crutch as I still cannot put full weight on the leg. Basically on my right I am walking on the ball of my foot. I can't put the heel all the way down. Most folks have been kind. I am trying to keep the leg elevated. Can't do any tours at this point. Will post more later. I know it could be worse but iti is still a BIG PITA. or rather a pain in the leg.

Oh Lois that just stinks!  Hope it’s not a serious injury. Could you do a wheelchair more comfortably than a crutch or cane

36 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Oh Lois that just stinks!  Hope it’s not a serious injury. Could you do a wheelchair more comfortably than a crutch or cane

Hi Melody,  they have a chair on board but I have to call for assistance to be taken and picked up. I am so used to doing everything on my own.......I am doing ok with the crutch. It's not like I have  partner who can wheel me around.

• Like 1

Lois - I am so sad for you!  At least you have a good "suck it up" attitude.  May I offer a little advice from when I shattered my leg 2 days into my first italian trip?   First, you have those days to allow the injury to go through the bad part - swelling, pain.  Remember the ICE protocol (ice, compression, elevation).  I highly recommend you contact your PCP in FL asap and get recommendations for an orthopedic visit as soon as you get home.  Ask about getting anti-coagulant injections as soon as you get home - have your PCP get them into your pharmacy so you can pick them up.  Recommended to me by my PCP to help aleviate any clotting after the flights home.  Flying home Business, right?  Make good use of that seat and elevate the leg.  See if one of those nice attendants will assist you to the lav - it worked well for me.  

• Like 1

The visit to my ENT-PA went ok.  He's a very good guy.  He actually knows about Long Covid and resulting GI issues.  it seems like what we are doing is starting to work as my cough has calmed a little starting on Monday, but not all gone.  At least it doesn't sound so violent and awful most of the time.  He knows I'm going on vacation, so we decided to so 5 days of prednisone to try to kick it down some more before i leave.   He gave me an extra course to take with me in case i get in trouble again.  He wants me to use my new inhaler to try to keep any possible allergies i encounter in new locations at bay - I have always had major issues with grasses and olive trees).  I'll keep up with the prilosec protocol for 6 months, then there is a weaning process that he told me about.   Fingers and toes crossed!

Picked up my override suply of prescriptions yesterday - HOLY CR$P!!  As much as my flight back to the wedding!!!  

got my case and protective glass for my new iPhone all done now.  I picked up the same case I had on my old SE - i loved it for as long as i had that phone, so why not get the same.  Good hand and finger feel and did a solid job of protecting my phone for at least 8 years.  Getting more used to the new phone, getting all the usual stuff arranged.  I heard about a jet lag app on one of my travel sites, so I figured i'd give it a try - the first trip is free.  Called Timeshifter.  i'll let you all know how it works.  The app starts helping you to change your timing a few days before your flight - I start july 4.  Then it does more every day for a week.  it has sleep times, times to do/no do coffee/tea, active time, get/don't get sun.  I think it will be interesting.  

Today I have to print out my hotel direction cards i use to give to taxi drivers - i've done this for ages.  it takes care of any language/communication issues.

Oh - go to the Cotopaxi website and look at their stuff.  I buy everything in their 'Del Dia' designs.  So colorful that no one will accidentally pick it up at the baggage claims!!!  i've had some of it for 3 years and I love it all.  

OOTD:  running skirt and a tank top.  Too hot for anything else.

• Like 1

We just used Timeshifter for a trip to Spain in April. Works great going to Europe. It’s a little hard to follow the plan for the return trip because you’re still on vacation and want to do all the things you planned, not necessarily adjust your schedule to what Timeshifter suggests. We live on the East Coast and I have worse jet lag coming home than going. I just deal with it when I’m home.

• Like 2

Hi girls, Kat nothing seems to be swollen at all. 

I am going to dinner every night in one of the restaurants on board an not staying in my cabin all day. I did have someone wheel back here after dinner this evening though. He was extremely kind and was one of the Maitd's.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Riverroad said:

We just used Timeshifter for a trip to Spain in April. Works great going to Europe. It’s a little hard to follow the plan for the return trip because you’re still on vacation and want to do all the things you planned, not necessarily adjust your schedule to what Timeshifter suggests. We live on the East Coast and I have worse jet lag coming home than going. I just deal with it when I’m home.

i also have more issues going East to West, like you.  But I've got 3 days after the Europe trip and then off to Southern California for 4 days, then fly from there to Washington DC and drive 3 hours to my relatives places for my grand-neice's wedding, then fly back to SLC 5 days after that.  I think there's nothing that's going to help me on that!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

i also have more issues going East to West, like you.  But I've got 3 days after the Europe trip and then off to Southern California for 4 days, then fly from there to Washington DC and drive 3 hours to my relatives places for my grand-neice's wedding, then fly back to SLC 5 days after that.  I think there's nothing that's going to help me on that!!!

I think you’re right!

Lois, I’m so sorry to read about your predicament. It must be disappointing that you are unable to do the tours but good that you didn’t have to return home.  Being on a smaller ship is a good thing too. Sounds like everyone is very helpful. Good that you will arrange for wheel chair service at the airport. If you still can’t walk, there ia a wheel chair that fits down the aisle that you can transfer to from the one you will use in the airport and jetway. I recall sitting behind a woman who was unable to walk and this was how she was taken to her seat and to the rest room. Hopefully the airline will ask the nature of your injury and how much assistance you require so necessary items are available for you. Which airline(s) are you flying home?

You have a great attitude about all of this, Lois! I guess if one has to take it easy, a cruise ship is a good place to be. Take care and I hope your leg heals quickly.

Sharon

Kat, good to hear that your ent appointment went well and you are set up with meds for your travels. You have quite the schedule ahead of you, no time for annoying medical issues!

Sherri, good to hear that you have recovered from Wildman’s visit in time for your second round of grandchildren visits. Enjoy!

As for you DH not noticing your new “do” that’s just so typical. Mine isn’t likely to notice either.

Hair cut early this morning followed by shopping and errands so did have to dress up a bit and yes, some make up too. Ducked into Talbots to check out their July 4th weekend sale and left with 2 tops from their large clearance display. DH was waiting for me so I didn’t have time to do any more damage. 

Sharon

• Like 2