P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I couldn't believe how close she seemed to come.

We are good, thank you for asking. 

Andy 

Good to hear from you Andy and glad you are both good ☺️

Wish same could be said for Ventura who is stuck in Southampton ,something to do with 

cleaning cables stuck around propeller and rudder ,looks like turned midnight for her departure now.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good to hear from you Andy and glad you are both good ☺️

Wish same could be said for Ventura who is stuck in Southampton ,something to do with 

cleaning cables stuck around propeller and rudder ,looks like turned midnight for her departure now.  

I saw Ventura looking beautiful as I came back from the Island, didn't realise she had issues. 

Andy 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I saw Ventura looking beautiful as I came back from the Island, didn't realise she had issues. 

Andy 

All I have is your local paper   https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/23059519.p-o-ventura-cruise-ship-stuck-southampton/     and cruise cam  below .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

Well it's 12˚C here this morning and 22˚C inside with no heating on... so at least some of our heat conservation measures have worked! The switching of the cooker hood to recirculate using the carbon filters seems to have made one of the biggest differences.

We had a small local power-cut the other day... something to do with an underground cable... and we learned a lot. We'll now keep the torches in an easy to access spot where we can find them in the pitch dark! We'll leave matches by the candles and we'll keep the mobiles powered up so that we can receive the texts from our energy supplier! 

As a back-up we have about a dozen remote control electronic candles (Christmas decs!) spread throughout the house so that we can have a little immediate light. The thermal mugs have been retrieved from the shed, the camping stove has been filled with gas and the food flask has been washed and freshened. We've even bought two little microwaveable bed-warmers for next to nothing from the local chemist.
I need to eat at regular times and so we've easy instant meals that can be produced in just a few minutes and kept hot in the food flask. It's all from cans or we've batch cooked it... beef casserole and dumplings, lamb hotpot, chicken in white wine with rice, curry and naans, mince and (instant) tatties, stewed steak and (canned) carrots, pasta in bolognaise sauce... not exactly "haute cuisine" but we must have learned something in our camping years about producing quick, easy, filling grub!

Anyway on this occasion...our power was on again minutes later. We had regular texts keeping us informed what was happening, we were given an emergency contact number. Neighbours even came out to check we were ok! 

But... it did cross our minds that... cruising might be a very, very nice alternative!

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We'll now keep the torches in an easy to access spot where we can find them in the pitch dark! We'll leave matches by the candles and we'll keep the mobiles powered up so that we can receive the texts from our energy supplier! 

As a back-up we have about a dozen remote control electronic candles (Christmas decs!) spread throughout the house so that we can have a little immediate light. 

But... it did cross our minds that... cruising might be a very, very nice alternative!

Glad you saw the light in the end 😉

Glad you got your power back on . Every time we get a power cut I feel so......powerless.:classic_unsure:

• Haha 5

45 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We had regular texts keeping us informed what was happening, we were given an emergency contact number.

Worth remembering that in a full scale regional power cut, the mobile phone network will not be operational. 

Also, if you have a cordless landline phone, that also will not work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Worth remembering that in a full scale regional power cut, the mobile phone network will not be operational. 

Blimey. Only been asleep for a few hours and didn't realise 1950 had invaded.🤔

• Haha 8

28 minutes ago, kalos said:

Glad you saw the light in the end 😉

Glad you got your power back on . Every time we get a power cut I feel so......powerless.:classic_unsure:

I think I need to pop to the shops for some candles. Anyone know how many I should ask for?.

• Haha 7

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We keep a old type landline phone for just such an emergency, have only needed it once in years.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think I need to pop to the shops for some candles. Anyone know how many I should ask for?.

We have a lady who makes our candles ,we asked for four :classic_unsure:

4CANDLES.jpeg.6d7f911937780df830ce077c7780f23e.jpeg

• Haha 10

Just to mention my fridge again (boring, I know) - there was only one suitable for under a high placed cupboard - no more than136 cm. - and it was from Currys.  Came promptly, efficient chaps, but it was higher than their measurements, and went in by only about 2 cms.!  If it had not they would have had to take it away.  Food delivery  came later, by which time it was pretty cold.  A big relief, as I prefer not to have to do things like this in a hurry.

Another nice but breezy day here.  I'm avoiding the TV news, too sad and depressing for various reasons.

Hope all you regulars are well and cheerful; it is good for our morale to read  nice upbeat news.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

We keep a old type landline phone for just such an emergency, have only needed it once in years.

If you're the only person with a working phone during the apparent imminent armagedon...........who you gonna call?.🤔

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Just to mention my fridge again (boring, I know) - there was only one suitable for under a high placed cupboard - no more than136 cm. - and it was from Currys.  Came promptly, efficient chaps, but it was higher than their measurements, and went in by only about 2 cms.!  If it had not they would have had to take it away.  Food delivery  came later, by which time it was pretty cold.  A big relief, as I prefer not to have to do things like this in a hurry.

Another nice but breezy day here.  I'm avoiding the TV news, too sad and depressing for various reasons.

Hope all you regulars are well and cheerful; it is good for our morale to read  nice upbeat news.

Best to avoid all the sad and depressing news. Any tips on how to reheat gruel without any power.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If you're the only person with a working phone during the apparent imminent armagedon...........who you gonna call?.🤔

🎶GHOST BUSTERS  ! 🎶   Sorry couldn't resist ☺️

• Haha 10

You can call me - or my children or quite a few of my friends.  Some of us only have pay as you go mobiles, as we don't use them a lot, and included calls on the landline.  In fact, thinking about it, pretty much everyone in my village has a landline, and they are not all ancient.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You can call me - or my children or quite a few of my friends.  Some of us only have pay as you go mobiles, as we don't use them a lot, and included calls on the landline.  In fact, thinking about it, pretty much everyone in my village has a landline, and they are not all ancient.

Cordless handsets won't work. If the mobile networks go down, so will pay as you go. But as this is  lighthearted banter it doesn't matter as most folk have manual corkscrews, so can have a few warming beverages until the leccy comes back on.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Hopefully if power cuts happen they will. be rotated like in the 1970s,  this reminds me of an incident that happened then.

I worked in the Power Industry at that time, our small estate had two different supp!y  lines, sometimes only some houses had power.

One night a knock came at our door, a neighbour stood there saying you have power and ours is off, I bet it's because you work for the Generating Board.

I said actually I bring home a bucket full every night.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

And if you’ve been switched over to Digital Voice for your landline, and that’s soon going to be all of us (even rural Lincolnshire!), even the main landline phone won’t work because it relies on a mains router.

BT’s approach is that you’ll still be able to make emergency calls from a mobile, but round here when the power goes down (not infrequently), so do the mobile transmitters! 

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/broadband/article/digital-voice-and-the-landline-phone-switch-off-what-it-means-for-you-aPSOH8k1i6Vv

• Like 2

Silly me - of course the cordless landline will not work for long.  I have got one old fashioned one plus two cordless.   A good idea when you are older, to have one fairly near you all the time.   I suppose most people now only have cordless.  Don't like the sound of digital voice or understand what it is about.  Some kind person will no doubt explain.