P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My bank always warn about scams and also provide the last 4 numbers of my account and my name when contacting me online.

Our bank does the same using the last 4 numbers of the account but.......🤔 I know I may be an over-cautious fool, but I don't reply to those either and prefer to contact the bank personally.

Avril

• Like 3

Just now, Adawn47 said:

Our bank does the same using the last 4 numbers of the account but.......🤔 I know I may be an over-cautious fool, but I don't reply to those either and prefer to contact the bank personally.

Avril

I never reply either.

The bank app notifications on my phone in a few seconds of money in or out is great for security.

• Like 4

I have noticed an increased number of people knocking on my door. Opening gambit is always"just doing some work for your neighbours blah blah". Then comes the "special offer, blah blah" . I personally would never buy any service from a cold caller. Beware as there are a lot of scams around. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

I have noticed an increased number of people knocking on my door. Opening gambit is always"just doing some work for your neighbours blah blah". Then comes the "special offer, blah blah" . I personally would never buy any service from a cold caller. Beware as there are a lot of scams around. 

We live in an ex council house, and even though it doesn't look like one, is ideal for dealing with this. I just smile and say ' it's a council house'😁

Works like a dream.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

We have been to the dentist today, we also had hygienist appointments too, she was off sick, the dentist did our check-ups and then said not to bother rearranging the hygienist appointments because there was nothing that she would need to do.  I have to wonder how many times we have seen the hygienist unnecessarily.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Yep we get them ,now and again ,they start with "your ok .I'm not selling "

I just give them the poker face look with "Good as I never buy "

They go onto "it's a survey ..Who do you bank ,buy electric off ? ".Or other such things .

Then I give a little cough and say " Sorry I should not be talking to you , while I'm testing 

positive "

For some reason they go back up the path faster than the came down it . 🙃

• Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have been to the dentist today, we also had hygienist appointments too, she was off sick, the dentist did our check-ups and then said not to bother rearranging the hygienist appointments because there was nothing that she would need to do.  I have to wonder how many times we have seen the hygienist unnecessarily.

That’s an interesting point. I think the last time either my wife or I saw a hygienist must have been 40 years ago - it’s never been suggested even. I do remember dentists doing a scale and polish, but that was a very long time ago too. Maybe it’s one of those things that’s not really necessary but is a nice little profit centre. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

I'm pleased you have finally got to talk to your oncologist and that your treatment plan is now a bit clearer. Did your insurance provider give you any other options or will you have to find another provider? 

No, I have had to find another insurance provider.

I have received a phone call from the hospital today with a pre appointment for Tuesday, 30th May (as we are away til just before then).  Things seem to be moving pretty quickly now. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I would have just posted mine 2,653 Funny Dentures Images, Stock Photos & Vectors ...

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Our dentist like most up here have gone private at Short Notice.

It used to cost about £26 for a check up and hygienist on the NHS which you are entitled to them both.

It is now £60 for the check up and an additional £60 for the hygienist.

If your dentist is still NHS I would get a hygienist appointment as it was not your fault the hygienist was off as it is included in the NHS prices.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

It used to cost £29 for a check up and hygienist on the NHS which you are entitled to them both.

If your dentist is still NHS I would get a hygienist appointment as it was not your fault the hygienist was off as it is included in the NHS prices.

That’s an excellent point, Graham. I wonder how many dentists are actually providing that service within the Scale 1 charge*.

Having said that, I wonder how many former NHS dentists are still offering treatment under the NHS.

Band 1: £25.80

Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish (if clinically needed), and planning for further treatment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yep we get them ,now and again ,they start with "your ok .I'm not selling "

I just give them the poker face look with "Good as I never buy "

They go onto "it's a survey ..Who do you bank ,buy electric off ? ".Or other such things .

Then I give a little cough and say " Sorry I should not be talking to you , while I'm testing 

positive "

For some reason they go back up the path faster than the came down it . 🙃

Thank you Kalos I will do that next time.

We never use our house phone so when it rings it's usually a scam.

Pauline says to them 

How do you sleep at night when you are scamming people? and puts the phone down.

My late mam kept a whistle next to the phone and if it wasn't family she would blow the whistle into the phone speaker.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s an interesting point. I think the last time either my wife or I saw a hygienist must have been 40 years ago - it’s never been suggested even. I do remember dentists doing a scale and polish, but that was a very long time ago too. Maybe it’s one of those things that’s not really necessary but is a nice little profit centre. 

When I go for a check-up, the dentist always includes a scale and polish as well.

Avril

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It used to cost £29 for a check up and hygienist on the NHS which you are entitled to them both.

Unfortunately like most dentists ours went private a years ago when the government reduced their pay per patient so we now pay £55 each to both  the dentist and hygienist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon Everyone

Just a quick update from Southwold:

We are staying in a beautiful little house which has everything except reliable WiFi!  The weather has been so kind to us and we've walked along the seafront every day in brilliant sunshine. All rain has happened overnight. Ted is shattered with the long walks and sea air but he's very much enjoying meeting all the other dogs.

The Coronation weekend here was truly awful. It was like Chelsea/Hampstead on sea. The amount of free-range Jontys and Jemimas, Tarquins and Tristrams running amok without any parental control was embarrassing. However, they all packed up and left on Monday night and Southwold is once more as lovely as ever - and miserable old gits like me can enjoy it once again!

Be well and take care all. Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 13

Just now, Adawn47 said:

When I go for a check-up, the dentist always includes a scale and polish as well.

Avril

Excellent, Avril. I knew someone who always used to travel back to Rotherham for her dental work because she reckoned they were better and cheaper. Maybe there are fewer rip-off merchants in South Yorkshire. Maybe they know it wouldn’t be tolerated!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Unfortunately like most dentists ours went private a years ago when the government reduced their pay per patient so we now pay £55 each to both  the dentist and hygienist.

Nice earner for the dentist/hygienist for 10 minutes work in total.

It makes you wonder how many times you have paid for the hygienist when it was not necessary.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Excellent, Avril. I knew someone who always used to travel back to Rotherham for her dental work because she reckoned they were better and cheaper. Maybe there are fewer rip-off merchants in South Yorkshire. Maybe they know it wouldn’t be tolerated!

I don't think that there are less rip-off merchants Harry, we're just more canny with our brass.😉

'How much'!!!!? 😮

Avril

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Afternoon Everyone

Just a quick update from Southwold:

We are staying in a beautiful little house which has everything except reliable WiFi!  The weather has been so kind to us and we've walked along the seafront every day in brilliant sunshine. All rain has happened overnight. Ted is shattered with the long walks and sea air but he's very much enjoying meeting all the other dogs.

The Coronation weekend here was truly awful. It was like Chelsea/Hampstead on sea. The amount of free-range Jontys and Jemimas, Tarquins and Tristrams running amok without any parental control was embarrassing. However, they all packed up and left on Monday night and Southwold is once more as lovely as ever - and miserable old gits like me can enjoy it once again!

Be well and take care all. Best wishes. Jane xxx

Wonderful, Jane. Rich Londoners have got a lot to answer for in despoiling Norfolk and Suffolk. Back in the 60s when we lived in Suffolk, places like Aldeburgh and Southwold were just normal, unspoiled seaside towns, and all the better for it. Affordable to everyone. Felixstowe is tipped now!

Don’t suppose you saw Michael Palin’s play ‘East of Ipswich’ on BBC4 the other night about holidays in Southwold in the 50s/60s?  Delightful, as you’d expect.

Enjoy the rest of your break. 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

No, I have had to find another insurance provider.

I have received a phone call from the hospital today with a pre appointment for Tuesday, 30th May (as we are away til just before then).  Things seem to be moving pretty quickly now. 

Our insurer who we had for 10 years when we phoned to say I had a minor heart attack immediately cancelled our policy and said I wouldn't have been covered if we hadn't rang them.

Fortunately there are a few medical insurers who will insure you but at a premium.

I'm pleased you seem to be getting something done Pam and pray everything works out well for you.

Graham x.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wonderful, Jane. Rich Londoners have got a lot to answer for in despoiling Norfolk and Suffolk. Back in the 60s when we lived in Suffolk, places like Aldeburgh and Southwold were just normal, unspoiled seaside towns, and all the better for it. Affordable to everyone. Felixstowe is tipped now!

Don’t suppose you saw Michael Palin’s play ‘East of Ipswich’ on BBC4 the other night about holidays in Southwold in the 50s/60s?  Delightful, as you’d expect.

Enjoy the rest of your break. 🙂

Thanks Harry. I didn't see the programme but I will catch it up when I get home. Interested to hear your comment about Felixstowe- we'll keep an eye out for it.  Jane xx

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our insurer who we had for 10 years when we phoned to say I had a minor heart attack immediately cancelled our policy and said I wouldn't have been covered if we hadn't rang them.

Fortunately there are a few medical insurers who will insure you but at a premium.

I'm pleased you seem to be getting something done Pam and pray everything works out well for you.

Graham x.

We also had to find a new insurer when our insurer cancelled our policy when DH had 2 heart valves replaced and 1 repaired. We have since been insured with Staysure who have managed to keep the premiums reasonable even though one valve still leaks slightly which is why he can no longer fly.

The really strange thing is that we were told that he had been born with faulty heart valves and it had never been picked up until he was 49.  You just don't know what is going on inside your body.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m with Denplan and have 2 check ups every year and 3-4 hygienist appointments.  The hygienist is very thorough and the whole treatment takes about 35 minutes. I always think of it as a spa treatment, very pleasant and feel-good. 

• Like 3