P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I watched it and it brought back memories of my friends and I walking the 4 miles home from school because they had taken the buses off; most definitely wouldn't happen now! 

Listening to the plummy voices of the presenters took me back too and although they sounded strange for 2020, I decided I preferred their voices to the ones we sometimes get today who substitute a 'v' or an 'f' for a 'th' - those who say 'fanks', and 'I fink' etc.  Funnily enough it doesn't bother me when accompanied by a cockney accent (I love regional accents), but it has spread like a rash throughout the country and it's like fingernails down a blackboard to my ears, even though Cliff Michelmore et al are proof of how language changes down the generations.  Even the Queen doesn't speak as she did when young!

Then there's the massacring of the 'ing' sound, as in sayin', thinkin' etc. Beth Rigby and Priti Patel are both guilty of this one and Wiki tells me that Ms Rigby is a graduate of the University of Cambridge, so it's nowt to do with intelligence or education.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 8

People from Southampton never pronounce it that way it's Sa-thampton.

And people from Manchester pronounce it wrong it's Manchister and Winchester is Winchister. But I do call Chester Chester not Chister so maybe it's me.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Apart from the f fing, I think I speak quite well, definitely not 'estuary English', although I am a Romford boy. 

Why does this bother people so much when Northerners go t'werk etc? 

Cue Kalos or Brian with a comment about Beyonce... 😊

Andy 

Sorry Andy. Not really criticising the way anyone speaks - just curious really about that effing thing!  I was born in Essex, back in the 50s before the London influence took over, but have lived all over the place and have an indiscriminate ‘southern’ accent.

I think the difference between Estuary (and I’m not suggesting you use that - not that it matters) and regional accents is that Estuary has spread and continues to spread, wiping out all the native accents. A bit like grey squirrels.

I celebrate the differences between the various Yorkshire and Lancashire accents, the different Lincolnshire accents, the very distinct Hull and Bristol accents, all the accents.

I’d hate to see them wiped out by the advance of Estuary English! 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Then there's the massacring of the 'ing' sound, as in sayin', thinkin' etc. Beth Rigby and Priti Patel are both guilty of this one and Wiki tells me that Ms Rigby is a graduate of the University of Cambridge, so it's nowt to do with intelligence or education.

With you on that! It was, maybe still is, an affectation of the ‘upper classes’ and I suspect some of our politicians think it sounds posh. Some of them also seem to be putting on fake accents to cover over their original ones for the same reason. It doesn’t work - they just sound silly.

Anyone remember Nancy Mitford, and her U and non-U English?

Pass the fish knives please. 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

. I put it down to some kind of speech thing at the time, but I imagine it was, in Colchester, an early indication of the beginnings of the ubiquitous spread of Estuary English.

As someone born and bred in Colchester in the 50s and 60s, I can't say that I, or any of my friends spoke Estuary English. I think it spread into NE Essex in the late 70s with the influx of Londoners.

While things are quiet, I thought I would have a glance at some of the newspaper

headlines today .

It seems some are getting perturbed by a few newly installed monoliths :classic_ohmy:

A fuss over nothing , we have had them in our town for years ,KFC and McDonalds

have them. Simply drive up to them and scream at them ...

"Two Happy meals with drinks please "  Wait for an inaudible reply and then drive to

a window where you will be given said meal :classic_smile:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Anyone remember Nancy Mitford, and her U and non-U English?

Pass the fish knives please. 😃

Oh dear😮, that's the end of our virtual relationship, unless you intend passing them to the refuse collection team, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, kalos said:

Ten years ago was a good snow storm around here but the classic one was 

when I was aged 7 and we had a belter back in 1963.

So did the rest of the UK that year :classic_unsure:

Just been watching a program on BBC 4  showing how bad it was back then .

You do realise that we all now know how old you are don't you?😁

Avril

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

With you on that! It was, maybe still is, an affectation of the ‘upper classes’ and I suspect some of our politicians think it sounds posh. Some of them also seem to be putting on fake accents to cover over their original ones for the same reason. It doesn’t work - they just sound silly.

Yes, as in Lord Peter Wimsey. And some seem to exaggerate their northern-ness (if there is such a word) - Tess Daly springs to mind, who occasionally forgets to say "joodges".

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You do realise that we all now know how old you are don't you?😁

Avril

Yes I do and  some people make fun of me because I have a baby face.
What can I say?..... I was born with it.:classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As someone born and bred in Colchester in the 50s and 60s, I can't say that I, or any of my friends spoke Estuary English. I think it spread into NE Essex in the late 70s with the influx of Londoners.

I’d agree with you, up to a point. I think it depended very much who you mixed with at that time. My younger cousin picked it up earlier than that, and it came from school. His older sister didn’t. Both Colchester.

Remember those paddle boats in the Castle Gardens?

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I celebrate the differences between the various Yorkshire and Lancashire accents, the different Lincolnshire accents, the very distinct Hull and Bristol accents, all the accents.

Being a West Yorkshire boy I dern't know what you're talking about! I bet my pals in South Yorkshire dun't know either.

I can't ask anyone in Hull at the moment because they're all werking outsaaaaard. 😉

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

That's strange,  the snow was really bad and lasted for months even the sea froze in places.

It was the worst winter since 1947 and that was one of the worst ever on record.

That was the year I was born and I was told dad had to dig a path down to the road so the midwife could get through, and that was in April!!! I was born in Middlesex and the photos I've seen are around that area are unbelievable. One that sticks in my mind is of a red phone box hidden under the snow and a path dug out to get to it. Two huge white snow walls either side of the path, so high they looked like glaciers.

Avril

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Being a West Yorkshire boy I dern't know what you're talking about! I bet my pals in South Yorkshire dun't know either.

I can't ask anyone in Hull at the moment because they're all werking outsaaaaard. 😉

I bet people who wouldn't know no better think they are on a script for 

The Last Of The Summer Wine   today :classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That was the year I was born and I was told dad had to dig a path down to the road so the midwife could get through, and that was in April!!! I was born in Middlesex and the photos I've seen are around that area are unbelievable. One that sticks in my mind is of a red phone box hidden under the snow and a path dug out to get to it. Two huge white snow walls either side of the path, so high they looked like glaciers.

Avril

Did you see any Vikings ?  Asking for a friend ?? :classic_unsure:

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Avril lass , 'em Soverners are callin agin .wha' t' 'ell are t' sayin naw ? :classic_wink:

Bro is saying  '' flippin' 'eck kid a'm rate glad tha cant 'ear me. Up t'ammas'😁 That aw rate fo thee kalos?

Avril

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I was born in April the year before you Avril, I was a baby in 1947 but I later heard stories of snow half way up the telephone poles and laying on the ground in sheltered areas until June.

57 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I was born in April the year before you Avril, I was a baby in 1947 but I later heard stories of snow half way up the telephone poles and laying on the ground in sheltered areas until June.

I remember my parents talking about the winter of 1947 and that it was all everyone needed not long after the war ended.

• Like 3