River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

20 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Just announced for Canada : All international travellers not only have to have a 72 hr test, but another one upon landing at one of the 4 approved airports.  Then they will have to stay in an approved hotel at their own expense (estimated about $2000.00) until they get a negative test, where they will finish out their quarantine as filed in your quarantine plan.

Major airlines (and holiday airlines) will be cancelling all flights to the Caribbean destinations and Mexico until April 30.

One thing to add, if your test comes back positive you will be moved to a government location for the rest of your quarantine.

Not disagreeing with Daisi, just emphasizing that even with 2 negative tests, you are still required to quarantine for a total of 14 days on arrival, 3 in the approved hotel, the rest as in your quarantine plan.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

Just listening to the Q&A with the Prime Minister.

The $2000 covers the PCR test, the hotel stay (with enhanced procedures at the hotel) and, if positive, the stay in a government facility for your quarantine.

Just got home from having our jabs, Phizer so hopefully there will be no import problems when it comes to getting our second jab. CA

On the same day as our beautiful eldest daughter has tested positive for this dreaded disease.

Edited by Canal archive

The EU has approved the AstraZeneca vaccine: https://www.dw.com/en/eu-medicine-agency-approves-astrazeneca-coronavirus-vaccine/a-56378814

They acknowledge the doubts of the German health bodies but say it is effective enough to give to all age groups, just that there is insufficient data to see how effective in the over 55's.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is 66% effective, but when you think about it that is not too bad, still more than flu vaccines in bad years.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Just got home from having our jabs, Phizer so hopefully there will be no import problems when it comes to getting our second jab. CA

On the same day as our beautiful eldest daughter has tested positive for this dreaded disease.

1. Good to hear your vaccine appointment went smoothly

2. Bug***! All the best to your daughter. Young-ish age should give her much hope of mild symptoms, but a shock nevertheless. Thinking of you.

notamermaid

So impressed with the organisation there were even volunteers from the rotary directing traffic (small car park) They are open from 8 till 6 and not one person has missed or changed there appointment, this could be because of their age, almost a social distancing masked party air.

I will let my daughter know. She is a personal trainer and Pilates instructor she is worried as she works with stroke and accident patients after they leave the tender care of the physio therapists that they will miss out so is try to set up more technical screen time for them, bless her. CA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Second seating said:

0-19.jpeg.5d325ddd524b211065f63bc2e6a54c51.jpeg
I got the first dose of the Pfizer Vaccine today here in NH.  It was a drive through and it was wicked cold.  I felt sorry for the National Guard and local fire department running this!

Congrats on the shot! So you get the 2nd one in 3 or 4 weeks?  

Pfizer should be 21 +/- 4 days until dose #2. Though if it's longer than that, it still should work.

Chris got her Moderna #2 on Wednesday. She was KOed for most of yesterday. Had a fever Wednesday night, and had intermittent periods of exhaustion yesterday. She took a few doses of ibuprofen to break the fever, and while it was down she had some bursts of energy, but when the fever came back she was wiped out.

Today was back to pretty much normal for her. Her arm feels better already though it still looks swollen (or she's been working out and has a killer deltoid - not sure).

CA, our best wishes to your daughter for mild symptoms and a speedy recovery.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Today was back to pretty much normal for her. Her arm feels better already though it still looks swollen (or she's been working out and has a killer deltoid - not sure).

Buy her a second weight so she can do both arms! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Pfizer should be 21 +/- 4 days until dose #2. Though if it's longer than that, it still should work.

Chris got her Moderna #2 on Wednesday. She was KOed for most of yesterday. Had a fever Wednesday night, and had intermittent periods of exhaustion yesterday. She took a few doses of ibuprofen to break the fever, and while it was down she had some bursts of energy, but when the fever came back she was wiped out.

CA, our best wishes to your daughter for mild symptoms and a speedy recovery.

Hi JP, tell Chris hi from me and hope she is doing better🙂

• Thanks 1

Good to read about the vaccinations from you, people. I had actually not realized how many health care workers have been vaccinated here in Germany. Read the statistics today, more than I had thought. Roll-out has slowed down due to the production shortages, but with now three vaccines approved and more coming things are looking not as bleak as a few days ago. I reckon I have no chance of getting a vaccine before May. I will feel more at ease when my relatives and friends that are older will have been vaccinated, I can live with waiting for my jab.

I have just read that Germany is now imposing travel restrictions on countries with variants. That includes the UK. This will run until 17 February. Extension possible of course.

notamermaid

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP, tell Chris hi from me and hope she is doing better🙂

Lois, she says thanks back at you. Just a little headache this afternoon but pretty much back to her usual energetic self. I cooked her a nice steak for dinner with sweet potato fries and a California Cabernet. Just doing my part.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Buy her a second weight so she can do both arms! :classic_biggrin:

She got a good laugh at that one! 

So as per the usual during this pandemic, more home remodeling is in the works. We're finishing a good chunk of the basement. We will put in a nice dance floor and another bathroom, but la pièce de résistance will be a "wine cave" off to one side of the dance floor. Nice dark stone walls, and a tile floor, with lots of room for lounging and wine tasting. The wine cellar will be adorned with dark wooden cabinets and floating glass shelves.

We met with the builder today and picked out most of the specifics. If we can't travel to Italy, at least we can try to bring it home and build it in our basement! Looking forward to the end results.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I can't help with the dancing, but if you need a second opinion on the contents of the wine cafe – I'm your man!

We are thinking about a LI trip this Spring. We'll have to grab some wine for the cellar while we're there!

55 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We are thinking about a LI trip this Spring. We'll have to grab some wine for the cellar while we're there!

LI is very blessed with its climate (except for hurricanes).  Spring comes there a little (but noticeable) while before even where we are just north of the city – must be ages before you see spring upstate!

After many failed attempts, I got through to the NYS website this evening and got a vaccine appointment for April 5.  DW got stuck in a loop after choosing a dead-end day, and then the website crashed.  But one thing I have is perseverance – I refreshed every few minutes and just after midnight the site came back up.  I shot past all the earlier dates [figuring others were crashing them] and was able to get her an appointment on the same day and time as me!  Praise the Lord and pass the vaccine!

• Like 2

All the best for your daughter, Canal Archive.

My daughter in London just had her test prior to boarding her escape flight to New Zealand.  Thank goodness she and her partner tested negative, or else they would have been left jobless and homeless in London for another three months, waiting for a New Zealand quarantine spot.

Now we just have to pray that the flight isn't cancelled.

• Like 1

@djh1959 

Hope all goes well with the flight. Fewer and fewer escape routes away from the island. A detour via Ireland may still work, the EU is trying to cut off Britain. But I am sure they have looked into it. Just in case.

I can vaguely imagine the huge relief you will feel when they have arrived at their destination.

Travelling: I have just read that 

France is banning all entry from non-EU countries

which now includes the UK of course (Brexit for better and for worse), but excludes hauliers from Britain.

Novartis pharmaceuticals company now also wants to help out with the BioNTech vaccine production, according to Bloomberg (and other sources). Good for us all (and should boost the company shares value - is it too late for me to buy some?).

Bad news at the end: both the UK and the South African variant have been found in Rhineland-Palatinate. 

The idea of returning to river cruising in Europe in March for more than just German tourists amomg themselves or the Dutch among themselves is laughable, in this case I have to be the realist, rather than the marketing employee optimist.

notamermaid

Luckily we have stopped all flying out of the U.K. for holidays. Interesting that the trucks can still run business must continue!

I only have a slightly stiff arm and a bit achy after the jab yesterday but then it is raining and I do have osteoarthritis.

Hopefully the spate about the vaccine is over and we can all settle down and get everyone vaccinated the sooner the better. 
Although I worry about those who will not get vaccinated for whatever reason.

Son in law has now tested positive! CA

USA is having terrible vaccine distribution problems.  In my state, MA, towns wishing to have vaccine clinics (how many of us get flu shots) have been promised ONLY 100 doses per week.  So cities of 100K plus people get the same as little mountain towns of 700 people.  MA seems to be focusing on vaccine mega-sites where elderly are expected to stand in line outside for hours--very bad optic.

We get flu shots from thousands of places---town clinics, pharmacies, clinics at work, from nurses at our doctor's offices, etc.  That seems to work.  Having a few gigantic sites where people wait for hours is NOT the way to go.  We have several cities of 100K population that do not have a vaccination site in town or even in the town next door.  People wait online for HOURS only to be told "no vaccine within 50 miles of your home".

My state is a total mess.

@djh1959, here's hoping everything goes well with the flight, and they can be home soon.

We have been "told" that the EU will not hold back our vaccines, so hopefully that is good news.  While this week there will be a bit of a delay, they do say that we are still going to be on schedule to have everyone vaccinated by Aug/Sept.  Only time will tell.  Due to our age, we are in the late category, but that's fine as in our area, our numbers are low so if we can keep being careful we will make it.  I will be glad come spring when my 2 sets of parents can be vaccinated.  Nice as it is to have them living on their own, if they were in a home, they could have possibly have had the vaccine by now.