River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Daisy, the polar vortex Dave Phillips (Canadian climate guru) predicted for Ontario next week is not going to hit here, but somewhere to the west, so no need to get the winter woolies out yet.

Down here in the banana belt it was +4C and damp.

RB 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Daisy, the polar vortex Dave Phillips (Canadian climate guru) predicted for Ontario next week is not going to hit here, but somewhere to the west, so no need to get the winter woolies out yet.

Down here in the banana belt it was +4C and damp.

RB 

I follow AccuWeather...they are calling for the next  2 weeks to be  in -8 / -9C range for daytime highs.  If that's our cold this winter, I'm going to be pulling the summer clothes out soon. 🙂

45 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@jklc123, we are wondering where winter is here as well.  Normally January is down to the -20 C range for daytime.  It feels weird to see the ducks swimming down the creek in our backyard, we don't usually get them until spring when it thaws.  They say we are to expect colder weather soon, but I'm not complaining.  

We have had a mild winter so far also. Heck - it was in the 50's here the other day. Not a lot of snow today but very high winds.

Yes 1C is mild 🙂 

We have 1 to 4 Celsius in the valley during the day and find it a bit on the mild side for January. Hardly any snow. But this night will see minus 10 in the hills. Which is proper winter. Snow is coming, hopefully on my doorstep this time. So far it has not settled on the ground this winter for more than a couple of hours I am at too low an altitude. But I have been able to see snow on the hills in the distance which always makes me cheer up.

In Europe the weather has been a bit crazy too. Madrid has had more snow in a few days than the Middle Rhine valley has seen all season so far. The Upper Rhine valley has had more. Photos from Breisach and Freiburg look lovely.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 1:45 PM, acwmom said:

Here is the link to the Nebraska registry.  

https://nesiis-dhhs-prod.ne.gov/prd_ir/public/clientSearch.do?language=en

Just returned from dose #1. Didn't feel a thing! Will see what tomorrow brings.

IMG_5898.png

so did you take a pic of your vaccine card and add it to your apple wallet?

5 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

so did you take a pic of your vaccine card and add it to your apple wallet?

I don’t have that option right now. As Coral mentioned previously, it’s a trial in California. I did take a picture and have it stored on my msecure app.

Robin

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I don’t have that option right now. As Coral mentioned previously, it’s a trial in California. I did take a picture and have it stored on my msecure app.

Robin

Hi Robin, haven't seen you in a long time....hope you doing well. I know CAL looks just horrific

with cases☹️.........hope you staying safe and well.

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

Robin

I am hoping once vaccinations get ramped up - that it becomes nationwide/world wide. It obviously will be something that will probably be needed to show in a variety of situations (flying, cruises, events, possibly school, etc...).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Robin, haven't seen you in a long time....hope you doing well. I know CAL looks just horrific

with cases☹️.........hope you staying safe and well.

I am in Northern KY, and while cases here are high, we have been sheltering for the most part. Saving money by not eating out, doing grocery pick up. It is having an adverse effect on my youngest son though, he’s in college and suffering with virtual learning. He has some special needs, and the lack of in person instruction, as well as collegiality, are both taking a toll on him. He ended up dropping 2/3 classes this semester, and is happier now, as a result. I think the effects of Covid, both physical and mental, are going to be with us for a very long time.

I hope all is well with you! It’s good to see you posting again.

Robin

39 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I am in Northern KY, and while cases here are high, we have been sheltering for the most part. Saving money by not eating out, doing grocery pick up. It is having an adverse effect on my youngest son though, he’s in college and suffering with virtual learning. He has some special needs, and the lack of in person instruction, as well as collegiality, are both taking a toll on him. He ended up dropping 2/3 classes this semester, and is happier now, as a result. I think the effects of Covid, both physical and mental, are going to be with us for a very long time.

I hope all is well with you! It’s good to see you posting again.

Robin

Hey....OMG...I must have been having a Sr moment.......for some reason I thought you were 

in California.......sorry!  Glad you are ok up in Kentucky though!  Hope your

son will be ok!

On 1/14/2021 at 1:17 AM, Canal archive said:

Daisi, you hear that all over the world about wine, the Spanish keep the best Riojas at home the Canadians keep their wines really close to home, many years ago we discovered South African wines. It’s good fun trying all these different varieties. Notamermaid your right about our reds so we’re working on that. The West Country is the place for Cider just be careful of the scrumpy especially the orange coloured ones. So enjoy testing them. CA

I have heard that, in the sense that for many years the sweeter white wines were shipped to England and the Germans kept the dryer ones for themselves. They say that the Franken people drink most of their wine themselves. Not sure if that is true.

Thanks for the tip with the cider. I did not know that the West Country is known for it.

Talking of West Country. Salisbury Cathedral has become a vaccination centre. So has Lichfield Cathedral (which is of course not in the West country). Found this video on the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-55683025

Odd, but perfect for social distancing, the place is huge! Beats your local village hall. :classic_wink: I had never thought of going to Lichfield, have only ever vaguely heard of it, now it is on my "must go to that cathedral" list.

notamermaid

Remember the zoo I mentioned? It is in Neuwied in the North of Rhineland-Palatinate (nice hillside grounds at a forest) and I read in the papers that after the article in the newspaper and the "cry for help" went out, people soon donated money and there were more online ticket sales it seems, so within a week they had collected 250,000 euros. Monies due from the state authorities were also transferred earlier, so the zoo has been saved.

Now nearly 1.2 million Germans have been vaccinated and the first people got their second shot yesterday.

Our nationwide lockdown has been extended to 14 February. We will hear details from our state minister tomorrow.

No work for me till that date at least. More time to think, less money coming in. Still, could be much worse. With a bit more daylight now and another two weeks of semi-boredom, it is time to start sorting out the attic. It is a big one I share with neighbours.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We are well on the way to 5 million but I think the most wonderful thing apart from the fact that we have a vaccine is that we are using some of the most superb gothic cathedrals for vaccination centres these beautiful buildings have offered sanctuary to all peoples of all ethnicities and creeds for hundreds of years then around the corner is the most modern shiny and up to date structure you could imagine. A quote from a volunteer at one of the cathedrals today was about the people arriving for their jab were dressed to impress, because they don’t get out much but also we’re they are going.

We are getting there, keep up the good work wherever you are in our wonderful world. CA

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

We are well on the way to 5 million but I think the most wonderful thing apart from the fact that we have a vaccine is that we are using some of the most superb gothic cathedrals for vaccination centres these beautiful buildings have offered sanctuary to all peoples of all ethnicities and creeds for hundreds of years then around the corner is the most modern shiny and up to date structure you could imagine. A quote from a volunteer at one of the cathedrals today was about the people arriving for their jab were dressed to impress, because they don’t get out much but also we’re they are going.

We are getting there, keep up the good work wherever you are in our wonderful world. CA

Here in the Boston area, Gillette Stadium, home of the NE Patriot football team is a vaccine center.  I guess you could call it a Cathedral of American Football???

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Here in the Boston area, Gillette Stadium, home of the NE Patriot football team is a vaccine center.  I guess you could call it a Cathedral of American Football???

And it makes sure that no New Yorkers try to sneak in to jump the line! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We seem to use empty warehouses, large village halls and sports parks (which are usually a combination of halls and outdoor sports grounds). Kind of envious of the cathedral setting. The cathedral vaccinations even made it into the Cologne Cathedral news online reporting. And in Switzerland media it says that in Salisbury Cathedral the old reverend of 88 years got his jab dressed in his cassock and to the sound of organ music!

Wonder if using Wembley Stadium would make football fans happy.

One could also extend this to other sectors of society, but I do not think a river cruise ship would be suitable, unfortunately. They should be used as quarantine hotels, though. Have companies considered offering that? Tons of them sitting around idly in Cologne harbour for example. Our how about as home office. Yes, I will apply for home office on a river cruise ship as a tourism project. Now where is my boss's phone number...

:classic_biggrin: 

notamermaid

35 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

We have been watching some of the Presidential inauguration it was well done considering the challenges, but them I’m a huge fan of Garth Brooks. CA

Thank God Lady Gaga didn't wear her meat 🥩 dress when she sang the national anthem. 😁  And now I want to be Poet Laureate of the US.  Amanda Gorman did an amazing job. 

Edited by Roz

25 minutes ago, Roz said:

Thank God Lady Gaga didn't wear her meat 🥩 dress when she sang the national anthem. 😁  And now I want to be Poet Laureate of the US.  Amanda Gorman did an amazing job. 

It was all amazing and I agree with you.......Amanda was awesome👍

• Like 3

The officials have debated and spoken. We have a lockdown till 14 February, that was clear, but now even stricter rules apply. One of them is that in most public settings where you could wear cloth masks you now have to wear medical or surgical masks. The employer by the way has to supply these (not in all settings, though). So I have thrown two of my cloth ones away. I will keep the ones with the Christmas theme. They will represent 2020 in my family memorabilia.

The UK official health people indicated yesterday afternoon that the UK strain may be more deadly than the normal strain. They will be watching the data. So will continental Europe. And the world.

My boss and my colleagues seem to have forgotten me. My official job ranks as service sector with customer contact so they do not by new rule have to offer me home office, but my annex is officially closed to the public. I am a "neither nor", an employee without a purpose. Weird. I am not even allowed into my office, only by "invitation". Not a word or email from them. In March we have an election coming up and few people are willing to volunteer in the temporary election offices. Completely understandable. I hope the general situation improves in Rhineland-Palatinate by then.

The Federal government has indicated that the lockdown could continue. The purpose of it all is to get the infection rate down to the figure 50, right now we are at 113. Long way to go.

There was supposed to be this thing called "Karneval" or "Fasching". Not happening. Or is it? If the lockdown ends on 14 February it will be the day before Rose Monday, that is the highest day for the Karneval celebrating folk. I wonder if our minister noticed 😉.

notamermaid

Well we, that is the U.K. has evidently produced an even worse version of this blasted virus and the Chinese are saying it originally came from America. It’s interesting sieving through all this information and trying not to let it get us down. employers, governments and so called experts really do need to be more straight forward with their explanations.

Now big business in the guise of the vaccine manufacturers are reneging on their contracts, mind you one thinks they have decent excuse but this is really not the time for their games. To many people have lost their jobs or aren’t sure about theirs. 
All I want is to go river cruising again. CA