Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host Anne

Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, DWhit said:

Things in Oklahoma are good.  I play golf most days, and we go out to eat a good bit.  We go to church on 

Sunday's and things are pretty much normal.  We went swimming today at the Country Club and had a great time.   Still have to wear a mask when going in to a Walmart, but that's about the extent of my impact with Coivid precautions.  

 

We have had about 40,000 Covid cases out of a population of 4,000,000, or about 1% of the population affected.   Hard to see why we had to shut everything down back in March.

Have you considered the probability that the low percentage of cases is a direct result of the early lockdown?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Have you considered the probability that the low percentage of cases is a direct result of the early lockdown?

Yes and no.   I think keeping the bars and such closed for a while definitely helped (This stuff is very contagious, no doubt), but we have always kept the focus on hospital capacity.   By keeping adequate hospital capacity as the main focus, it has allowed us to open up as much as we can and that keeps things as normal as possible.  We were an early state to re-open and so far this has proved to be a good decision. (our unemployment is pretty low)

 

 PS, our Govenour was the first Govenour in the USA to get the virus, but he has recovered and has donated his plasma to help cure others.

 

Edited by DWhit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DWhit said:

Yes and no.   I think keeping the bars and such closed for a while definitely helped (This stuff is very contagious, no doubt), but we have always kept the focus on hospital capacity.   By keeping adequate hospital capacity as the main focus, it has allowed us to open up as much as we can and that keeps things as normal as possible.  We were an early state to re-open and so far this has proved to be a good decision. (our unemployment is pretty low)

 

 PS, our Govenour was the first Govenour in the USA to get the virus, but he has recovered and has donated his plasma to help cure others.

 

I truly hope you all stay well.  You are pretty close to major outbreak states in TX and LA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I truly hope you all stay well.  You are pretty close to major outbreak states in TX and LA.  

Thank you very much.  I hope you and yours remain safe as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 6:19 PM, Fouremco said:

Have you considered the probability that the low percentage of cases is a direct result of the early lockdown?

We all should have locked down in January. Would have saved so many lives

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things here  in suburban NY are okay in terms of illness numbers. Many people still wearing masks in stores, etc,  and  are distancing.  There are more social get togethers, bbqs,  restaurants opening  and  folks at the beaches and parks.

 

Gyms and salons are  opening slowly.

Most schools will.open or offer a hybrid experience..in person, little cohorts/ bubbles, and online .  Youth sports are  a mixed bag. Courts are open along with gov services but much of it is still online . 

 

Our local economy is doing poorly....not sure when it might re bound .  Many restaurants abd stores will never be back...even Lord and Taylor closing shop!

 

Many  from NYC have relocated to  summer homes  out here or  purchased new ones....hoping to escape  the  close  quarters  of NYC, and the ongoing breakdown of  law and order in many neighborhoods.. 

 

Nice to have new neighbors but it is impacting some  local school district's   abiity to  accomodate the new arrivals on short notice....but  new arrivals boosts  the economy in many ways.

 

DH and I  still stay home for the most part..dh  works at a golf pro shop part time ( business is good)  but  he has only been  to the driving range and putting area once or twice on days off.  He will play golf first time next week.  I stay home watching our grandson and do my gardening...just a few trips to grocery store , drs and  drug store. No need to rush into the fray just yet..esp since I dislike wearing the mask.

 

Hoping our area  bubble stays okay..seems other places are not faring as well. Wish them well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.. same good wishes for you.

We shifted our Jan 2021 cruise on Connie to Reflection for Jan 022,, very hopeful

Will watch cautiously  as things unfold in gen and for cruising!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 12:29 PM, Cruise a holic said:

We all should have locked down in January. Would have saved so many lives

Hindsight is always the best, isn't it.

 

IMHO whether we actually truly would have saved many more lives is not necessarily true.  So much depends on when an effective vaccine is widely available.  Unfortunately, that is likely many months from now.  So even if we locked down tight in January, at some point thereafter things would have needed to open up or our economy would have been in a worst shambles than it is already (this is not a political dig towards either side - it is an affect from the virus itself).  There is no way we could have stayed in a hard lockdown until that vaccine is widely available.  The lack of available necessities for living as well as earning a living would have prevented that.  So over time, the virus would have continued spreading and I have to wonder if the same # of people would have contacted it eventually regardless, just perhaps spread out over a longer period of time.  Unfortunately, there is nothing that has occurred in any country that I know of that suggests the virus could have been stopped in its tracks.  Even places like Hawaii, which had very strict and early lockdowns and had virtually no cases now has cases rising.  Just my thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Hindsight is always the best, isn't it.

 

IMHO whether we actually truly would have saved many more lives is not necessarily true.  So much depends on when an effective vaccine is widely available.  Unfortunately, that is likely many months from now.  So even if we locked down tight in January, at some point thereafter things would have needed to open up or our economy would have been in a worst shambles than it is already (this is not a political dig towards either side - it is an affect from the virus itself).  There is no way we could have stayed in a hard lockdown until that vaccine is widely available.  The lack of available necessities for living as well as earning a living would have prevented that.  So over time, the virus would have continued spreading and I have to wonder if the same # of people would have contacted it eventually regardless, just perhaps spread out over a longer period of time.  Unfortunately, there is nothing that has occurred in any country that I know of that suggests the virus could have been stopped in its tracks.  Even places like Hawaii, which had very strict and early lockdowns and had virtually no cases now has cases rising.  Just my thoughts.

However very clear handwashing, wearing masks and social distancing works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Hindsight is always the best, isn't it.

 

IMHO whether we actually truly would have saved many more lives is not necessarily true.  So much depends on when an effective vaccine is widely available.  Unfortunately, that is likely many months from now.  So even if we locked down tight in January, at some point thereafter things would have needed to open up or our economy would have been in a worst shambles than it is already (this is not a political dig towards either side - it is an affect from the virus itself).  There is no way we could have stayed in a hard lockdown until that vaccine is widely available.  The lack of available necessities for living as well as earning a living would have prevented that.  So over time, the virus would have continued spreading and I have to wonder if the same # of people would have contacted it eventually regardless, just perhaps spread out over a longer period of time.  Unfortunately, there is nothing that has occurred in any country that I know of that suggests the virus could have been stopped in its tracks.  Even places like Hawaii, which had very strict and early lockdowns and had virtually no cases now has cases rising.  Just my thoughts.

Not to steal this thread and make it about lockdowns.  But..... They do not work in most countries.  Unless very very restrictive with no exceptions.  The lockdowns in the US were very leaky and lenient.  Sort of like leaving your dog in your fenced-in yard knowing there were huge holes in the fence! They helped sure but not a true solution.  Yes- masks, social distancing and hand washing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re having record breaking heat until tomorrow night, then snow is forecast. I just want to cruise!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, awhfy said:

We’re having record breaking heat until tomorrow night, then snow is forecast. I just want to cruise!!!

 

The world is coming to an end!  😆 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in England, we’ve just had new restrictions announced. Lockdown had worked well and we were lifting restrictions but, unfortunately, that’s resulted in a sharp increase in diagnosed cases (though mostly amongst young people at this stage). In my own county (rural, remote) after a month of no new cases, we’ve had 2 new cases this week. 
 

I know we’re lucky, but this has been a blow, after feeling like we were heading in the right direction. My attitude is not being helped by the fact we should have been flying to Venice to board Constellation this weekend ☹️.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello from my small town of Pouch Cove, NL, Canada. "The first to see the sun!"

I hope everyone is doing well,  washing your hands and wearing masks when required! 

 

Here right now, on our little island we have only two active cased of Covid 19 which was travel related! We seem to be doing things right! Let's hope it will continue. Schools opened yesterday! Let's hope that won't be our "second wave"!!!  

 

Since June 8th when things started opening up more, and traveling within our bubble... the Atlantic provinces, we have been doing more "Staycationing". For Newfoundlanders, we have mostly stayed within our own province! Might I add, what a beautiful province we have. Myself and my husband have done some scenic drives. We recently  went to "Fogo Island" for a wedding. An outside wedding.  That place is just beautiful. So much to see and do. You need at least 3 days to take it all in! 

 

Our capital city of St John's have been a little creative in putting up a pedestrian mall in the down town area.... Where the cruise ships come in! This has created some revenue for businesses who were struggling since everything shut down. It turned out great. Bars and restaurants went all out to create a warm welcome to patrons. Let's hope it will continue every summer!

 

Take care everyone and please stay safe. Hopefully this virus will be under control sooner rather than later!!! I've read horrible stories of sickness and leading to death! So very sad.

I know this is real but keeping optimistic that we will get back to doing what we love.....cruising! Our Apr 2020 Celebrity cruise that was canceled, we have until Dec, 2021 to use it. I certainly hope they extend it until 2022,  If not then we may lose our money/ certificates. We probably won't go before then unless there is a vaccine! 

Cheers,

Cathy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking time out today to remember those lost 19 years ago..

9-11  Never Forget!

 

If you cruise out of Bayonne you can see the beautiful  Tear Drop Memorial

image-4.jpg

878BDC23-0F80-4E0B-9ABE-C2512DB42F01.thumb.jpeg.00728ec10f3b3b1d4103de3c0ba28639.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hcat said:

Taking time out today to remember those lost 19 years ago..

9-11  Never Forget!

 

If you cruise out of Bayonne you can see the beautiful  Tear Drop Memorial

image-4.jpg

878BDC23-0F80-4E0B-9ABE-C2512DB42F01.thumb.jpeg.00728ec10f3b3b1d4103de3c0ba28639.jpeg.jpg

 

hcat- thank you for this reminder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hcat said:

Taking time out today to remember those lost 19 years ago..

9-11  Never Forget!

 

If you cruise out of Bayonne you can see the beautiful  Tear Drop Memorial

image-4.jpg

878BDC23-0F80-4E0B-9ABE-C2512DB42F01.thumb.jpeg.00728ec10f3b3b1d4103de3c0ba28639.jpeg.jpg

Thank you for sharing this. It's beautiful! I was there the next year and walked down to ground zero. A very Erie and sad feeling came over me. I went to the church and lit a candle in memory of all the lost souls! 

Our province helped out in a big way on that tragic day! Some people come here (Gander) every year to visit the people who took care of them! Such heartwarming stories and great friendships have come out of that sad time in our lives!

 May all those perished rest in peace. To all the families left to mourn, god bless you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Im from Vancouver, we were doing well with the virus but the last 3 weeks our numbers are climbing. I think people are tired and not doing what it takes to keep our numbers low. Right now we have a lot open: schools, restaurants, shops , bars .. hospitals are doing elective surgeries etc. Our Provincial Health Officer just closed our nightclubs and banquet halls because things were out of hand in those venues and alot of time and effort was being put into trying to trace people who were exposed to the virus and had been to those venues.... Right now it seems to be younger people who are getting the virus but im sure it will switch back to the elderly once again. Im not looking forward to going thru the winter , we get so much rain and the days are dark and gloomy ... we are only supposed to have close contact with 6 people otherwise everyone else is supposed to be outside and at a distance. So the winter months will be hard and not as social as in the summer when you can visit with friends ... I sure hope things look different this time next year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hyperpipe I really hope your winter turns out better than expected.  It sure can be the worst time for socializing.  Cabin fever is terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in SE PA our numbers are pretty low and deaths have decreased. Most people are wearing masks, and practicing social distancing. We are not allowed in businesses without masks but there are a very few fools who remove them once they are inside or wear them under their noses. Schools are mostly virtual which is very frustrating to children who are kept from their friends. We are opening inside dining to 50% soon and that. to me, is questionable. PA was one of the last to open and I think it paid off other than in certain areas where there had been large gatherings which was against the governor's mandate. People  need to cooperate in order to control this until a vaccine, We need federal guidance!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Federal guidance would be nice if they all had a consistent message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mlmbar said:

Here in SE PA our numbers are pretty low and deaths have decreased. Most people are wearing masks, and practicing social distancing. We are not allowed in businesses without masks but there are a very few fools who remove them once they are inside or wear them under their noses. Schools are mostly virtual which is very frustrating to children who are kept from their friends. We are opening inside dining to 50% soon and that. to me, is questionable. PA was one of the last to open and I think it paid off other than in certain areas where there had been large gatherings which was against the governor's mandate. People  need to cooperate in order to control this until a vaccine, We need federal guidance!   

Hi neighbor.  Also in Montgomery County in SE PA along with you.  The virus has been pretty well in check due to everybody's efforts for the last 2 months.  There are almost no cases in our hospitals and rarely a death reported.  Hoping it stays that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!!! Yes, we have done a great job considering that we were a hot spot in March. I see a huge effort on pretty much everyone’s part 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Federal guidance would be nice if they all had a consistent message.

 

Hi, the CDC website will give you clarity as to what personal steps to take for protecting yourself and especially the vulnerable.  Due to vastly differing conditions from state to state, your governor and their officials are your source for local guidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...