Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

5 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Inquiring minds ... when and where was the last time Amsterdam actually docked prior to her arrival (and docking) in Rotterdam? Being at sea and not being able to dock (for crew to maintain the hull) sure did all the wear to the hull. Now dull with rust. And the anchor area sure looks so well used.

Also the Rotterdam?

Although I'm a die-hard NCL cruiser I have been following most of the HAL ships with great interest over the last several months when the dreaded Covid shutdowns began.

Love the pictures and videos. Yes, they brought little tears ... end of era for those 2 ships.

I believe Gibraltar..

12 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

when and where was the last time Amsterdam actually docked prior to her arrival (and docking) in Rotterdam? Being at sea and not being able to dock (for crew to maintain the hull) sure did all the wear to the hull. Now dull with rust. And the anchor area sure looks so well used.

Actually I imagine that without needed to look good for passengers, that a lot of the normal cleaning/painting has been suspended. The reduced crew probably doesn't help either. And being sold already, maintenance is probably just the statutory minimums.

18 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Inquiring minds ... when and where was the last time Amsterdam actually docked prior to her arrival (and docking) in Rotterdam? Being at sea and not being able to dock (for crew to maintain the hull) sure did all the wear to the hull. Now dull with rust. And the anchor area sure looks so well used.

Also the Rotterdam?

Although I'm a die-hard NCL cruiser I have been following most of the HAL ships with great interest over the last several months when the dreaded Covid shutdowns began.

Love the pictures and videos. Yes, they brought little tears ... end of era for those 2 ships.

Since the Amsterdam disembarked us in Fremantle, back at the end of March, she has only actually docked ONE time (Port Klang, Malaysia and no crew were allowed off there.) until Rotterdam.  Even in Fremantle no work was done from the dock due to the virus.  We weren't allowed to dock in Darwin prior to that so other than Malaysia and Fremantle, she hadn't been docked since March 12th in Cairns.  One thing to keep in mind is that the crew who are still on the ship for the minimal manning haven't set foot on land since March 12th and that's if they even got off that day! 

Linda R.

Edited by cruzingnut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Also the Rotterdam?

She fueled in Durban and maybe docked at Gibraltar .  Other than that it is at Freemantle. in March

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

@rotjeknor Thanks for all the pictures!  I wasn't able to watch the videos though; I could "play" them but couldn't see anything.  I'm wondering if it was all too much in a single post?  In the post, there are a lot of blank white spaces.

Linda R.

Not sure what type of device you are using, but have you clicked or tapped on the blank spaces? I have blanks on my iPad but once I tap, the videos load and play.

45 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Also the Rotterdam?

Since departing Fremantle, Aus on the 23rd of March, she last physically berthed/docked in Durban, South Africa on the 9th of April, and there was no approval for washing down and/or painting her hull there. Every port call after that, until her arrival in Rotterdam, has been handled as a "tender port" due to local restrictions. That's a little more than four months straight without a true port call

MS AMSTERDAM began its worldwide voyage at the beginning of the year but had to cut the trip short due to the coronavirus outbreak. It has been given permission to dock at the Port of Durban. Picture:  Leon Lestrade African News Agency (ANA)

Amsterdam off Durban, SA on the 5th of April of this year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Since departing Fremantle, Aus on the 23rd of March, she last physically berthed/docked in Durban, South Africa on the 9th of April, and there was no approval for washing down and/or painting her hull there. Every port call after that, until her arrival in Rotterdam, has been handled as a "tender port" due to local restrictions. That's a little more than four months straight without a true port call

MS AMSTERDAM began its worldwide voyage at the beginning of the year but had to cut the trip short due to the coronavirus outbreak. It has been given permission to dock at the Port of Durban. Picture:  Leon Lestrade African News Agency (ANA)

Amsterdam off Durban, SA on the 5th of April of this year

That's right!  Totally forgot that she docked in Durban as that's where she let off the S. African crew!  Thanks for reminding me.  Tried to go back and edit my post but I guess you can only edit within a certain time period.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

I can watch them on my Ipad as well, in the post. But I will upload em again. 

To view the videos on my desktop (running Windows 10) I had to download and install the proper CODEC from the Microsoft Store (at no cost) and then was able to view them without any issues.

Annotation 2020-08-16 153754.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Himself said:

It is sad to see this wonderful ship leaving the HAL FAMILY. She was  the Class of the line

It is sad.  But, Father, she was not the "Class" of the Holland America Line in my experience.  Rotterdam V was the "Grand Dame" of HAL and none since have approached her ambiance.

S. S. Nieuw Amsterdam of 1937 was considered to be the Netherlands "Ship of State".  Rotterdam V was a worthy successor for the Nieuw Amsterdam.  

All of the HAL ships which have sailed under the HAL flag on which I have sailed have been excellent expressions of the HAL experience most of the time, but none have met the standards that I experienced on my cruises on Rotterdam V nor the one visit that I had on the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1937.  

Of course, this is my opinion.  Others are welcome to differ.  
 " 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Rotterdam V was the "Grand Dame" of HAL and none since have approached her ambiance.

I have to agree with this assessment. She was a lovely ship, with an attention to detail that was extraordinary. 

Although I think the Prinsendam was a worthy rival for the title. She, too, had an attention to detail, and service that reminded me so much of Rotterdam V.
Both ships were representative of classic cruising which is sadly gone now. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It is sad.  But, Father, she was not the "Class" of the Holland America Line in my experience.  Rotterdam V was the "Grand Dame" of HAL and none since have approached her ambiance.

S. S. Nieuw Amsterdam of 1937 was considered to be the Netherlands "Ship of State".  Rotterdam V was a worthy successor for the Nieuw Amsterdam.  

All of the HAL ships which have sailed under the HAL flag on which I have sailed have been excellent expressions of the HAL experience most of the time, but none have met the standards that I experienced on my cruises on Rotterdam V nor the one visit that I had on the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1937.  

Of course, this is my opinion.  Others are welcome to differ.  
 " 

I would say she is the Claasist of the HAL Ships built by Fincanntieri.. I would say the only HAL ship I did not care for Was the WESTERDAM II which was purchased  from Homeric.  

14 minutes ago, Himself said:

I would say she is the Claasist of the HAL Ships built by Fincanntieri.. I would say the only HAL ship I did not care for Was the WESTERDAM II which was purchased  from Homeric.  

Did several cruises on the W'dam - one of my favourites!

1 hour ago, Himself said:

And some crew swear she was haunted downstairs ...............🙃

Michael K Williams confirms that Slimer will return for ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Himself said:

ROTTERDAM  V was built as a ship of state as was the FRANCE, QE2, NORMANDIE, RAFFAELLO & MICHAELANGELO. & OCEANIC. Onthese boards when someone mentions an oceanliner these long gone  ships are what they are referring to.  NOT  the cookie cutter CRUISE SHIPS that are built with in the last couple of decades.

The old ships of state were built as proud representations of certain cultures w cutting edge technology of their time,  decor & amenities of priceless art, comfortable & chic furnishings & interior design to up the drama factor for passengers.

Even the Statendam of the 70's- 80's couldn't compare to Rotterdam V. When Home LINES BUILT the new Homeric it was a lovely cruise ship.

One big difference between the OCEAN LINERS & MODERN CRUISE SHIPS  is how they handle the ocean.  Being shallow draft allows ships to get into smaller harbors etc but once rough seas are encountered it's not fun.  Even the FRANCE & QE2 sailed differently...FRANCE was more of a roller in rough weather & QE2 would list a little & then cut through the worst of storms.

PRINSENDAM was built as a modern ocean going ship but certainly couldn't compare to ROTTERDAM V.

Today's ships are just cookie cutter w minor design changes w high density & reduced passenger service.  

Why would anyone design a ship without an aft pool or a rap around promenade???

Even the new ROTTERDAM Vll will be just another CARNIVORE CORP CRUISE SHIP/ floating mall.

It's too bad

• Like 1

Why would anyone design a ship without an aft pool or a rap around promenade???

Even the new ROTTERDAM Vll will be just another CARNIVORE CORP CRUISE SHIP/ floating mall.

It's too bad.”

Ditto.

I’m now considering either FO or the Alaska Marine Highway if I continue cruising. Of course Zaandam and Volendam would still be acceptable.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

2 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

ROTTERDAM  V was built as a ship of state as was the FRANCE, QE2, NORMANDIE, RAFFAELLO & MICHAELANGELO. & OCEANIC. Onthese boards when someone mentions an oceanliner these long gone  ships are what they are referring to.  NOT  the cookie cutter CRUISE SHIPS that are built with in the last couple of decades.

The old ships of state were built as proud representations of certain cultures w cutting edge technology of their time,  decor & amenities of priceless art, comfortable & chic furnishings & interior design to up the drama factor for passengers.

Even the Statendam of the 70's- 80's couldn't compare to Rotterdam V. When Home LINES BUILT the new Homeric it was a lovely cruise ship.

One big difference between the OCEAN LINERS & MODERN CRUISE SHIPS  is how they handle the ocean.  Being shallow draft allows ships to get into smaller harbors etc but once rough seas are encountered it's not fun.  Even the FRANCE & QE2 sailed differently...FRANCE was more of a roller in rough weather & QE2 would list a little & then cut through the worst of storms.

PRINSENDAM was built as a modern ocean going ship but certainly couldn't compare to ROTTERDAM V.

Today's ships are just cookie cutter w minor design changes w high density & reduced passenger service.  

Why would anyone design a ship without an aft pool or a rap around promenade???

Even the new ROTTERDAM Vll will be just another CARNIVORE CORP CRUISE SHIP/ floating mall.

It's too bad

they are building ships to make money, and not to satisfy individual favourites......