"Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?

Back on board. A few more notes on Magens Bay. Taxi is $10 per person each way. Entrance is $5 per person. Sit up beach chairs are $6 to rent and lounge chairs are $8. Each chair requires a refundable $5 deposit. All prices in the picture below.  All of the above were cash only. 

5F185DC9-9C09-471E-B320-EF8A6A02BF39.thumb.jpeg.16bf4aebc7763d806432ad19cf0472dd.jpeg

Food was good. Micheline had a jerk chicken sandwich that she said was spicy but the “good kind of spicy”. I had a cheeseburger and fries. Both were about $15. We also enjoyed a couple of painkillers at $9 each. Nice bar area. Food and drink area both take credit cards with a min $10 charge. There were women in very skimpy bikinis that would get drinks for you from the bar and deliver to your chair on the beach. I don’t think they officially worked there and just worked for tips, hence the skimpy bikinis. 

Concession area with food, drinks, rentals, gifts

A038C1F7-F755-4CED-BFA8-3E1E563B8BE2.thumb.jpeg.0dbcf0545c3eeb44b4ca26575c98c0df.jpeg

Bar area

62031201-ADCF-4360-9429-5F29DD122082.thumb.jpeg.f73fe11b17e0654ff7e7b35d9675fb77.jpeg

A6B25235-386B-4692-AC43-BE802B396262.thumb.jpeg.7bb7ed39783acd320bf5e46cd6b131ab.jpeg

No problem getting a taxi when time to leave. You just needed to wait until it was full enough. Took about 10 mins for us but surely would be faster if more crowded. 

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Back on board. A few more notes on Magens Bay. Taxi is $10 per person each way. Entrance is $5 per person. Sit up beach chairs are $6 to rent and lounge chairs are $8. Each chair requires a refundable $5 deposit. All prices in the picture below.  All of the above were cash only. 

5F185DC9-9C09-471E-B320-EF8A6A02BF39.thumb.jpeg.16bf4aebc7763d806432ad19cf0472dd.jpeg

Food was good. Micheline had a jerk chicken sandwich that she said was spicy but the “good kind of spicy”. I had a cheeseburger and fries. Both were about $15. We also enjoyed a couple of painkillers at $9 each. Nice bar area. Food and drink area both take credit cards with a min $10 charge. There were women in very skimpy bikinis that would get drinks for you from the bar and deliver to your chair on the beach. I don’t think they officially worked there and just worked for tips, hence the skimpy bikinis. 

Concession area with food, drinks, rentals, gifts

A038C1F7-F755-4CED-BFA8-3E1E563B8BE2.thumb.jpeg.0dbcf0545c3eeb44b4ca26575c98c0df.jpeg

Bar area

62031201-ADCF-4360-9429-5F29DD122082.thumb.jpeg.f73fe11b17e0654ff7e7b35d9675fb77.jpeg

A6B25235-386B-4692-AC43-BE802B396262.thumb.jpeg.7bb7ed39783acd320bf5e46cd6b131ab.jpeg

No problem getting a taxi when time to leave. You just needed to wait until it was full enough. Took about 10 mins for us but surely would be faster if more crowded. 

Have not been to Magens bay in decades this would interfere with my wife’s shopping. The one beach I miss is trunks bay in St. John . My next two cruises will also visit St Thomas. Our July cruise was first time a cruise ship docked in over a year.

Edited by George C
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Beautiful water and scenery with nice sand on the beach and in the water.

Love Megan's Bay. We were lucky the time we went it wasn't crowded. I know what you mean about voices carrying. Nothing kills a great beach chill day than a bunch of loud drunk people.

A story we can all relate too. One time when we sailed on Adventure, there was this newly wed couple. The guy had this really loud obnoxious voice that sounded like Gilbert Gottfried. We were at this beach and he kept talking to his new wife in this really loud voice about everything. He wouldn't shut up. She would be on the beach and he in the water yelling his conversation to her. She looked over to us and apologized he was so loud. Comes out they ended up sitting next to us at diner the next night, same thing. Then two days later we are the beach and sure enough there they were. I thought I was cursed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

This brought a memory back.  While visiting my dad in Venice fl, I noticed all the screened in swimming pools.  When I asked why, he showed me a pic of a large gator 🐊 that had been in the back yard.

LOL...ours was mostly to keep the cats inside.  They had a cat door to run in and out of the house into  the screened pool deck.  Fell in a couple of times for an "unscheduled bath" when they would race around the corner of the pool too fast.  Those cats can swim!!  Right to the steps, and into the house shaking off the water all over the place.  Poor kitty.  😮 

Plus keeps leaves and bugs and other "not too welcome critters out"...indeed!  

• Like 4

A bit of a lull in our day at Magic Kingdom, for me anyway.  I found a quiet and cool spot to sit with the munchkin as she takes a stroller snooze..  DH and the kids are doing all the big rides I don’t go on.  
@grapau27 very glad to hear your procedure went well.  
@Ozark_Kid we’re not staying for the 50th celebration,  only part of the family is here this trip and we leave Monday 9/27.  The whole gang (12 of us) will be back in early November for a week. My daughters are running the Wine & Dine Half Marathon.  

C42081C8-8CAB-48EA-A9A4-CC18BFE6495F.jpeg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

It’s a shame you had a snafu with your land yacht.  This morning was perfect for walking on the beach.  Sunny with a very cool breeze, and most of the tourist gone. 😁

The beach is soooo beautiful there....pure white powdered sugar sand with that super clear aquamarine water.  I will be happy if we can still get over there...at least to my favorite state park (Grayton Beach) and Bucky loves St. George Island.  

Hoping to find out something on Tuesday or Wednesday.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Today’s port is St Thomas. Took a taxi to Magens Bay. Beautiful water and scenery with nice sand on the beach and in the water. We took a taxi (no excursion). Got here early enough to rent a couple of chairs and find a spot in the shade of a tree. The beauty of the place slowly deteriorated as other passengers started showing up, jostling for position on the beach, and then yelling at each other in the water while pounding beer. Guess they don’t know how much their voices carry over water. With various excursions that drop people here for a couple of hours, there was a fairly constant stream of people dragging their rental beach chairs up and down the beach. Sigh. Wonder how bad the crowds get with multiple full ships in port. 

298D7BE0-F00E-4D55-B84F-A525CABD9330.thumb.jpeg.5dc9accad52fd6a33263ca36ebaef22b.jpeg

0CC389CF-6AD5-415D-BBB4-033FF98AA332.thumb.jpeg.37babfef3ce8f1f7374486248633f823.jpeg

36C68054-5108-4A98-B568-0316FEA7E62B.thumb.jpeg.70a189fb08fbfd06542ed88baa3222ae.jpeg

47E7CC71-FF77-45B6-8B44-4121C9CCBFF7.thumb.jpeg.d45a82aeec9f4aaceffacb93624a9020.jpeg

Beautiful beach photos!  🙂  Looked like a perfect day!

We do the same thing.  Hire a taxi, go out early, enjoy the beach until the mid morning crowds show up.  Then time to leave.  Most times get back to the empty ship for a lovely late lunch.  🙂 

We are not much on the "tour group" excursions...unless it is a very small group.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, George C said:

Have not been to Magens bay in decades this would interfere with my wife’s shopping. The one beach I miss is trunks bay in St. John . My next two cruises will also visit St Thomas. Our July cruise was first time a cruise ship docked in over a year.

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Love Megan's Bay. We were lucky the time we went it wasn't crowded. I know what you mean about voices carrying. Nothing kills a great beach chill day than a bunch of loud drunk people.

A story we can all relate too. One time when we sailed on Adventure, there was this newly wed couple. The guy had this really loud obnoxious voice that sounded like Gilbert Gottfried. We were at this beach and he kept talking to his new wife in this really loud voice about everything. He wouldn't shut up. She would be on the beach and he in the water yelling his conversation to her. She looked over to us and apologized he was so loud. Comes out they ended up sitting next to us at diner the next .

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

Beautiful beach photos!  🙂  Looked like a perfect day!

We do the same thing.  Hire a taxi, go out early, enjoy the beach until the mid morning crowds show up.  Then time to leave.  Most times get back to the empty ship for a lovely late lunch.  🙂 

We are not much on the "tour group" excursions...unless it is a very small group.  

That might be our first and last visit to Magens Bay. It was a perfectly fine, beautiful, Caribbean beach. We just prefer going to Dinghy’s on Honeymoon beach when in St Thomas. It’s a short water taxi ride there from Crown Bay. Free chairs/umbrellas with purchase of food/drinks, which we happily buy. We also typically rent snorkel gear. The only issue there is that party boats will drop 100+ people there for an hour as part of the excursion.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Great news ,Graham,but perhaps you should not be on line till your vision is not hazy.

Thanks Lenny.

I am keeping the op eye closed and only using my previous strong eye.

The distance reading through the haze is perfect on the op eye.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

She is getting there.  She has supervised time exploring the house.  So far the older cats are ignoring her along with the English Bulldog.  My poodle mix wants to play but we make sure he is gentle.  Right now she is sound asleep in one of my chairs.

She is just ADORABLE! 🥰

• Like 3

17 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just a small break during hurricane season, from water to land.  I like his last RV Doodles where he ate the 72oz steak in Texas.  I mean, he tried to eat. 😀

Was it at the ‘Big Texan’ in Amarillo?  I’ve been there and had one of their steaks but I didn’t attempt the 72oz challenge. Surprisingly good restaurant. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Welcome home from your procedure Graham.  I can envision your regime of drops and the timers on your phone after helping my mom and MIL. Hope things are going as smooth as possible. 

I am reading your Alaska cruise review. Love Owen's pictures'....he looks so little compared to the latest ones you post. Awww ( I know I know that was 2018!!!!)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Was it at the ‘Big Texan’ in Amarillo?  I’ve been there and had one of their steaks but I didn’t attempt the 72oz challenge. Surprisingly good restaurant. 

That’s the place. Amazingly enough the 72oz steak looked very tasty.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I am reading your Alaska cruise review. Love Owen's pictures'....he looks so little compared to the latest ones you post. Awww ( I know I know that was 2018!!!!)

A few years make a big difference from that review to today. 

He’s in this photo somewhere. Football tryouts continue today and development ice at 8-10 tonight. Hockey try outs start tomorrow and thankfully he has a PA day from school tomorrow. 

38823091-67A6-4683-B7B1-5930EADA0ABF.thumb.jpeg.0bd19ec7a32e66d5da938dfe032c1f2a.jpeg

• Like 7