Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

@Milwaukee Eightas usual your food pics are amazing.  It's still two hours until lunchtime here in the East and I'm already starving now.

We love cooking out especially when the weather gets a bit cooler. 

The boss, she has a lot of good Romanian and Jewish food traditions, and most are awesome. 

Thanks

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We love cooking out especially when the weather gets a bit cooler. 

The boss, she has a lot of good Romanian and Jewish food traditions, and most are awesome. 

Thanks

That's awesome.  Unfortunately, neither one of us are very good around the kitchen and are too lazy to grill.  Door Dash has become our best friend over the last several months!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

@Milwaukee Eight - How long do you cook the salmon and at what heat setting?  My wife makes a great oven baked salmon but it does look great cooked on a cedar?? plank.  Ever try salmon using your sous vide?  We've thought about that as well but have not tried it yet.

I cook the Salmon until it becomes flaky. The Green Egg temp is around 350.  I haven’t tried salmon in the SousVide yet. Sounds like something to try. I typically add Mesquite chunks to add some smoke. 

Hint. I soak the cedar plank for a couple of hours before cooking. It adds a unique flavor. 

Thanks for asking. 

M8

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I cook the Salmon until it becomes flaky. The Green Egg temp is around 350.  I haven’t tried salmon in the SousVide yet. Sounds like something to try. I typically add Mesquite chunks to add some smoke. 

Hint. I soak the cedar plank for a couple of hours before cooking. It adds a unique flavor. 

Thanks for asking. 

M8

I know I can google it, but what is a SousVide?  Are you thinking it will be better than the Green Egg?

Just now, Domino D said:

I know I can google it, but what is a SousVide?  Are you thinking it will be better than the Green Egg?

It’s hard to beat The Big Green Egg for many things. 

SousVide is a French word meaning under pressure. Basically you take your meat/vegetable and vacuum pack with your spices. You submerge in a bath of water that is temperature controlled. The meat never reaches an internal temperature higher than the water temperature. Cook time depends on thickness of the meat. Technically, you can have longer cook times as the meat never gets cooked more than the water temperature. Caution:  there is some issues with the meat breaking down if you cook too long. After removing the meat, it should then have a sear (I use a torch MAP Gas) to sear. Some sear in a hot cast iron skillet. 

We have found SousVide is great for lamb. I have cooked the chops, lion chops, and boneless leg. They come out awesome. The chops/lions take a little over two hours although I have left them cooking longer. The boneless leg takes 4+ hours based on thickness.  I tried a steak and honestly, it hard to beat the cook on the Green Egg (flavor). 

I would like to try some pork ribs. I got the SousVide for my birthday so I haven’t had that long to play with. It’s good to have a good vacuum machine. I bought a Foodsaver Game machine. The key is to let the meat stand on a paper towel so as not to have too much wet/moisture meat to vacuum seal. I sometimes throw the meat in the freezer for a while just to cut down on the moisture before sealing. If it’s really moist, the bags will not seal properly. 

Look here for more info. Feel free to ask more questions. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous_vide

M8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s the Harley-Davidson Demo truck that runs around from event to event. Nice setup for sure. 

M8

If you have Apple TV watch the Long Way Up, which is being released weekly right now.  

Long Way Up is a British television series which debuted September 18, 2020 documenting a motorcycle journey undertaken in 2019 by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, from Ushuaia in Argentina through South and Central America to Los Angeles in the United States.  They are riding Harley Prototype Electric bikes. The scenery is spectacular, as well as the adventure of travel. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

If you have Apple TV watch the Long Way Up, which is being released weekly right now.  

Long Way Up is a British television series which debuted September 18, 2020 documenting a motorcycle journey undertaken in 2019 by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, from Ushuaia in Argentina through South and Central America to Los Angeles in the United States.  They are riding Harley Prototype Electric bikes. The scenery is spectacular, as well as the adventure of travel. 

These two were covered extensively in the latest HOG Magazines. One was here for the Boggy Creek Ride for Children as an honored guest. This was two weekends ago. 

We have Apple TV but we don’t pay for the premium package. 

The bike is called the Livewire. It’s now in full production. The picture above with the H-D Rig, the Livewire’s are next to the truck. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

These two were covered extensively in the latest HOG Magazines. One was here for the Boggy Creek Ride for Children as an honored guest. This was two weekends ago. 

We have Apple TV but we don’t pay for the premium package. 

The bike is called the Livewire. It’s now in full production. The picture above with the H-D Rig, the Livewire’s are next to the truck. 

M8

You should be able to get it in “regular” Apple TV. Try looking it up. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

You should be able to get it in “regular” Apple TV. Try looking it up. 

I will. There is an Apple TV movie with Tom Hanks I have been wanting to watch. 

I guess some shows are on Apple TV+, which is a premium service. So the Livewire one is on regular Apple TV. 

Thanks

M8

559D2323-83B4-4464-954E-0F5B38AB7B3F.png

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yes. Very tender. The key is to cook long enough to break down the fat. You want medium rare, set water temp to like 128-135. I do lamb at 131 F. 

Adding to M8's response, we use our Sous vide cooker probably once every week or two.  Works well for steaks since they are perfectly cooked to the right temperature all the way through the steak.  Very helpful if you like a thicker cut like a filet.  We like it for pork as well.  As M8 noted, it's important to get a good sear at the end to give it a more grilled appearance/char/flavor.  We usually use a cast iron skillet as hot as we can get it with butter and sear for about 60 seconds on each side.  Supposedly, many high end steak houses use the sous vide method to get perfect meat temps.  You do need to be careful not to overcook, but you can put steaks or chops in the water bath for at least an hour (usually more) and they turn our great.  Very easy to get the meat started early and other than a couple of minutes of searing, no need to worry about timing the meat with the rest of the meal.  

You can spend thousands on high end sous vide cookers, but we use a wand style cooker that clips to the side of a large pot.  The water in the pot circulates through the cooker which keeps it at a constant temp.  Rinse and dry it when you're done.  Our cooker is relatively inexpensive.  I bought it as a gift for my wife several years ago, and wondered if it would end up in the closet next to the bread maker, the pasta maker, etc., but it gets a lot of use.  Much more on Sous Vide here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Adding to M8's response, we use our Sous vide cooker probably once every week or two.  Works well for steaks since they are perfectly cooked to the right temperature all the way through the steak.  Very helpful if you like a thicker cut like a filet.  We like it for pork as well.  As M8 noted, it's important to get a good sear at the end to give it a more grilled appearance/char/flavor.  We usually use a cast iron skillet as hot as we can get it with butter and sear for about 60 seconds on each side.  Supposedly, many high end steak houses use the sous vide method to get perfect meat temps.  You do need to be careful not to overcook, but you can put steaks or chops in the water bath for at least an hour (usually more) and they turn our great.  Very easy to get the meat started early and other than a couple of minutes of searing, no need to worry about timing the meat with the rest of the meal.  

You can spend thousands on high end sous vide cookers, but we use a wand style cooker that clips to the side of a large pot.  The water in the pot circulates through the cooker which keeps it at a constant temp.  Rinse and dry it when you're done.  Our cooker is relatively inexpensive.  I bought it as a gift for my wife several years ago, and wondered if it would end up in the closet next to the bread maker, the pasta maker, etc., but it gets a lot of use.  Much more on Sous Vide here.  

Thanks. Great information. I got mine in June and still learning. I might try a Filet. If I get another one, I believe I would get the one that clips on to the pot/container. The SousVide Supreme the boss got me for my birthday is very nice but takes up a lot of space for unused times.

I’ve only cooked steaks once in SousVide. They were good but to us, not as good as what we get off the BGE. 

Thanks again

M8

7A8FFAEA-7C1A-48A9-96EE-D2E51EA70119.jpeg

15C6ABC2-3405-4848-8498-10D2EB158043.jpeg

54 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I bought it as a gift for my wife several years ago, and wondered if it would end up in the closet next to the bread maker, the pasta maker, etc., but it gets a lot of use

DH is the "chef", but after the pasta maker, the potato stylish peeler and the salad cutter ended up in the closet, I've drawn the line at the bread maker....😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1