Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I used to roll my eyes and cringe at the thought of paying to listen to the radio. Once I purchased the 2007 car, (used from a dealer, I got it in 2012) it came with a 3-month trial subscription & I was hooked. Not only no commercials and minimal DJ talking - can't stand those Z-morning zoo type DJ's - I really liked the diverse music genre's. I get bored listening to the same music so one day it's Alt Nation, then BPM (electronic dance music), then 60 & 70's, country, etc....

Best part is now I can stream XM thru Alexa so I can listen in the home without having to purchase another device, carry it with me wherever I go, etc.

I don’t drive enough to justify xm , wife normally drives so we play her xm , normally listen to the bridge station 17 , they seem to play many of the artists we see on our rock and romance charter cruises.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I was there that year!  Did your wife work there too?  I remember two counselors names, Maxine and Aleta.  Maxine's boyfriend was Allan, a counselor. Phil was the supervisor, Marian was the swim lifeguard who always wore a huge straw hat. 

You really keep a lot of old stuff like that, don't you.

6 degrees of separation!!

My wife and I met in 1965.She did not work at the camp.I remember Phil.On my list are two brothers :Abie and Yankie.Others were Sam ,Rona ,Sandy .Milt was in charge ,Phil reported to him.There was also Manny .Manny and I were in charge of 13 year old boys.I have pictures of some of the kids in the group.

My cousin Joel S.was a camper.He was 9 years old that summer.

Two of the boys in my group were Larry and Schlomo.They are the only ones that I remember.

Re 6 degrees of separation.I became friendly with a CC regular a few months ago .We both posted about living in Canarsie.I asked him which street he lived on and it was a block away from me.He gave me his e-mail address and through the course of several emails I found out that we knew several of the same people .That is really a small world.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I used to roll my eyes and cringe at the thought of paying to listen to the radio. Once I purchased the 2007 car, (used from a dealer, I got it in 2012) it came with a 3-month trial subscription & I was hooked. Not only no commercials and minimal DJ talking - can't stand those Z-morning zoo type DJ's - I really liked the diverse music genre's. I get bored listening to the same music so one day it's Alt Nation, then BPM (electronic dance music), then 60 & 70's, country, etc....

Best part is now I can stream XM thru Alexa so I can listen in the home without having to purchase another device, carry it with me wherever I go, etc.

104.3 ,a NYC station that can be heard all over NY has commercial free times in the morning as well as other times of the day.I also listen to 102.3 .I refuse to pay for radio programs.My wife had the free 3 mos when she bought her current car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Both cars are equipped with XM radio which accounts for 80% of my playing time, the other 20% from my phone (Spotify). 

Even though I have the thumb drive in the car, most of the time I listen to XM radio too. The Coffee House has guven me exposure to many artists that I like that I never would have run across without the service. I also listen to the No Shoes channel a lot too.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I was exactly as you. I was very adverse to paying for radio then bought a car with an XM free trial... and that's all she wrote. I can't do without it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I met in 1965.She did not work at the camp.I remember Phil.On my list are two brothers :Abie and Yankie.Others were Sam ,Rona ,Sandy .Milt was in charge ,Phil reported to him.There was also Manny .Manny and I were in charge of 13 year old boys.I have pictures of some of the kids in the group.

My cousin Joel S.was a camper.He was 9 years old that summer.

Two of the boys in my group were Larry and Schlomo.They are the only ones that I remember.

Re 6 degrees of separation.I became friendly with a CC regular a few months ago .We both posted about living in Canarsie.I asked him which street he lived on and it was a block away from me.He gave me his e-mail address and through the course of several emails I found out that we knew several of the same people .That is really a small world.

I don't remember anyone you mentioned except Phil.  I don't remember any of my camp friends except the 2 that I was friendly with from my neighborhood.  Camp solidified those two friendships.  One I never lost touch with and we speak at least once every 2 months like time hasn't flown.  We giggle and can't believe the antics we pulled all those wonderful years ago.

The internet is making our world smaller and smaller.

• Like 2

I'm also hooked on Sirius/XM.  It's on 100% of the time that I'm in the car, and we listen to it through Alexa also in the house.  My go to stations are Classic Rewind and Classic Vinyl, NFL Radio, and various comedy channels.  Sometimes, I'll listen to The Spectrum or The Bridge.  My musical interests are not very diverse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I never knew you could donate old paint.    We have a bunch of old paint cans in our basement.   I will have to see if our local habitat for humanity store will accept them.

I don't think it's Habitat for Humanity that will take the paint directly.  I think it was Matthew 25 Ministries that my neighbor said would take paint and then supply it to causes like Habitat for Humanity.  

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I remember the first color TV my Dad bought.  We were all excited…turned it on to watch The Wizard of Oz.  Wait!!  The TV isn’t working!!!  We never knew the first part of the movie is in black and white!

We had the first color tv in our area.  My dad was friends with the owner of the store.  The owner used to bring people over to our house to see the color!  I believe Bonanza was the first show broadcast in color.  I remember that de-magnitizing thing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I don't remember anyone you mentioned except Phil.  I don't remember any of my camp friends except the 2 that I was friendly with from my neighborhood.  Camp solidified those two friendships.  One I never lost touch with and we speak at least once every 2 months like time hasn't flown.  We giggle and can't believe the antics we pulled all those wonderful years ago.

The internet is making our world smaller and smaller.

In 1972 I was working in the same building as Sam T.a Counsellor at the camp in 1959 .The wife of one of my current friends worked at the camp in more recent years .Her name is Lois .

Re Small world do you recall all our back and forth posts regarding your BIL Carl ? I know I was introduced to him in either 1960 or 1961 by a girl who lived on the same block as him.She and I were school friends.Even though she lived really close to him she went to my high school which was kind of strange.

10 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We had the first color tv in our area.  My dad was friends with the owner of the store.  The owner used to bring people over to our house to see the color!  I believe Bonanza was the first show broadcast in color.  I remember that de-magnitizing thing.

My father bought a color TV in 1963 .The brand was Andrea .I think it was manufactured in Italy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1972 I was working in the same building as Sam T.a Counsellor at the camp in 1959 .The wife of one of my current friends worked at the camp in more recent years .Her name is Lois .

Re Small world do you recall all our back and forth posts regarding your BIL Carl ? I know I was introduced to him in either 1960 or 1961 by a girl who lived on the same block as him.She and I were school friends.Even though she lived really close to him she went to my high school which was kind of strange.

I do recall talking about Carl. Did your school friend have a brother Elliot?  I met him, his sister, and his mother in their store on Orchard St by chance and found out they lived across the street from Carl.  I probably asked you that before but unlike you, my memory recall is not as sharp as yours.

• Like 1

So far, having to have an appointment for WJ has been a non issue, never saw a line.

Also,  just booked an appointment for the departure covid test.  On Celebrity, I understand they had two who tested positive, and Celebrity brought the home on a chartered flight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I was exactly as you. I was very adverse to paying for radio then bought a car with an XM free trial... and that's all she wrote. I can't do without it.

Now is the perfect time for cruise lines to adjust their bidding up programs to make the offers lower to "hook" their customers to book suites. With such reduced capacity it is the perfect time to do it.

FYI - this is a Celebrity "bid up" for the beginning 3 cruises............example: we have an aft balcony cabin - to bid to a suite this is the PP minimum bid $2100 for a sky suite and $3100 for a Celebrity suite. Evidently not many folks eager to do it as I keep getting reminders to bid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruise wizard said:

Now is the perfect time for cruise lines to adjust their bidding up programs to make the offers lower to "hook" their customers to book suites. With such reduced capacity it is the perfect time to do it.

FYI - this is a Celebrity "bid up" for the beginning 3 cruises............example: we have an aft balcony cabin - to bid to a suite this is the PP minimum bid $2100 for a sky suite and $3100 for a Celebrity suite. Evidently not many folks eager to do it as I keep getting reminders to bid.

Is that a total price, or on top of the original price, and is per person or both

21 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I do recall talking about Carl. Did your school friend have a brother Elliot?  I met him, his sister, and his mother in their store on Orchard St by chance and found out they lived across the street from Carl.  I probably asked you that before but unlike you, my memory recall is not as sharp as yours.

No brother named Elliot.I listed several people that graduated in the same year as Carl or the next year that he did not know.On my last cruise (2019)I met and became friends with a guy who graduated the year after Carl.I am going to e-mail him later and ask if he knew Carl.Everyone who Carl did not know ,this guy,Paul R.also did not know.I remember your BIL’s last name because it is the same as somebody I knew in my HS .

I have a form of Dementia currently in which at times I cannot remember things like current days but my memories from my childhood and teen years are great .

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a form of Dementia currently in which at times I cannot remember things like current days but my memories from my childhood and teen years are great .

Sorry to hear that.  Yes it seems for folks with memory problems their recall about long ago events are sharper in their minds than what happened recently.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:On top of our original price...............the range to a strong bid is $4500 PP for a Sky Suite and $5000 PP for the Celebrity Suite.

We paid less than 4K with all the perks for our sky , we have week bids for all the suites above ours, I hated to give up our royal suite that we had for summit but too much hassle with St Maarten and that was under 5k when we booked it . I love celebrity suite perks and Luminae.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George C said:

We paid less than 4K with all the perks for our sky , we have week bids for all the suites above ours, I hated to give up our royal suite that we had for summit but too much hassle with St Maarten and that was under 5k when we booked it . I love celebrity suite perks and Luminae.

If the price was more reasonable.............we might have joined you. Certainly not paying 3X for a suite!!!! We are doing the B2B2B for about the prices of 1 week on the Bid Up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

If the price was more reasonable.............we might have joined you. Certainly not paying 3X for a suite!!!! We are doing the B2B2B for about the prices of 1 week on the Bid Up.

You have a aft balcony if I remember correctly, they are hard to give up, since wife works are vacation time is limited, we would never do 3 weeks while we have our cats . 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Sorry to hear that.  Yes it seems for folks with memory problems their recall about long ago events are sharper in their minds than what happened recently.

I enjoy having the old memories.I recently had conversations with two guys  who I last saw the day we graduated Elementary school.We had wonderful phone calls with great conversations.

• Like 2