Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just finished check in for our March 26th cruise with Chris and Donna (their wedding present).     Woot Woot!!!     

I made reservation yesterday for a mid size SUV to drive to Bayonne (drop off minutes away from pier) that will fit luggage for 4 adults.   

Found it odd that the rental price to get there was just over $150 but only $50 for the return.  Still better than paying for parking for 2 vehicles as none of our cars would hold everyone's luggage.    

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I'm waiting for the 17 shorter segments to be released.  Lots of great 10 to 30 day itineraries

17........... Yikes !!    Must be a nightmare figuring out what cabins are available for what portions and I think I read somewhere Royal will still guarantee you if you book all 4 segments you will still be able to stay in the same cabin for all 4 legs. So they still must have a lot of cabins in all categories set aside for that to happen.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

17........... Yikes !!    Must be a nightmare figuring out what cabins are available for what portions and I think I read somewhere Royal will still guarantee you if you book all 4 segments you will still be able to stay in the same cabin for all 4 legs. So they still must have a lot of cabins in all categories set aside for that to happen.

I saw a note in their world cruise site said they will try their best if you book all 4 segments but impossible to guarantee now that they have opened up booking various segments to others.    If someone wanted to be in same cabin for the entire cruise I hope they booked much earlier than now.   

From what others are saying they have a limited number of cabins available.    Suites were all sold out a while ago.   

Final payment is due in June so maybe some will open up then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The way they have the bookings set up its very easy.

There are dedicated cabins set aside for the full voyage, another set of cabins for the 4 segments and the rest will go to the legs.  As we get closer to the date cabins from the full voyage will then be allocated to the 4 segments and so on 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I saw a note in their world cruise site said they will try their best if you book all 4 segments but impossible to guarantee now that they have opened up booking various segments to others.    If someone wanted to be in same cabin for the entire cruise I hope they booked much earlier than now.   

From what others are saying they have a limited number of cabins available.    Suites were all sold out a while ago.   

Final payment is due in June so maybe some will open up then.

The full voyage with all 4 legs is still open to book and there are plenty of cabins, including 2 grand suites ($344,331) that have opened up.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Just finished check in for our March 26th cruise with Chris and Donna (their wedding present).     Woot Woot!!!     

I made reservation yesterday for a mid size SUV to drive to Bayonne (drop off minutes away from pier) that will fit luggage for 4 adults.   

Found it odd that the rental price to get there was just over $150 but only $50 for the return.  Still better than paying for parking for 2 vehicles as none of our cars would hold everyone's luggage.    

We are thinking of maybe getting a rental car for 2 days($146) and driving to Bayonne, Staying one night in Harrisburg(our house to Harrisburg 4 hours) and then driving to the port on the second day from Harrisburg (about 2 hours and 30 minutes) Dropping the car off about 3 miles from the port, then taking a taxi to the ship.

Right now flights are about $350 RT, would also need an extra night hotel(At Charlotte Airport, night before flight(2 1/2 hour drive from our house to the Airport) if we fly. If we fly we need 2 hotels stays, one at Charlotte Airport and one in Bayonne.

If we drive both ways, We could visit our Son and my Sisters in NJ too after the cruise(14 night cruise). Thursday(getting off the ship) and Friday, Drive home on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The full voyage with all 4 legs is still open to book and there are plenty of cabins, including 2 grand suites ($344,331) that have opened up.

Insane !!! is that per person or for the cabin(for 2)?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We are thinking of maybe getting a rental car for 2 days($146) and driving to Bayonne, Staying one night in Harrisburg(our house to Harrisburg 4 hours) and then driving to the port on the second day from Harrisburg (about 2 hours and 30 minutes) Dropping the car off about 3 miles from the port, then taking a taxi to the ship.

Right now flights are about $350 RT, would also need an extra night hotel(At Charlotte Airport, night before flight(2 1/2 hour drive from our house to the Airport) if we fly. If we fly we need 2 hotels stays, one at Charlotte Airport and one in Bayonne.

If we drive both ways, We could visit our Son and my Sisters in NJ too after the cruise(14 night cruise). Thursday(getting off the ship) and Friday, Drive home on Saturday.

Jimbo, you may not be a coach bus person, but just throwing it in.....some friends of ours who stayed around Harrisburg drove to Allentown airport (could be bus depot) area to park and take the Transbridge bus to the ports: NYC, Bayonne or Baltimore. It was a round trip bus and you prebook it. At that time the parking was $5 a day and prior to that it was free. Someone had mentioned hotels you could stay overnight in the area. I believe a lot of upstate PA people who do not want to park at the port or pay for limo/rental do that. Google Transbridge for exact info.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

WOW -- that's more than $1000/day for a GS.     I guess what I read this morning was wrong in saying there wasn't much left for the entire 4 legs.    Curious, are any of the OV cabins in section 4580 thru 4590 open for the first leg?    Do you see them or do you have to call to find out?   

22 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

OH MY!

That's the price of a home.
And you have to get out of that "home" at the end of the cruise!

I know it's a heck of a cruise of one's life time, but still.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Jimbo, you may not be a coach bus person, but just throwing it in.....some friends of ours who stayed around Harrisburg drove to Allentown airport (could be bus depot) area to park and take the Transbridge bus to the ports: NYC, Bayonne or Baltimore. It was a round trip bus and you prebook it. At that time the parking was $5 a day and prior to that it was free. Someone had mentioned hotels you could stay overnight in the area. I believe a lot of upstate PA people who do not want to park at the port or pay for limo/rental do that. Google Transbridge for exact info.

I had checked transbridge website yesterday before I reserved our rental car and they still have service to Bayonne suspended.   Not sure why.   

https://transbridgelines.com/pier-services

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We used Avis last March when we needed a large vehicle to fit all our luggage and it worked out pretty well.    Last year we dropped off the kids (grown adults) and luggage at the port first then we returned the car at avis and took Uber back to the port.     One tip, we drove all over looking for Avis it is hidden on the back side of a garage and car wash (signage is poor).    We almost did not make the 1 pm cut off time to return the vehicle as noone was answering their phone when we called for directions and kept circling the area.    Until I finally stopped at a gas station and they told me it was in the rear of the building across the street.    

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We used Avis last March when we needed a large vehicle to fit all our luggage and it worked out pretty well.    Last year we dropped off the kids (grown adults) and luggage at the port first then we returned the car at avis and took Uber back to the port.     One tip, we drove all over looking for Avis it is hidden on the back side of a garage and car wash (signage is poor).    We almost did not make the 1 pm cut off time to return the vehicle as noone was answering their phone when we called for directions and kept circling the area.    Until I finally stopped at a gas station and they told me it was in the rear of the building across the street.    

I believe both AVIS and Budget have the same location, is this where you were?

180 E 22nd St, Bayonne, NJ 07002

https://www.google.com/maps/place/180+E+22nd+St,+Bayonne,+NJ+07002/@40.6594726,-74.1110269,3a,35.9y,220.24h,94.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFMQCLaoV-F9Qc7heg7TA6w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m8!3m7!1s0x89c251e35d3fa645:0x6c75947aa32b23e4!8m2!3d40.6589463!4d-74.1109232!14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI!16s%2Fg%2F11jzyb1f6b

Our plan is to pick up car in Virginia around 10am on the 13th, and then drive 4 hours to Harrisburg, over night there and then be on the road on the 14th by 6:30am for the 2hour 30 minute drive to the Budget Car Rental in Bayonne  to drop off car by 10am.

Then grab a taxi or uber to the port 3 miles away.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

As much as I love cruising, I think the whole thing would just be too much for me.  I'd love to do a segment though.  It's not possible but 63 nights would be amazing.  

I don't think I could do more than a couple of weeks. Eight nights really suits me well. My eating and drinking while on a cruise is nothing like at home and neither are my exercise routines. Maybe if I didn't have home obligations I would feel differently. However, though I had a great time on Odessey, I was happy to get home. Though I am already feeling like I'm ready for another cruise. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't think I could do more than a couple of weeks. Eight nights really suits me well. My eating and drinking while on a cruise is nothing like at home and neither are my exercise routines. Maybe if I didn't have home obligations I would feel differently. However, though I had a great time on Odessey, I was happy to get home. Though I am already feeling like I'm ready for another cruise. 

I agree, I couldn't do the whole world cruise, especially not on Serenade.  We are not in a position right now to do long cruises anyway due to family obligations but I would only consider a sailing like that on a newer ship with more options.  We sailed Serenade right before the shutdown and it was very tired then.  Cabins really need sprucing up.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have no obligations other than my dog and I'm ready to go home after 4 days of eating and drinking.  I'm a lightweight 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I believe both AVIS and Budget have the same location, is this where you were?

180 E 22nd St, Bayonne, NJ 07002

https://www.google.com/maps/place/180+E+22nd+St,+Bayonne,+NJ+07002/@40.6594726,-74.1110269,3a,35.9y,220.24h,94.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFMQCLaoV-F9Qc7heg7TA6w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m8!3m7!1s0x89c251e35d3fa645:0x6c75947aa32b23e4!8m2!3d40.6589463!4d-74.1109232!14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI!16s%2Fg%2F11jzyb1f6b

Our plan is to pick up car in Virginia around 10am on the 13th, and then drive 4 hours to Harrisburg, over night there and then be on the road on the 14th by 6:30am for the 2hour 30 minute drive to the Budget Car Rental in Bayonne  to drop off car by 10am.

Then grab a taxi or uber to the port 3 miles away.

Yes, this location.  Budget and Avis are same location around the rear of the bldg.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I was thinking I was the only old one here. 😂  I've been waiting for someone to say Elvis!  I was fortunate enough to see him in two different concerts, and is still the most memorable.  Neil Diamond was another good one.

Elvis Costello was pretty good.I did not have an appreciation of Neil Diamond until recently.