Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And it was a completely worthless course for anything that followed in my life.

Many mandatory courses in college are worthless unless they are related to what one majored in.I completed the majority of required courses prior to my Senior year and was able to take some really enjoyable Electives.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FINNLEY!!!    Love the photos of all the sweet babes.    Especially love silly Caden wearing the hats on his shoulders

Caden loves setting up tournaments.   He sets them up for March Madness,  the baseball playoffs, etc.  While at Lakeside he set up a shuffleboard tournament.   He picked me as his teammate.  He did not know it but his uncle ordered trophies for the winners.  He was so excited when we won and we got trophies 🏆!

image.thumb.png.c272344d9a53c35dca4426597d4ba330.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Oh, how I long to be there right now!  My next cruise isn't until March for our Panama Cruise

This is also the corridor I will be walking down on our Bella cruise!

I'm glad you had a great time with your friends at your Reunion.  We had a decent turnout for our 50th High School Reunion, although a few of the girls did have some health issues.

Tonight is Jim's High School Reunion, which he just realized a few days ago...he paid for it a year ago.  He won't be going after all, since our daughter will be arriving from Connecticut to help celebrate my Birthday this evening with our daughters and grandchildren.

Happy Birthday to one of the truly nice people in this world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

Kinda like Calculus and Trigonometry?  Basic algebra and geometry should be plenty of math for the general public, yet schools are requiring higher math for EVERYONE regardless of whether it's relevant to their future or not.  

I took a class in college Theory of Calculus in lieu of Calculus.It was very boring.I hated Algebra ,Geometry and Trigonometry.I took Geology instead of Chemistry once I changed from a pre DVMD Major.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Debbi, we were very concerned when our daughter as a small child didn't eat enough to, we feel, stay alive!  Her pediatrician assured me that she's healthy and that a child never starved in a loving house filled with food. 

Andrew basically survived on *air* until he turned 12. When he was younger, he rarely ever finished a child’s meal at a restaurant and only ate a few bites at mealtimes at home. I must admit I did worry about it. Now that he is a teen, however, he finally has an appetite. Brian’s family is full of accomplished runners and athletes, and thankfully Andrew inherited their physique instead of mine. 😁 

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many mandatory courses in college are worthless unless they are related to what one majored in.I completed the majority of required courses prior to my Senior year and was able to take some really enjoyable Electives.

I did the same. I had my major finished at the end of my junior year. My senior year was actually fun and I took some very interesting and enjoyable courses. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I was never good at math and dropped my calculus class as I could never understand anything. Now mind you I can write an orchestral music score but math has never been my strong suit.

I had a dual Major of Psychology and Sociology and loved the required and electives in those subjects.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I was never good at math and dropped my calculus class as I could never understand anything. Now mind you I can write an orchestral music score but math has never been my strong suit.

My next life I am coming back as a math teacher. The best part about math is it doesn't change. You only have to learn it once. Now, let's talk about having summers off.😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Oops.   I just noticed word correction changed Finnley to one n and it will not let me edit.

Finnley has been taken care of at our house throughout the week, while mom worked, since she was born.  Monday she starts daycare.   It will be a sad week.  We love having her.  We will still have her on Fridays.   It will help us with our withdrawal.   At least Sharon can sleep in when she needs to now.

Best wishes for a wonderful birthday to Finley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I did the same. I had my major finished at the end of my junior year. My senior year was actually fun and I took some very interesting and enjoyable courses. 

I took History of Latin America as an Elective and enjoyed it so much that I took the follow up in my last semester.

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My next life I am coming back as a math teacher. The best part about math is it doesn't change. You only have to learn it once. Now, let's talk about having summers off.😁

Teach me Obi Wan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The best part about math is it doesn't change.

Well it shouldn't change.  These days absolute things are twisted. 

I remember my kids were being taught the "new math" methods in High School.   It made calculations so much more confusing.   I would explain old school algebra and then they would understand both ways.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Both of my daughters are teachers.One teaches Math to to the kids in an Elementary School as well as the teachers.My other daughter majored in Criminal Justice and then switched her major to Education and became a HS History teacher.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Andrew basically survived on *air* until he turned 12. When he was younger, he rarely ever finished a child’s meal at a restaurant and only ate a few bites at mealtimes at home. I must admit I did worry about it. Now that he is a teen, however, he finally has an appetite. Brian’s family is full of accomplished runners and athletes, and thankfully Andrew inherited their physique instead of mine. 😁 

Parents obsess about food intake way too much and then we end up with a society full of obesity. I once got into a discussion with a parent who has concerns about her son not eating breakfast. I asked her why someone should eat when they are not hungry? She said but ge might get hungry later if he doesn't eat. I told her she should start going on cruises as she had the perfect mentality. 

BTW, Andrew looks quite healthy to me.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Well it shouldn't change.  These days absolute things are twisted. 

I remember my kids were being taught the "new math" methods in High School.   It made calculations so much more confusing.   I would explain old school algebra and then they would understand both ways.

Math doesn't change. The people who don't actually teach it come up with new ways to teach it. Very much like people who don't actually take care of patients come up with new "protocols" for those of us who do, to follow.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Keep in mind that at that age, the insane growth rate slows down more, so they simply don't need as much food because their bodies aren't burning it all in growing new tissue/bones at the same rate as the first years.  People often fret that their child isn't eating enough, when in fact it's completely normal for toddlers to not need as much fuel. 

Using averages, a typical newborn would be around 3.5kg and would gain about 6.9kg by its first birthday (total weight 10.4 at 1yo).  That's basically tripling its weight the first year. 

But then the growth the second year is only about 2.3kg (total weight 12.7 at 2yo), which is only a fifth of the weight on the first birthday.   

The growth the third year is only about 1.6kg (total weight 14.3 at 3yo), which is only a tenth of the weight on the second birthday.  

So the growth rate the first year is a whopping 200%, the second year it's about 18%, and the third year it's only 11%. Kids don't eat as much because they simply don't need as much.

As long as the child's doctor isn't concerned about their growth rate, I wouldn't worry about "enticing" ANY child to eat... they should listen to their body's cues and eat when they're hungry and stop when they're not hungry anymore. 

I know in the USA obesity is rampant among those of us raised in the "Clean Plate Club" who were told to finish everything on our plate because "there are starving children in <random faraway place with food deficit problems>" so we grew up not paying attention to our body's signals, but rather using society's "rules" about how much to eat.  I never understood how me eating my food in Michigan was going to have an impact on some hungry kid on another continent anyway!

Sensible sound advice, thank you. He certainly has lots of energy 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Math doesn't change. The people who don't actually teach it come up with new ways to teach it. Very much like people who don't actually take care of patients come up with new "protocols" for those of us who do, to follow.

Yep, I remember having to go to school when my son was in 3rd or 4th grade to learn how they were going to teach math so parents wouldn't "confuse" the kids with other methods.  

As for kids and eating, my grandkids can swing from a few bites to putting any adult to shame.  Their parents tell them after almost every meal thanks for listening to your body.  Of course they will say they are full until the good stuff that's at grandma's house comes out, then they have plenty of room.  My job to spoil them while visiting,

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Parents obsess about food intake way too much and then we end up with a society full of obesity. I once got into a discussion with a parent who has concerns about her son not eating breakfast. I asked her why someone should eat when they are not hungry? She said but ge might get hungry later if he doesn't eat. I told her she should start going on cruises as she had the perfect mentality. 

BTW, Andrew looks quite healthy to me.

Thanks! I agree, but part of the reason I worried was because his ped voiced concern at times. He was typically in 75% for height and below 25% for weight (at times closer to 10%). He is very active and very healthy now, though. 

• Like 6