Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

These were the seats we were in. We were in the same exact airplane that had a wing tip damaged the week before. After Mike landed in SA last week another AA 777 hit its wing causing damage. They were supposed to fly back home that night, but had to wait until next day for a replacement aircraft. Thanks Mike for telling me this just as we were taking off. 😁

We were in 21 J & L.

They are staying at the Doubletree near the port. We're in the same hotel and arrived yesterday.

You scored a great seat location. Are planes coming in contact with each other, or other objects, a common occurrence? What are to reprocussions to the pilots for damaging a plane? Obviously, I need another DL chat with Mike.😊

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mo&fran said:

One website I occasionally look at , just for fun, is called Flightradar24, that allows me to see airplanes flying around my area of Florida.  A feature is a box featuring a list of the most followed flights in  the website. Just a note about this subject, all ended well, except the passengers did not end up at their hoped for destination.

The flight UA1076. a Boeing 757  LAX - EWR declared an emergency shortly after takeoff.  Mr Google on that flight number lead to this site.

https://aviationsourcenews.com/emergency/united-757-squawks-7700-off-californian-coast/

This website, based in the UK,  gives us what looks like a real time chronicle of what they watched,  along with a Youtube  picture of the airplane after landing. LAX  must have a live feed on Youtube.

Nope.  Not touching that one.

10 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Andrew broke his left pinky finger AGAIN while throwing a football with Brian today. The first time was in 2019. Unfortunately, this time it’s going to affect playing football at school, which he was really excited about. 😭

He’s also dreading being stuck in a cast again for the next 6 weeks. Waiting on a call from ortho for that.

Sorry this happened to Andrew again.  Hope he heals quickly.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Safe travels wished to you and Marty. Have a great cruise my friends!

+ 1  Helen & Marty, Renee & Mike

@FromSea2ShiningSea     @ReneeFLL

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We flew on that last year to and from CPH.  I was late booking my seats but luckily enough Row 56 was open at the back where the plane tapers and there are only 2 seats.  I grabbed those both there and back and they were great seats.  I would definitely pick those again for the 2 of us.

Same here, we don't mind where we sit, as long as we can be only the 2 of us. Just grabbed those seats on our return flight from Amsterdam [see below]. Being the rush travel of the Jewish holidays, El Al allocated a Dreamliner for this itinerary, lucky us...

8 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Dani, I hope you get to visit your family in Amsterdam. I know it will be difficult now they are gone, but hopefully they are safer. I pray for peace in your country.

Thank you, Nancy.

We have great news -- the "kids" were very lucky in finding a rental. The Israeli "networking" at its best -- someone heard from someone, etc. that a house for rent is about to "hit" the market, and asked the owner to grant them a "preview". Turns out the owner took a shine on my family. DS2 also offered an additional 50 Euro per month and advance pay of one year, and the house didn't even reach the market, saving them the "bidding wars...".

So, first thing we booked a flight to Amsterdam, to spend with them the Jewish New Year and the following Yom Kippur. We hope that DS1 will join us during the Yom Kippur. Of course the flights are scarce (during Yom Kippur the airport and practically all the country are closed) and the prices are through the roof. Luckily, I've used points about to expire to "soften the blow"...

Personally, we don't like the house at all, it is not practical for hosting, but, given the scarcity of rentals, they could not be picky. There is only one toilet at the ground floor (with a work/guest room 20 meters from it....), and another one in the only bathroom on the 1st floor. There is a nice guest room on the 2nd floor, but without any amenities.

We'll see how it goes....

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Feel better Andrew!

+ 1  Bethany  @TravelGirlinDallas

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Enjoying the pictures of Amsterdam, Renee.

+ 1, keep them coming, pls.  @ReneeFLL 

When we lived in Brussels, we used to visit quite a lot, and eat at Cafe de Klos, if you're into ribs... The "catch" is that they don't take bookings.

If you're into shopping, Peek & Cloppenburg have nice and affordable merchandise. De Bijenkorf is more upscale.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is currently sunny and 68°F.

We had a good church service this morning then went to the beach with our Gregg's snacks and coffee.

I hope everyone is safe and well and you all have a really great day.

IMG_20230813_121316.jpg

Nice to see that you have sunny skies today.  Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Nice to see that you have sunny skies today.  Enjoy

We had some nasty thunder storms early this morning. Lightning must have hit something close. Several circuit breakers in the house tripped. Happened right after some thunder sound like it was right over the house. It even triggered the front door bell to chime.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

We had some nasty thunder storms early this morning. Lightning must have hit something close. Several circuit breakers in the house tripped. Happened right after some thunder sound like it was right over the house. It even triggered the front door bell to chime.

Did everything restore after you reset breakers?     As Marietta said this summer sure has been filled with a lot of crazy storms, heat, humidity, etc etc.     

I work for an alarm / security company and we have had a lot of customers with power surge issues damage their equipment this summer.    We always recommend surge protection but most people don't elect then they complain when their NVR's, security cameras, driveway gates, panels etc no longer work.   

• Like 2

We are back home from a wonderful cruise. As wonderful and great it is to be on a cruise, there is nothing like home. Laundry has been started.

My short thoughts: The Wonder is a great ship.I am sure all Bella 2 cruisers are going to have a great time and I am looking forward to meeting everybody.

I have posted pictures throughout the cruise. If anyone wants any specific info, I can help if I know the answer.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did everything restore after you reset breakers?     As Marietta said this summer sure has been filled with a lot of crazy storms, heat, humidity, etc etc.     

I work for an alarm / security company and we have had a lot of customers with power surge issues damage their equipment this summer.    We always recommend surge protection but most people don't elect then they complain when their NVR's, security cameras, driveway gates, panels etc no longer work.   

Yes, everything is working so nothing was fried. I hope there are no surprises at the office tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@dani negreanu I’m so glad to read your ‘kids’ have found more permanent housing. Even if it’s not ideal, it must be a relief.  

@ReneeFLL and @FromSea2ShiningSea hard to keep it straight between this thread and Bella’s but it looks like you’re cruising together.  Hope you all have a great trip and share lots of pictures with us!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

I say this to teachers all the time, with how many children are raised to think that they can do no wrong, with no manners or respect for others being taught at home.  I don't know how today's teachers handle it.

It's great that we have so many different occupational options these days to match with a person's natural talents/interests.  Back when I was growing up, women were either teachers, nurses, or secretaries. Girls growing up these days are able to see role models in literally any profession.

When my wife was in college women either became teachers or housewives.My. Wife wanted to be a nurse but her mother said that is not for you.After our second child was born my wife went back to college to get her nursing degree and was an RN for 26 years.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

While most of CC is full of snark and name-calling and ridiculing and one-up-manship, our beloved "Dani's Thread" has remained a haven of civility and community. 

Every once in a blue moon, we'll get a new person who comes in and comments with the typical catty snark you see in other threads, but they quickly get shut down.  

34ba73a7-28a3-4950-9f25-fba93388de18_text.gif

I have been posting on a nostalgia message board since 1999.It is likely one of the few boards still existing that long .One of the reasons is that people do not argue there.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Have a great trip. How did you like that plane?

Thank you, OB.  The plane was fine.  There were so many people boarding that I wasn’t sure if it was going to fit everyone.  But it did and still had overhead bin spaces available.  

17 hours ago, Jimbo said:

She is in the air now, just left an hour ago, she ha s an almost 11 hour flight.

Might depend what section of the plane she is in as to how she likes the flight or not.

The plane holds almost 300 passengers.

Hawaiian Airlines Unveils Boeing 787 Dreamliner Cabin Design; Introduces  Leihōkū Suites | Hawaiian Airlines | Newsroom

Inside WestJet's Brand New 787-9 Dreamliner - YouTube

View of the economy class of the first Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner of Xiamen  Airlines at the Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport in Xiamen city,  southeast Stock Photo - Alamy

Thanks for posting the pictures of the plane. We were in the back for basic economy.  Rows 50J & 51F.  Both aisle seats.  I need an  aisle seat because of my left leg that I need to straighten out and stretch once in awhile.  But then I could not see out the window to take pictures.  There were some really nice shots of the peninsula as we were flying over it and some pretty clouds later on that I couldn’t take.

The flight attendants were serving dinner and the options were vegetables with noodles or chicken.  When this one lady attendant who was very serious and no smiles came around to our row, she said, “vegetables with noodles or chicken?”  I said “I’d like the filet mignon please”.  She said okay.  I then ordered the Chicken.  Then she had to search her cart for the chicken tray, I said, “Now I can get the filet mignon.”  She was amused and smiled!

Wonder if she has wifi? Eleven hours to Amsterdam?

The flight was supposed to be 11 hours but it was actually 9 1/2 hours.  We were 1 1/2 hours delayed because they couldn’t find an available gate.  Even the pilots were there waiting for the plane.

Ohhhh, did not realize she is leaving from the west coast.

It is a long flight for us folks from the west coast to fly to Europe kind of like you east coasters taking that long flying to Hawaii.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yes, everything is working so nothing was fried. I hope there are no surprises at the office tomorrow.

Glad you didn't have any damage.  A surge hit my Mom's building earlier in the summer.  It tripped two of her circuit breakers and she lost one TV.  Person beside her lost their cable box and a TV.  The building lost the fire alarm panel and the video intercom system used for visitors.  Fire department required the building to have a fire watch on the building 24/7 until the panel was fixed.  They had to pay for a fireman to walk the building.  That system was fixable at least and was working within days.  The other system was fried and needed to be replaced including replacing the video phones in all condos.  That was out for almost two months.  It is a 55+ community, so not being able to buzz people in was a real inconvenience for some of the older people.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Both aisle seats.  I need an  aisle seat because of my left leg that I need to straighten out and stretch once in awhile

Same for me and my sciatic nerve. I have to stretch it out or I’m in pain in the sitting position. Have a great trip.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We have great news -- the "kids" were very lucky in finding a rental. The Israeli "networking" at its best -- someone heard from someone, etc. that a house for rent is about to "hit" the market, and asked the owner to grant them a "preview". Turns out the owner took a shine on my family. DS2 also offered an additional 50 Euro per month and advance pay of one year, and the house didn't even reach the market, saving them the "bidding wars...".

So, first thing we booked a flight to Amsterdam, to spend with them the Jewish New Year and the following Yom Kippur. We hope that DS1 will join us during the Yom Kippur. Of course the flights are scarce (during Yom Kippur the airport and practically all the country are closed) and the prices are through the roof. Luckily, I've used points about to expire to "soften the blow"...

Personally, we don't like the house at all, it is not practical for hosting, but, given the scarcity of rentals, they could not be picky. There is only one toilet at the ground floor (with a work/guest room 20 meters from it....), and another one in the only bathroom on the 1st floor. There is a nice guest room on the 2nd floor, but without any amenities.

We'll see how it goes....

+ 1  Bethany  @TravelGirlinDallas

+ 1, keep them coming, pls.  @ReneeFLL 

When we lived in Brussels, we used to visit quite a lot, and eat at Cafe de Klos, if you're into ribs... The "catch" is that they don't take bookings.

If you're into shopping, Peek & Cloppenburg have nice and affordable merchandise. De Bijenkorf is more upscale.

Good news your "kids" found a rental. As far as amenities, when our daughter lived in a 2 bedroom townhouse, when we visited, we slept on a pull out couch for 2 weeks and had minimal closet space, almost no drawer space.  We had a powder room (toilet, sink) near us so that was a plus.  Only one full bathroom so we had to be patient to wait our turn for showers.

They'll be fine and you will be too.  I can imagine the excitement and anticipation in waiting to see them again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1