Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

41 minutes ago, Coralc said:

There is one left in SF Bay Area. It is quite a way aways, though. We used to have an Outlet store, too. It was great for appliances. I miss Sears, but not enough to drive some distance to get there. I wonder if JC Penney will be next.   

Same here.  We bought all appliances, except current fridge, from Sears outlet.   I miss them and K-Mart.  I Hate Wal-mart

• Like 3

Anybody have an opinion in TCL TV's? I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this - a TCL QM8 65 inch 4K with mini-led QLED Smart (is there any other kind? ) TV

https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/home-theater/qm8-class/65-class-4k-mini-led-qled-hdr-google-tv-65qm850g

3 of 4 Samsung TV's I've had all died a premature death within 3 years of purchase. The 4th one is going on 10 years now & is showing its age, large patches of pixels not longer seem to work correctly or not work at all giving the image a "blotchy" look. 

Since I've had bad luck with Samsung and Sony is just too expensive, I'm not considering either brand. My main TV is an LG which I love & I was pretty certain I was going to buy another LG until I read the  reviews of the TCL QM8 from professionals & users. Everybody seems blown away by the quality of the picture. 

In terms of technology, the mini-LED QLED is the newest tech, known for it's brightness. Picture quality wise, it's a small step down from OLED TV's which is considered the best but those work better in darker rooms (so I'm told) & since this TV is going into a very bright, sun-filled room, mini-LED QLED seems the way to go.

TCL lists the price $1,699 which must be Royal math as Best Buy has it for $1,399 on sale for $999.  Still a bit more than I wanted - I was looking in the $700-$800 range -  but since it's being compared to the picture quality of Sony & Samsung's that are twice the price, it seems like too good of a deal to pass on.

I welcome any and all thoughts, opinions, critiques and off-topic comments. 🙂

EDIT: And when I say I'm about to pull the trigger, I mean by Sunday. That's when the sale ends.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Coralc said:

There is one left in SF Bay Area. It is quite a way aways, though. We used to have an Outlet store, too. It was great for appliances. I miss Sears, but not enough to drive some distance to get there. I wonder if JC Penney will be next.   

I'm pretty sure most things in my parents house came from Sears.  My dad swore by Craftsman tools. Sears was the pre-Internet version of Amazon.

Except you could get your car fixed at Sears, can't do that at Amazon.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm pretty sure most things in my parents house came from Sears.  My dad swore by Craftsman tools. Sears was the pre-Internet version of Amazon.

Exactly

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I read that Macy's is closing 150 stores.  Not a surprise.  Store inventory was very low and sales staff was telling people to shop on macys app for better options.

Such a shame.  I prefer to see, feel and try on before buying. 

That's a shame, I really liked Macy's too. Especially when they had their "One Day Sale" on Wednesday, with a "preview" day on Tuesday. Followed by a Sat/Sun weekend sale with a "preview" day on Friday. So basically, don't shop on Monday as that was the one day everything was full price 🤑 

Then if you had a right coupon, you could score an extra 20 - 30% off the sale price.  But after a while, the coupons got annoying as there would be 97 exceptions/exclusions listed on the back in the tiniest font ever invented.

Agree, I normally like to feel & try something before buying it unless I'm buying the exact same thing.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

How long is your travel time to get home?

Direct BA flights is 12 hours, Emirates via DXB is 8 hrs each segment plus 2 hrs layover in DXB.  Currently in Grand Copthorne in SIN at day room rate,  extremely nice room/hotel. Flight is 9pm tonight. Will have a swim, maybe a walk along the  Riverside, rest, late lunch shower and get taxi to airport around 6pm.

Enjoyed Spectrum, though seemed crowded and noisy. 

Silk Road in 270 was amazing 

20240229_130712.thumb.jpg.868ea02e60092e60211cf620d1ac35b4.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I bought an outdoor gas grill from sears when we moved into our house about a dozen years ago and still can order parts .Any store that exists in a mall is in danger, Kohl’s are stand alone stores , glad they are doing well bought stock in them fairly recently and it’s doing well . 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Amazon had this cool thing briefly, when we had the Camry. You could purchase your tires (w/installation included) on Amazon. And then go to the Sears Auto Center and they would be there, ready for installation and balancing. Bill said it was cheaper than other places. We were only able to use it one time. 😊

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here.  We bought all appliances, except current fridge, from Sears outlet.   I miss them and K-Mart.  I Hate Wal-mart

Remember Venture?

10 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

He is not improving. Therapist came today and did some stuff but he just can’t get moving.  He hasn’t been able to get upstairs to bed so sleeping downstairs has not been great.  I think they sent him home too soon.

Thinking of you both Marrietta and sending prayers 🙏 and good wishes for Charlie's health.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sgmn said:

Direct BA flights is 12 hours, Emirates via DXB is 8 hrs each segment plus 2 hrs layover in DXB.  Currently in Grand Copthorne in SIN at day room rate,  extremely nice room/hotel. Flight is 9pm tonight. Will have a swim, maybe a walk along the  Riverside, rest, late lunch shower and get taxi to airport around 6pm.

Looks like you had front row for that video.  Safe travels home.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Thanks 1

@DaniDanielle

So sorry for you and Charlie, Marietta.

As if the transplant, your mom untimely death, your daughter losing her husband and all the other Charlie's health setbacks were not enough...

It seems that "someone upstairs" is constantly challenging the strongest people, and you have been chosen 😢 Best wishes for health and take care 😘

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

Interesting. That segment of Silk Road reminds me a lot of The Book on Odyssey. I wonder if RCI just created variations of basically the same show on the Q class ships.

You have a long trip to get home. Safe travels.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I keep hearing on local news about noro virus rapidly spreading in the tri-state area.   We have had 4 people out sick this week.  I definitely don't want to be sick before or on our cruise leaving Sunday.

Enjoy the anticipation! One of these days I might try a cruise out of NJ.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Anybody have an opinion in TCL TV's? I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this - a TCL QM8 65 inch 4K with mini-led QLED Smart (is there any other kind? ) TV

https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/home-theater/qm8-class/65-class-4k-mini-led-qled-hdr-google-tv-65qm850g

3 of 4 Samsung TV's I've had all died a premature death within 3 years of purchase. The 4th one is going on 10 years now & is showing its age, large patches of pixels not longer seem to work correctly or not work at all giving the image a "blotchy" look. 

Since I've had bad luck with Samsung and Sony is just too expensive, I'm not considering either brand. My main TV is an LG which I love & I was pretty certain I was going to buy another LG until I read the  reviews of the TCL QM8 from professionals & users. Everybody seems blown away by the quality of the picture. 

In terms of technology, the mini-LED QLED is the newest tech, known for it's brightness. Picture quality wise, it's a small step down from OLED TV's which is considered the best but those work better in darker rooms (so I'm told) & since this TV is going into a very bright, sun-filled room, mini-LED QLED seems the way to go.

TCL lists the price $1,699 which must be Royal math as Best Buy has it for $1,399 on sale for $999.  Still a bit more than I wanted - I was looking in the $700-$800 range -  but since it's being compared to the picture quality of Sony & Samsung's that are twice the price, it seems like too good of a deal to pass on.

I welcome any and all thoughts, opinions, critiques and off-topic comments. 🙂

EDIT: And when I say I'm about to pull the trigger, I mean by Sunday. That's when the sale ends.

I have an LG for our main TV. I can't remember how old it is now and I have never regretted the purchase. My advise is, after reading reviews and getting an idea of what you want to buy, go to Best Buy and spend some time watching the TVs. Just like with audio, what sounds and looks good to one person does not necessarily sound and look good to someone else. 

The other thing I like about Best Buy is that with their closed circuit tech, you can compare exactly the same picture on the various TVs. Once you have made your decision you can check pricing on various sites. I really like B &H Photo in Manhattan. I have bought several pieces of electronics from them  including my LG TV as their pricing was better than Best Buy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Did you know that at one time you could buy a house from Sears? I don't remember where I read it now but as I recall it, they had several models to choose from.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@DaniDanielle

It seems that "someone upstairs" is constantly challenging the strongest people, and you have been chosen 😢 Best wishes for health and take care 😘

However, in all fairness, that "someone upstairs" did provide the Grey Goose to help get through the challenges.😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Did you know that at one time you could buy a house from Sears? I don't remember where I read it now but as I recall it, they had several models to choose from.

I recall hearing about it and just googled.   

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/a20859/sears-sold-70000-homes-from-their-catalog-are-you-living-in-one/

• Like 4