Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

It's on the expensive side for the US. California is on the high side.  Other cruisers from different states will chime in.

I got gas yesterday afternoon from Costco that is cheaper than the $6 I saw while on the road.

$4.579 at Costco gas

20230806_170843.thumb.jpg.0de4fab87bc4f07fcd7876fedebeee6b.jpg

20230806_171124.thumb.jpg.5981ea798f7e8883d8902ef30b9eb367.jpg

Here in southeastern PA most stations charge $3.95 for regular 87 octane.    We just had a 25 cent increase about 2 weeks ago.    No idea why!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Is this where Royal sails out of in Los Angeles? We will be sailing for the first time out of LA next year. That does not look very good.

I vaguely remember you mentioning the Panama Canal to Tampa ? Yes ? San Pedro is the port where my husband received great service with assistance with embarkation due to his knee.  San Diego and Holland America on the other hand was just awful.  

I’m going to a Georgia O’Keefe exhibition tomorrow with a friend.  She has just returned from NYC and I can’t believe my artist friend didn’t visit the Met Museum.  We’ll probably see some great photography from her husband Stieglitz .

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 4

If you're tired of the craziness of social media and just want something fun, try following Buitengebeiden on Twitter.  It's just posts of animals doing cute/funny stuff.  I saw this post today, which many of you cat owners may appreciate:

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1688096129253081088

Hopefully you don't need a Twitter account to see the post.  Here is his main Twitter page if you want to see more:

Edit: Sorry...thought this was just going to be a link to a web page.  Oops.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Keksie said:

Second baby squirrel season is in full force.

There is a 2nd baby season for squirrels?? I guess that would explain why a squirrel is trying to build a nest on the inside portion of the roof over my deck. It's an rustic open air deck - no screens or windows - so while wildlife can pass thru, they seldom stay. Like never.

Next question: How do I discourage a squirrel from building a nest on the inside portion of the roof over my deck? Plenty of big, beautiful trees nearby.  I've already removed it once  but she started rebuilding it the next day.

And Leonard sitting in the window, staring at her & licking his lips has not discouraged her. I guess she received the memo that he's no longer allowed outside. 😄

2 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

If I lived closer I would volunteer instantly! When we fostered squirrel they had to be fed every two hours.

52 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So would I.

I might have a squirrel for you.  I don't have any against squirrels but I do not wish to share my breakfast & dinner space with them.  I'm selfish that way.  The way I see it, I have this tiny little  15x12 deck to myself while they have the entire rest of the earth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

There is a 2nd baby season for squirrels?? I guess that would explain why a squirrel is trying to build a nest on the inside portion of the roof over my deck. It's an rustic open air deck - no screens or windows - so while wildlife can pass thru, they seldom stay. Like never.

Next question: How do I discourage a squirrel from building a nest on the inside portion of the roof over my deck? Plenty of big, beautiful trees nearby.  I've already removed it once  but she started rebuilding it the next day.

And Leonard sitting in the window, staring at her & licking his lips has not discouraged her. I guess she received the memo that he's no longer allowed outside. 😄

I might have a squirrel for you.  I don't have any against squirrels but I do not wish to share my breakfast & dinner space with them.  I'm selfish that way.  The way I see it, Imight try  have this tiny little  15x12 deck to myself while they have the entire rest of the earth.

You might try some Irish spring soap in that location.  There is also a spray at tractor supply that will discourage them.  It.is called "repels all". There is a granular one and a spray.  

• Thanks 1

I finished my shift at 6.  Volunteers are supposed to work 4 hours.  I was there 9.  We got more squirrels in and an itty bitty raccoon.  The lady who would normally foster the smallest ones is away for 3 months which doesn't help.  It also doesn't help that our current crop of interns make me wonder about the future of mankind.  Sigh.  Yes there is a second squirrel season here but not a second opossum season thankfully.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Keksie said:

You might try some Irish spring soap in that location.  There is also a spray at tractor supply that will discourage them.  It.is called "repels all". There is a granular one and a spray.  

Thanks. I'll give the soap a try.  I was sitting outside on the deck earlier today and three times she bounded up the stair case with a mouth full of grass clippings, weeds, twigs & other nest building materials.  The first 2 times she was startled, not expecting to see me & turned around and ran back down the stairs towards the nice spacious strip of woods in my backyard.  The 3rd time she strutted right past me & up the post to continue building her nest.

I get no respect. *** said in Rodney Dangerfield voice ***

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Thanks. I'll give the soap a try.  I was sitting outside on the deck earlier today and three times she bounded up the stair case with a mouth full of grass clippings, weeds, twigs & other nest building materials.  The first 2 times she was startled, not expecting to see me & turned around and ran back down the stairs towards the nice spacious strip of woods in my backyard.  The 3rd time she strutted right past me & up the post to continue building her nest.

She may feel that your porch is extra safe from predators especially if there are hawks around.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Such a shame that mommy squirrel has to do it all on her own.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Why don't you just give her a break. It will be over in a few weeks and could be really cool to watch. It isn't easy trying to raise kids.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Keksie said:

She may feel that your porch is extra safe from predators especially if there are hawks around.

There are hawks, turkey vultures, etc.  Funny thing is, in the 29 years I've owed this house, it was never an issue.

If it was only temporary I wouldn't care so much.  I just don't want her to get too comfortable and decide to find a way into the attic. I already see claw marks on the inside part the decks roof near where the nest is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

There are hawks, turkey vultures, etc.  Funny thing is, in the 29 years I've owed this house, it was never an issue.

If it was only temporary I wouldn't care so much.  I just don't want her to get too comfortable and decide to find a way into the attic. I already see claw marks on the inside part the decks roof near where the nest is.

Go watch Below Deck and get your mind off the squirrel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I understand you definitely don't want them in the attic.  As a last resort is there a way to block the area with some metal mesh?  Squirrels can be pests and chew into things.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Such a shame that mommy squirrel has to do it all on her own.  

There could be a daddy squirrel nearby, I guess. Or maybe  he's the nest builder.

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why don't you just give her a break. It will be over in a few weeks and could be really cool to watch. It isn't easy trying to raise kids.

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Go watch Below Deck and get your mind off the squirrel.

I'm just gently trying to encourage her to find more suitable living arrangements.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I understand you definitely don't want them in the attic.  As a last resort is there a way to block the area with some metal mesh?  Squirrels can be pests and chew into things.

That's what I was thinking, putting up some mesh/screening material to block access to the "hollow" areas. But I'm also lazy so I'll try the Irish Soap first & see what happens.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That's what I was thinking, putting up some mesh/screening material to block access to the "hollow" areas. But I'm also lazy so I'll try the Irish Soap first & see what happens.

This makes me sad.