What to do if no more cruising??

AndyMichelle

Just now, Adawn47 said:

Our first flight was a BAC111 with two engines at the back.  We were seated at the back as well and it gave Frank a shocking headache. 

Avril 

Did it have seats facing backwards?

I seem to remember them,they climbed steeply after take off.

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You've got me curious now.

Tell us about Malcolm

Come on Andy.  You can't just tell us half a story. We've just been talking about being nosy.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You've got me curious now.

Tell us about Malcolm

We met Malcolm at Muster... We were seated but we saw Malcolm guiding his wife by the arm looking for a seat so I stood and Michelle budged up... 

He then bragged about how pretending his wife was disabled worked every time!!! 

We then got chapter and verse of his cruising history, there was nothing he didn't know or hadn't done and was extremely loud... 

Despite our best efforts, we managed to bump into him constantly. 

He was so obnoxious, he could have been a comedy character, almost unbelievable... 

Fortunately we didn't have to share a table with him for dinner... 

Andy 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Did it have seats facing backwards?

I seem to remember them,they climbed steeply after take off.

Not that I recall but it certainly climbed steeply. We were nearly horizontal 😆. Quite scary for a first flight. 1972 or73 I think it was.

Avril 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

We met Malcolm at Muster... We were seated but we saw Malcolm guiding his wife by the arm looking for a seat so I stood and Michelle budged up... 

We then got chapter and verse of his cruising history, there was nothing he didn't know or hadn't done and was extremely loud... 

He was so obnoxious, he could have been a comedy character, almost unbelievable... 

Andy 

On RC in the loyalty lounge we got lumbered with someone like him and his wife one night.

They ran a guest house and he was proud of the hand bags he bought for himself.

We spent a couple of days trying to avoid him but he was like Mr Ben.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

After all these years, I remember you from that day and every other time we bumped into each other😇😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Unfortunately we seem to have had Malcolm clones at dinner every night on our last cruise. Forced us to ask for a table for two for the last 4 or 5 nights.  

Next time we meet similar people, we'll call them Malcolm in your honour, Andy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Not that I recall but it certainly climbed steeply. We were nearly horizontal 😆. Quite scary for a first flight. 1972 or73 I think it was.

Avril 

I think the front half of seats faced backwards and the back half of seats faced forward.

Very disturbing takeoff angle.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

On RC in the loyalty lounge we got lumbered with someone like him and his wife one night.

They ran a guest house and he was proud of the hand bags he bought for himself.

We spent a couple of days trying to avoid him but he was like Mr Ben.

As you all will know, a certain cruise line's loyalty scheme is called the crown and anchor society. One obnoxious fellow dinner from across the pond took great pleasure in pointing out his C&A diamond+lapel pin. Flashing the label of my dinner suit got the reply, gee how do you get a C&A tux. My DW replied, best to pop in when they have a sale on. He shut up about his pin from then on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our first ever flight was from Exeter to Jersey in 1987 we were in Jersey when the infamous hurricane happened with a sea view in St Brelades. The plane if my memory served me right only accommodated 30-40 people and when we flew over Torbay at 5000 ft the Captain said what a lovely view to the right but do you mind all not looking at same time in case the plane tips. The stewardess came around with 3 or 4 newspapers and told us to read them very quickly as it was a short flight and then pass them around. We were sat on front row and the stewardess came and said excuse me and leaned across us and slid a panel across and gave the Captain an orange juice in a plastic cup.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As you all will know, a certain cruise line's loyalty scheme is called the crown and anchor society. One obnoxious fellow dinner from across the pond took great pleasure in pointing out his C&A diamond+lapel pin. Flashing the label of my dinner suit got the reply, gee how do you get a C&A tux. My DW replied, best to pop in when they have a sale on. He shut up about his pin from then on.

Oh excellent.. 

My first suit was C&A and my latest jacket, bought in the sale in Hamburg at New Year... 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Our first ever flight was from Exeter to Jersey in 1987 we were in Jersey when the infamous hurricane happened with a sea view in St Brelades. The plane if my memory served me right only accommodated 30-40 people and when we flew over Torbay at 5000 ft the Captain said what a lovely view to the right but do you mind all not looking at same time in case the plane tips. The stewardess came around with 3 or 4 newspapers and told us to read them very quickly as it was a short flight and then pass them around. We were sat on front row and the stewardess came and said excuse me and leaned across us and slid a panel across and gave the Captain an orange juice in a plastic cup.

We were asked on a Flybe dash 8 plane which was half full to all sit near the back of the plane to help the planes stability.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh excellent.. 

My first suit was C&A and my latest jacket, bought in the sale in Hamburg at New Year... 

Andy 

I have upgraded now. I just need to find a cruise company with an M&S society.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I would love to tour Southern Ireland and perhaps visit again Jersey as we havent been there for a number of years.

We need to go to Jersey, Michelle has  family connections that she would like to explore. 

Her Great Nan started the famous flower festival, but I believe it has stopped now. 

Andy 

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

We need to go to Jersey, Michelle has  family connections that she would like to explore. 

Her Great Nan started the famous flower festival, but I believe it has stopped now. 

Andy 

No the Battle of Flowers still happens in August of every year.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I remember flying on Dan Air(dare) years ago.

I also remember a Spanair MD80 with the 2 engines at the back.We were next to 1 engine that kept misfiring.🙈😵

We also remember both air lines, in fact I think we flew back from Tenerife on Dan Air only a few days before it went bust, and breathed a sigh of relief that it hadn't happened any earlier.

• Like 1

About 20 years ago we traveled on a small plane from Lands End to the Isles of Scilly. Each passenger had to be weighed before boarding the plane to decide where everyone would sit. The final couple to get on the scales were somewhat large! We were then told that if all the booked passengers wished to travel on the flight luggage could not be transported until the following day. The couple then volunteered to postpone their journey instead! 

• Like 2