Has anyone had a 3rd Party Travel Ins Co Payup for Covid-19

susantx3

My insurance company refuses to pay up for cancelled travel due to virus but they did refund my premium payment after I asked for it!! So that will cover one plane ticket that the airline refuses to refund!!

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

gmjc2;  what airline refuses to refund or give you e-credit?

Hi! Our flight is with a European airline so are not subject to US rules unfortunately. They are also not on the " covered " list for our insurance carrier to cover if they go bankrupt.

They are offering Future Flight Credits if WE cancel but although the website says they will refund if THEY cancel, our flight is Tuesday and we have not received any notification yet. We want our money back as they were already having financial problems and we seriously doubt that they will be in business by the time we travel again.

33 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Hi! Our flight is with a European airline so are not subject to US rules unfortunately. They are also not on the " covered " list for our insurance carrier to cover if they go bankrupt.

They are offering Future Flight Credits if WE cancel but although the website says they will refund if THEY cancel, our flight is Tuesday and we have not received any notification yet. We want our money back as they were already having financial problems and we seriously doubt that they will be in business by the time we travel again.

Oh that is too sad.   Hope things work out for you

I had a choice with my cancelled cruise. As long as I hadn’t made a claim I could either get a refund, transfer the policy to new dates,or take a policy voucher to use within 2 years. Since I was able to reschedule the trip with no financial loss I moved the policy.

There’s a pretty extensive Covid-19 FAQ on my insurer’s (Travel Insured through USAA) home page. It explains what is covered and what is not. I was happy with the outcome, but I wasn’t out any money. It was an expensive trip/policy, and I would have been upset to have to purchase new insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Which insurance company is paying out for pandemic related cancellations.??

The  iTravel Insured Travel LX policy  posted by ARandomTraveler seems to be the best bet;  Paying like a slot machine, no excuses.  If you check their website they are going all in by claiming that they will cover any and all Cornavirus Claims  in the past, present  and future. 

1 hour ago, franktown said:

When looking for cruise insurance 2 weeks ago was told by 3 different companies that pandemics were not covered.  

You might want to call  iTravel Insured and get information on the Travel LX policy

2 minutes ago, susantx3 said:

The  iTravel Insured Travel LX policy  posted by ARandomTraveler seems to be the best bet;  Paying like a slot machine, no excuses.  If you check their website they are going all in by claiming that they will cover any and all Cornavirus Claims  in the past, present  and future. 

Wow! Way to go! We will check into them for the future! Thanks.

7 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Wow! Way to go! We will check into them for the future! Thanks.

The Board is great.  Mods, Really seem to let you go like a free range chicken.  I needed a med vac policy and was able to get a great lead on a company that not only took the money but also did the work.  I thought I was out the money for my Panama Cruise, but someone in roll call gave my great advice.

I am checking out the financials on I Travel Insured, but it is pretty clear that have put their competition in the dust, now can they pay for it.

It is impossible to know everything, so I am hoping someone sharp can determine if this company is legit. 

Edited by susantx3

Just spent 1 and half hours on the website and telephone with our European airline. I started out cancelling my husbands ticket and being given Future Flight credit plus 20 % if I used it within a year.I then tried mine and it did not work online so went to the phone. The agent informed me that as our flight had been cancelled I could have the full cash refund! I informed her that we had not been notified of the cancellation so had taken the credit for cancelling ourselves. She looked up our account and the cancellation e.mail was supposedly sent on march 27th!!  She gave me the full refund but said she had no way of changing my husbands claim now. ! So I have my refund but he will still have to use the Future Flight credit!!  Unbelievable!!! now we have to hope they are still in business when and if we can use the ticket in the future...

Still waiting for the cruise to be cancelled so we can get that money back!!

5 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Just spent 1 and half hours on the website and telephone with our European airline. I started out cancelling my husbands ticket and being given Future Flight credit plus 20 % if I used it within a year.I then tried mine and it did not work online so went to the phone. The agent informed me that as our flight had been cancelled I could have the full cash refund! I informed her that we had not been notified of the cancellation so had taken the credit for cancelling ourselves. She looked up our account and the cancellation e.mail was supposedly sent on march 27th!!  She gave me the full refund but said she had no way of changing my husbands claim now. ! So I have my refund but he will still have to use the Future Flight credit!!  Unbelievable!!! now we have to hope they are still in business when and if we can use the ticket in the future...

Still waiting for the cruise to be cancelled so we can get that money back!!

Or he may just have to travel without you...

But I know things will work out, for sure...

bon voyage

2 hours ago, jerryd1 said:

No, it covers flights on any airline to, from or within the USA.

Sorry it does not apply to any but US airlines as we have come across this before. Aer Lingus would not pay us  because the European airlines have a loop hole. If the cancellation/delay is caused by something beyond their control they are not liable.

24 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Sorry it does not apply to any but US airlines as we have come across this before. Aer Lingus would not pay us  because the European airlines have a loop hole. If the cancellation/delay is caused by something beyond their control they are not liable.

I suggest that you look at https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-issues-enforcement-notice-clarifying-air-carrier-refund and file a complaint with the DOT if your air carrier does not comply.

In part, it says " The U.S. Department of Transportation today issued an Enforcement Notice clarifying, in the context of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency, that U.S. and foreign airlines remain obligated to provide a prompt refund to passengers for flights to, within, or from the United States when the carrier cancels the passenger’s scheduled flight or makes a significant schedule change and the passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier.  The obligation of airlines to provide refunds, including the ticket price and any optional fee charged for services a passenger is unable to use, does not cease when the flight disruptions are outside of the carrier’s control (e.g., a result of government restrictions)".

• Thanks 1

One of the reasons I only book US airlines;  mainly Delta; is because of any type of delays, cancellations I can make changes, and being able to pick the seat I want.  Can't always do that on Foreign carriers. 

Edited by AF-1