Now for something completely different

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Have you been to the National Sheep Dog Championships at Hall, ACT held in March?  It is now on my to do list. 

I love sheep dog trials, but I guess it’s no secret I love pretty much anything dog related. Went to the Nationals many years ago but not for probably 30+ years.

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I love sheep dog trials, but I guess it’s no secret I love pretty much anything dog related. Went to the Nationals many years ago but not for probably 30+ years.

Is it true 3 were found guilty?

Sorry.

19 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The sheep dog trials at lunchtime at Brisbane Ekka were our favourite event at the Ekka.  Now it is just a shadow of its former self - more a show event, rather than a competition of skill by the dog and owner.  

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Here is an old merc, doesn't  use any fuel any more.

images.jpeg.jpg

Even if the car is complete and the engine not seized I doubt that particular model would justify the cost of restoration. Perhaps a restoration company might buy the whole car for the parts which may be interchangeable with other models.

It's interesting how, little abbreviations to you guys a "Caddy" is a model of van, here it is short for Cadillac; to you "Merc" is short for Mercedes, for us that is short for Mercury (a sub brand from Ford that was ended in 2010 after 70 years). I'm guessing that as Mercury fades here that perhaps "Merc" short for Mercedes will catch on.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Even if the car is complete and the engine not seized I doubt that particular model would justify the cost of restoration. Perhaps a restoration company might buy the whole car for the parts which may be interchangeable with other models.

It's interesting how, little abbreviations to you guys a "Caddy" is a model of van, here it is short for Cadillac; to you "Merc" is short for Mercedes, for us that is short for Mercury (a sub brand from Ford that was ended in 2010 after 70 years). I'm guessing that as Mercury fades here that perhaps "Merc" short for Mercedes will catch on.

The little van isn’t an abbreviation it is the model name, a Volkswagen Caddy. Merc is also used for Mercury outboard boat engines here.

not many words Aussies won’t abbreviate a few you are almost certain to hear

Arvo - Afternoon

Brekky - Breakfast

Servo - Service / Gas Station

Maccas - McDonalds

Woolies - Woolworths (grocery store)

The list can go on for days but those are almost certain to be heard and can cause some people confusion.

Many years ago we became friendly with the CD on a Celebrity Cruise, she was from Canada, and asked “I have been asked to meet someone at Somewhere called Maccas for a quick tea before he shows me some sights, will they sell coffee or only tea”. We had to explain he was asking her to have dinner at a McDonalds (must have been a real romantic like me if he was trying to crack on) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

When it comes to language we can get quite lazy. Even a BMW is shortened to a BM.

BMW here is "Bimmer" and we do use Brekky here but not arvo, servos are little motors that move things like in a remote controlled car or aeroplane. Woolies would be long underwear for winter (also referred to as Stanfield's after the iconic Canadian brand).

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

BMW here is "Bimmer" and we do use Brekky here but not arvo, servos are little motors that move things like in a remote controlled car or aeroplane. Woolies would be long underwear for winter (also referred to as Stanfield's after the iconic Canadian brand).

BMW, my son has a Beemer Convertible.   I rode a Bavarian Motor Works back then.

We do not call Service Stations or Petrol Stations..'Gas Stations' as they sell more than gas for BBQ cylinder.lol.  They sell petrol, snacks, news papers, bread, milk..etc. Like mini supermarkets many of them. My 16 year old grandson works Saturdays at  Moruya Liberty Servo,  it owned by Indians, fantastic curries they make for takeaway.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yeah we have always called them Beemers, even when we owned a couple. I really doubt there is much slang here that will cause you troubles and if so if you ask nicely “sorry I’m just a crazy Canadian, can you help with what you mean” will go a long way.

if you were an Aussie you;d probably get called Ly, we shorten names too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

BMW, my son has a Beemer Convertible.   I rode a Bavarian Motor Works back then.

We do not call Service Stations or Petrol Stations..'Gas Stations' as they sell more than gas for BBQ cylinder.lol.  They sell petrol, snacks, news papers, bread, milk..etc. Like mini supermarkets many of them. My 16 year old grandson works Saturdays at  Moruya Liberty Servo,  it owned by Indians, fantastic curries they make for takeaway.

I've heard BMWs (2 wheeled versions) called Bavarian Murder Weapons.😄

I've never owned or ridden one.

We have Yammies (Yamahas) and Kwakkas (Kawasakis) both are terms I hate.

I ride Yamahas and Hondas, mostly. I have a few old 1960 Colledas which were what Suzukis were called before they were called Suzukis. The Colledas were unique in that they were the first mass production bike to come fitted with dual coupled, proportioned front and back, hydraulic brakes operated by the foot brake, as standard.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah we have always called them Beemers, even when we owned a couple. I really doubt there is much slang here that will cause you troubles and if so if you ask nicely “sorry I’m just a crazy Canadian, can you help with what you mean” will go a long way.

if you were an Aussie you;d probably get called Ly, we shorten names too.

Or 'Chippy.' Lyle is a Cabinet Maker is he not, aka half baked Carpenter, lol.

25 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I've heard BMWs (2 wheeled versions) called Bavarian Murder Weapons.😄

I've never owned or ridden one.

We have Yammies (Yamahas) and Kwakkas (Kawasakis) both are terms I hate.

I ride Yamahas and Hondas, mostly. I have a few old 1960 Colledas which were what Suzukis were called before they were called Suzukis. The Colledas were unique in that they were the first mass production bike to come fitted with dual coupled, proportioned front and back, hydraulic brakes operated by the foot brake, as standard.

Rode the Trumpies (Triumph).  Beezas (BSA) Susie Q's (Suzuki) Kwakkas, yes, Hondas, now what did we call them? Back then?

Circa 1969 we had the Suzuki T500 and Triumph Daytona, did you come across those iron horses? 

By crikey, this thread is certainly something 'different' lol.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

Rode the Trumpies (Triumph).  Beezas (BSA) Susie Q's (Suzuki) Kwakkas, yes, Hondas, now what did we call them? Back then?

Always Hondas - you met the nicest people on them.😄 Unless their bike was white and their uniform blue.😱

My wife and I were pulled up many a time for the ubiquitous licence check.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

Always Hondas - you met the nicest people on them.😄 Unless their bike was white and their uniform blue.😱

My wife and I were pulled up many a time for the ubiquitous licence check.

Could have been me, lol. The NSWP Honda 750/4's were black, they were circa 1972-75. Great machine, electric start and all.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Or 'Chippy.' Lyle is a Cabinet Maker is he not, aka half baked Carpenter, lol.

I'm not sure to tell the truth, as a "Journeyman Joiner" which is our official term for a certified cabinet maker. We are quite particular about pointing out we are NOT carpenters.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure to tell the truth, as a "Journeyman Joiner" which is our official term for a certified cabinet maker. We are quite particular about pointing out we are NOT carpenters.

Not even a carpenter with his 'brains bashed out? lol. Sorry Lyle I jest.  You are a Master Joiner of some repute. My late father in law was a Foreman Fitter Machinist with the Railways, he often referred to bad Fitters as 'Boiler Makers with their brains bashed out.' lol. More Aussie vernacular for thee.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

When it comes to language we can get quite lazy. Even a BMW is shortened to a BM.

I've never heard that one before. Mostly I've heard them called Bima ie adding vowels between the B & M to make them into a pronouncable word.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Could have been me, lol. The NSWP Honda 750/4's were black, they were circa 1972-75. Great machine, electric start and all.

I can't recall seeing black CB750s. I have a mate restoring an ex police bike, it's white DOHC CB750 and came from SA. As it happens I have a NOS Honda police speedo in my garage somewhere. I had thought of fitting it to my 76 CB750F1 but I think I'll give it to my mate.

I almost bought a T500 but already had enough bikes at the time. My wife had a little 76 Suzuki T200 which really went like the clappers if gave it the berries (as the poms would say). Her last bike was a Kawasaki GPX250 which was another great little machine but she had to give up riding after two back surgeries. HP now have FJR1300s - beautiful machines.

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I can't recall seeing black CB750s. I have a mate restoring an ex police bike, it's white DOHC CB750 and came from SA. As it happens I have a NOS Honda police speedo in my garage somewhere. I had thought of fitting it to my 76 CB750F1 but I think I'll give it to my mate.

I almost bought a T500 but already had enough bikes at the time. My wife had a little 76 Suzuki T200 which really went like the clappers if gave it the berries (as the poms would say). Her last bike was a Kawasaki GPX250 which was another great little machine but she had to give up riding after two back surgeries. HP now have FJR1300s - beautiful machines.

Yes SAPOL and VICPOL had white m/cycles, NSW had mainly black, the Trumpies, Hondas, Kwakas were black. But the BMW's were white, probably only manufactured in white. I remember the T500, they screamed, they were irredescent blue, flash.

Just now, NSWP said:

Yes SAPOL and VICPOL had white m/cycles, NSW had mainly black, the Trumpies, Hondas, Kwakas were black. But the BMW's were white, probably only manufactured in white. I remember the T500, they screamed, they were irredescent blue, flash.

The Suzy Waterbottle was/is a great bike. Bringing big money nowadays, the SOHC  CB750s even more so.