Now for something completely different

20 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well we have officially pulled the plug on Down Under 2.0 it had become much too stressful wondering if it would be a go.

We have booked a 10 day New York to Quebec City in Caribbean Princess cabin C510 port side so we will be facing the land and the sunsets. Now I get to go back and cancel everything again and worse than that we will miss meeting people we had come to think of as friends. Perhaps we will try again in a couple years, probably after retirement.

20 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well we have officially pulled the plug on Down Under 2.0 it had become much too stressful wondering if it would be a go.

We have booked a 10 day New York to Quebec City in Caribbean Princess cabin C510 port side so we will be facing the land and the sunsets. Now I get to go back and cancel everything again and worse than that we will miss meeting people we had come to think of as friends. Perhaps we will try again in a couple years, probably after retirement.

Sad to hear that Lyle, But you are still young, wait a couple of years and try again. We did that East coast cruise you have booked, we did it on Aurora from Southampton in 2016. Have to mail you a 🥧.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Sad to hear that Lyle, But you are still young, wait a couple of years and try again. We did that East coast cruise you have booked, we did it on Aurora from Southampton in 2016. Have to mail you a 🥧.

Thanks Les, somehow I I don't think the pie would travel well by mail 🤔. I'm hoping to get into Glenwood meats tomorrow and see if I can get a few of their excellent pies, and bacon, perhaps some steaks. It will depend on the line up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Les, somehow I I don't think the pie would travel well by mail 🤔. I'm hoping to get into Glenwood meats tomorrow and see if I can get a few of their excellent pies, and bacon, perhaps some steaks. It will depend on the line up.

Good luck with it all Lyle, sorry you will miss out on this as well, some of us might not be around if and when you come out this way in a few years, for many of us are dinosaurs.

donegans.jpg.97f7ffb9cf101e4d1e5212129e6d91ea.jpg

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Good luck with it all Lyle, sorry you will miss out on this as well, some of us might not be around if and when you come out this way in a few years, for many of us are dinosaurs.

donegans.jpg.97f7ffb9cf101e4d1e5212129e6d91ea.jpg

That you may have gone to be with your beloved Les has crossed my mind. That being said you are rough and tough and hard to bluff so we will carry on assuming that you will continue to be living large in Bateman's Bay.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

No idea if any of these are near Lyle, but I have been told they’re not bad

https://www.realdealpies.com/where-to-buy/

Funny thing I was in the store listed just the other day, I wasn't looking for pies though. We pass by there from time to time, I'll have a look and report back. We have seen some pies while out and about and thought they looked interesting, let's say the pricing was ambitious.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Funny thing I was in the store listed just the other day, I wasn't looking for pies though. We pass by there from time to time, I'll have a look and report back. We have seen some pies while out and about and thought they looked interesting, let's say the pricing was ambitious.

Pie thread hijack alert...The real deal from Canada, lol

timthumb.jpg

ground-beef-meat-pies_550x825.jpg

Edited by NSWP

On 5/21/2021 at 11:49 AM, Blackduck59 said:

I think you've made a wise decision. Actually leaving the Down Under trip until after your retirement will give you much more flexibility. I must admit I had some concerns about the Australian land travel you had planned, I think you were cramming too much in to a short time and might find it rather gruelling, as well as not really giving you enough time to enjoy the areas you were travelling though. Wait until the borders are open and life is back to whatever version of normal it can get to then replan. We'll all probably still be here.

Your Caribbean Princess cruise sounds lovely. I'd love to cruise up that way but by the time we get through all this we may not be up to doing the long-haul flights anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

I’m sure you’ll be around for a few years yet Les. We plan to visit ‘the Bay’ on a regular basis & now have a contact that has offered us use of their holiday home down there 😁 I am now planning on retiring in early 2022 & spending time local travel - don’t know we will have much cruising 😳 

Take care mate

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No idea if any of these are near Lyle, but I have been told they’re not bad

https://www.realdealpies.com/where-to-buy/

We went to the store that handles these pies They are in the frozen case and they must be popular because they seemed to have 4 of the varieties and one was sold out. We got 2 steak and mushroom, 2 pepper steak and 2 chicken curry. I will report on the pie thread when we have given them a try.

It was a great day, after finding the "Ozzie style" pies on the tip from Mr. Gut (Thank You) we went to our favourite Thai Restaurant. It had been closed for some time, the last time we were there they were doing take out but letting us eat on the patio. There was a big change today, we called in our order expecting to take away and picnic at a local view point. We arrived to find that the patio was now open for table service with actual plates and cutlery. As soon as we walked in the host recognized us and suspected it was our phone order. He offered us our pick of tables on the patio and viola, bright sunny day and table service (what more could we ask for?). 

• Like 7

Blues on Broadbeach Festival was on this weekend for 4 days.  We went on Sunday, when we saw Jarrad Shaw (Vic), Blue Shaddy (WA), Ray Beagle (Syd), CW Stoneking (Vic) and Christine Anu.  All the artists were pleased to be performing outdoors.  This annual festival is free.

Bluesfest is selling tickets to the rescheduled Bluesfest in Oct (4 days).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Blues on Broadbeach Festival was on this weekend for 4 days.  We went on Sunday, when we saw Jarrad Shaw (Vic), Blue Shaddy (WA), Ray Beagle (Syd), CW Stoneking (Vic) and Christine Anu.  All the artists were pleased to be performing outdoors.  This annual festival is free.

Bluesfest is selling tickets to the rescheduled Bluesfest in Oct (4 days).

You are a raver, lol.

Well it was a rather hopeful day today. Our Premier along with our Chief Medical Officer (Dr. Bonnie Henry) announced a 4 step reopening plan. Step one started today, the "circuit breaker" closures were allowed to expire. That means restaurants are allowed to re-open their dining rooms at the same limited capacity as before. There are a series of target dates and goals to reach where more things will open. If all goes to "plan" we should be at substantial reopening by 07 Sep 2021. We are nearing 65% of those 18+ with at least one dose and I know there are second doses being administered as well. They have set goals and rewards for reaching them. Meanwhile I'm looking forward to B52 Breakfast on Saturday.

• Like 2

That sounds very positive.

Our Prime Minister gave up on vaccination goals. 

Given the uncertainties, Scott Morrison said the government would no longer be setting targets for the delivery of the vaccines.

"The government has also not set, nor has any plans to set any new targets for completing first doses," he said in a statement.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

That sounds very positive.

Our Prime Minister gave up on vaccination goals. 

Given the uncertainties, Scott Morrison said the government would no longer be setting targets for the delivery of the vaccines.

"The government has also not set, nor has any plans to set any new targets for completing first doses," he said in a statement.

Thank you for the information, further comment by me would not be helpful.

I thought I would throw this out here. We had news today, Dr. Henry announced we are pulling back our interval between first and second doses to 8 weeks. The other thing was looking at using Pfizer for the second dose after a Moderna first dose because we are having problems with the Moderna supply availability. They are also looking into the Astra Zeneca situation with reference to second doses, we have suspended first doses of that vaccine to insure we have supply for second doses for those who had that for first dose. I think they are investigating the possibility of a mix and match situation.

I truly hope the supply chain issues you are having will ease soon and the leadership can get the vaccine in peoples arms in a timely fashion.

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have seen comments in various articles saying that mixing the vaccines is effective. Maybe you guys can test it out for us.😋

If it works great. I think all countries around the world should be using every tool in the box to get this done. I also hope that there are smart people working on understanding what causes the VERY rare blood clot problems with the Astra Zeneca vaccine. Is there some common thread that makes some people more susceptible?

Speaking of vaccinations.

Read this article today, about when we may be vaccinated and then subsequently borders can open. not great at all looking at the slow roll out.

As June approaches, the nation stands poised to pass the government’s 4-million-dose milestone — two months later than originally planned. 

The vaccination rate has climbed to a record 535,000 doses a week.

At this pace, Australia can expect to reach the 40 million doses needed to fully vaccinate the adult population in September 2022.

• Like 2

Speaking of second shots. Lynn's second shot appointment link came in the email tonight, she will be able to book her second dose through the link so it won't be long for her.  My first dose was 3 weeks ago so I have 5 weeks at least oh well.