Princess and Cunard cancel all sailings until 1 July

mickrory

2 minutes ago, otbc said:

I can't see this? I can only see on Cunard's site 15 May, same as P&O?

It's not on their social media outlets either. They'll cancel another chunk of cruises at some stage but it's reasonable to assume they'll work in step with P&O rather than Carnival's US brands.

Have just read that the Commissioner for the EU has said that people should not book holidays for 2020 as they see all European borders being closed until 30th October. Not a surprise, but it leaves most cruise lines with nowhere to go.

We've already booked for August 2021 (land holiday in Italy) and are wondering if things will have settled by then. We also have a cruise booked for April 2021 on Azura. Only time will tell we suppose.

30 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have just read that the Commissioner for the EU has said that people should not book holidays for 2020 as they see all European borders being closed until 30th October. Not a surprise, but it leaves most cruise lines with nowhere to go.

We've already booked for August 2021 (land holiday in Italy) and are wondering if things will have settled by then. We also have a cruise booked for April 2021 on Azura. Only time will tell we suppose.

That's not quite what she said. She said people should not make travel plans at the moment as the situation is still developing. Very sensible given that everything is changing day by day. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pennbank said:

Cunard appear to have now cancelled  bookable cruises up to August.

Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 19.02.31.png

That table suggests to me that Cunard are not taking bookings to the end of July rather than them having cancelled bookings until that date??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That's not quite what she said. She said people should not make travel plans at the moment as the situation is still developing. Very sensible given that everything is changing day by day. 

I suppose it all depends on which news outlet you get your information from ;-)

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That is very true 😉

At the minute I seem to be reading / viewing 4 different sites to see which slant they have on things. Now these seem to fall in to the following categories:

A) The gloomy

B) The very gloomy (and lets find the worst news item we can to frighten everyone even more)

C) The gloomy / very gloomy, but don't panic there is some light at the end of the tunnel

D) Ok - let's panic

I think I need to look at holidays in the UK for August and keep my fingers crossed …..

• Like 3

Just now, Presto2 said:

At the minute I seem to be reading / viewing 4 different sites to see which slant they have on things. Now these seem to fall in to the following categories:

A) The gloomy

B) The very gloomy (and lets find the worst news item we can to frighten everyone even more)

C) The gloomy / very gloomy, but don't panic there is some light at the end of the tunnel

D) Ok - let's panic

I think I need to look at holidays in the UK for August and keep my fingers crossed …..

I know what you mean. So much info and opinion floating around. And we mustn't forget that journalists want a headline that grabs your attention. If you bring social media into it, the picture is even more confusing. I tend to be an optimistic person and try and look for a more balanced news slant. That's not easy to find though. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I know what you mean. So much info and opinion floating around. And we mustn't forget that journalists want a headline that grabs your attention. If you bring social media into it, the picture is even more confusing. I tend to be an optimistic person and try and look for a more balanced news slant. That's not easy to find though. 

It's only now I am taking more notice of the news etc that I realise how easy it is to twist the same story. 

It saddens me that political point scoring seems to control everything. 

I really want to stay positive, but am struggling... 

Andy 

• Like 1

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

It's only now I am taking more notice of the news etc that I realise how easy it is to twist the same story. 

It saddens me that political point scoring seems to control everything. 

I really want to stay positive, but am struggling... 

Andy 

You're not wrong. I've tried to limit my exposure to news as I had it on non stop at one point. Its amazing how you can sit and listen to the press conference and then see others put their on twist on it. It's really difficult to be positive sometimes, I agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

A) The gloomy

D) Ok - let's panic

We are kind of hoping for a few days away in mid/late summer, but with the pent up damand and kids not at school, can you imagine the prices. A week in the south west will probably cost more than a cruise.

• Like 3

Just now, zap99 said:

We are kind of hoping for a few days away in mid/late summer, but with the pent up damand and kids not at school, can you imagine the prices. A week in the south west will probably cost more than a cruise.

We're checking them out now expecting to have to cancel the cruise, so with a deposit of only £100 for 2 weeks in a really nice caravan in Cornwall it looks pretty good. ! Not sure when we have to pay in full by though but they are offering free change of plans up to 7 days before you go !!

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

We're checking them out now expecting to have to cancel the cruise, so with a deposit of only £100 for 2 weeks in a really nice caravan in Cornwall it looks pretty good. ! Not sure when we have to pay in full by though but they are offering free change of plans up to 7 days before you go !!

That sounds hopeful. We are on Iona at the end of August😁 so a week before that may work out ok.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

That sounds hopeful. We are on Iona at the end of August😁 so a week before that may work out ok.

Don't have to pay in full until the middle of July so this land holiday may beckon after some more research.

Perhaps we can start another thread called Caravan Critic just for 12 months ;-)

11 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Don't have to pay in full until the middle of July so this land holiday may beckon after some more research.

Perhaps we can start another thread called Caravan Critic just for 12 months 😉

Thanks for that. Cheered me up no end. I won't clean up the portable BBQ just yet though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pennbank said:

Just a play on words,  🙄

I just wondered whether although Cunard (or P and O )know that the cruises won t go ahead up until the end of July if they officially said they had cancelled them even more people would start claiming refunds when they haven t had time to deal with the back log they already have?

I apologise for being vague but I read an article the other day telling people not to worry if their cruise has disappeared from sale. This does not mean it is cancelled just they are reducing the numbers on ships for when they do start again. 

• Like 1