CDC & RCL restrictions

Okay - quick question.

I know that the CDC put certain restrictions for cruising and RCL added more on top of that (things like diabetes, etc).

Once the sailings start again, do you think they will relax those restrictions.

I currently have a cruise booked in July (we will see if that happens). Either way I will want to cruise again.

The issue - I am a Type 1 diabetic - have been for 36 years. And I am healthy as a horse - no complications from the disease at all (just ask my doctor).

Can they stop me from going on the ship?

Thanks.

• Like 1

We are interested in this as well. My husband is also T1 and well managed. I would say "how would they know?" (if you are under 70) but I wouldn't dare lie about that on a questionnaire in case of something like a lost checker/pump or bad insulin. We are active (zip lining, scuba,...) and have had bad luck in the past with equipment so wouldn't want to take any risks there. I do think we will be allowed back on in the ships in the future, just don't know when.

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

However, once ships start sailing again, I don't think the guidelines will still be in affect.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  While I don't know what everything will look like, I would be shocked if there's not some sort of guidelines or at least enhanced questionnaire/screening.  Hopefully some of the restrictions that were implemented can be relaxed, but it's just too early to tell.  Going forward, getting onboard will likely never be as easy as it was before.

OP, as others have mentioned, they can if the policy remains in place.  Best advice is keep an eye on all updated policies/procedures and just be prepared that things could possibly remain the same for awhile.  For your sake, I do hope you get to sail again soon!

14 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Who knows what restrictions/rules will be in place once cruising resumes. 

In my opinion 

Absolutely! But I thought the whole point of many of these boards was to discuss and speculate 🙂I for one am missing planning vacations so this is the next best thing for me 😛 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yes. A whole bunch of that goes on here. I “speculate” it will continue but adds no factual information. 

In my opinion 

And then there are factual postings that CC members refute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HxFx said:

Absolutely! But I thought the whole point of many of these boards was to discuss and speculate 🙂I for one am missing planning vacations so this is the next best thing for me 😛 

Aren't you tired of the same speculation over and over? It's the same questions and same speculations and nothing new. I'm ready for the tipping and dress code threads again. Those can at least bring some entertainment. 🍹

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Aren't you tired of the same speculation over and over? It's the same questions and same speculations and nothing new. I'm ready for the tipping and dress code threads again. Those can at least bring some entertainment. 🍹

Here you go. Do you think we will have to wear paper gowns, latex gloves and face masks in the MDR even on formal night?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yes, I agree, sometimes it gets boring but I have to admit I love planning (even if it's over and over again 🙂 ) I like the threads you mentioned too! Haven't seen much activity in those 😞 

2 hours ago, HxFx said:

We are interested in this as well. My husband is also T1 and well managed. I would say "how would they know?" (if you are under 70) but I wouldn't dare lie about that on a questionnaire in case of something like a lost checker/pump or bad insulin. We are active (zip lining, scuba,...) and have had bad luck in the past with equipment so wouldn't want to take any risks there. I do think we will be allowed back on in the ships in the future, just don't know when.

All I know is if these medical rules stay in effect, that will be the end of cruising. Young or Old you can find something wrong with most people. The only people who will be clear are the ones who never go to a doctor. I was diagnosed with hypertension at the age of 38 during an annual physical. Had covid shown up then I would have been banded. Many wait until something goes wrong before they find out their health conditions.

• Like 2

Since cruise ships frequently port in the US, and RCL prides itself on “Accessible Cruising”, and already has procedures for handling medical waste like sharps.I wonder how the “Americans With Disabilities Act” (ADA) will play into this new paradigm?

My European friends tell me that the EU has a similar law, although there are significant differences, especially with respect to “grandfathered” facilities? I guess they mean older historic structures, which that wouldn’t apply.in this case. Or maybe it would, at least for the older ships?

Maybe the industry could come up with a pre-cruise medical testing requirement? Just like pre-operative certification procedures, required in the US before you have surgery. Every passenger might have to submit an EKG, bloodwork, chest x-ray, and a note from your doc saying you’re fit. If you’re over fifty, maybe a stress test too, after all you could potentially have a chance of a heart attack occurring on the cruise, right?

Yeah, I’m just kidding, but it does remind of how the TSA went crazy after 9/11, and start confiscating everything. Even fingernail clippers, a very nasty weapon indeed!

Seriously though, we all need to get ready for another completely reactive and disproportionate response to the threat. Sad, but probably true.

Edited by ldambra
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Who knows what restrictions/rules will be in place once cruising resumes. 

In my opinion 

This is by far and away the  very best answer on this entire thread.

Having said that, you asked what we think....  I would bet on that there would be quite a few rules enacted that are close to what is already proposed. You will need to wait until cruising even starts to see what rules RCL enacts.

In my humble, non-professional and ignorant opinion, Diabetes is definitely one of those precursors it seems to those who may contract Corona Virus. With the unimaginable amount of $$$$ and planning the cruise lines will need in order to contain an outbreak, and return cruisers home, having anyone with any type of precursor that is deemed to be related to contracting the virus easier than another human, I would think they'll keep those rules in place. There is absolutely no way in hell RCL or any other cruise line would want to (or can afford?) spending millions (probably tens of millions) of dollars to contain and evacuate a 3000-5000 person virus filled ship privately (no commercial flights etc), let alone deal with the stock market fall-out and the likely absolute media lynching.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Diabetes is definitely one of those precursors it seems to those who may contract Corona Virus. 

I wish they would provide more information. There is a big difference between Type 1 and Type 2. In general, Type 2 diabetics often have multiple health issues. Well maintained Type 1 diabetics can be otherwise perfectly healthy. It's possible this virus is quite bad for Type 1 but there hasn't been any qualifying data WRT diabetics that I have found.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I wish they would provide more information. There is a big difference between Type 1 and Type 2. In general, Type 2 diabetics often have multiple health issues. Well maintained Type 1 diabetics can be otherwise perfectly healthy. It's possible this virus is quite bad for Type 1 but there hasn't been any qualifying data WRT diabetics that I have found.

I understand you.... it's just like the 71 year old, perfectly healthy never been sick with anything needing a doctor note to cruise that their doctor won't sign vs. the 69 year old that can cruise but with various medical ailments that are supposedly not precursors.

Who knows? Nobody yet. I'm just trying to think like a CEO of a corporation... knowingly allowing someone on board who is susceptible to the virus, and then the ship gets quarantined... this pretty much means the end of my job as CEO, likely criminal cases, the cruise line will be massacred publicly, etc etc etc.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

Depends upon the time period.

Right now, aside from treatment and a vaccine which can take months, they are working towards a "Instant" test to see if you are a carrier.

They are putting one out now that can test you in 5-15 minutes. They just demonstrated it on Fox News.

They want to develop one that you can use at home....something as quick as a home pregnancy test.

Imagine, going out for dinner, a concert/play, getting on an airline or....getting on a cruise ship and being tested before they let you thru the door. A lot better than taking your temperature.

If they can test EVERYONE, so quickly and simply, those tested positive are quarantined. Not the whole country.

And catching those who are carriers, having them treated, will kill the virus as the rest of the world goes about their normal business.

I know I am getting a little off track, but look for it if you're cruising in 2021.

Won't matter what your age is or what underlying conditions you have as long as everyone is screened as the Virus Carriers and weeded out before they get on the ship.

This is how the country is going to get back on track....quarantine the carriers, not the entire population.

Edited by B-52
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, HxFx said:

It’s my understanding, from the little bit of data that trickles my way, COVID19 cause the blood/sugar to skyrocket. The ability of the body to deal with is the problem. 

In only my opinion 

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s my understanding, from the little bit of data that trickles my way, COVID19 cause the blood/sugar to skyrocket. The ability of the body to deal with is the problem. 

In only my opinion 

I could see that. Most illnesses, in general, raise a Type 1 diabetic's blood sugar (could be same for Type 2 as well but I don't have any experience with that). 

Edited by HxFx

17 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I don’t understand where you get insulin dependent diabetes (Type 1) is better than type 2?

Explain?

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t understand where you get insulin dependent diabetes (Type 1) is better than type 2?

Explain?

I wouldn't say it's better, just different. Oftentimes, not always - don't want to insult anyone, Type 2 manifests from someone that hasn't taken care of themselves - usually from a bad diet resulting in obesity due to very poor insulin sensitivity. Typically a metabolic syndrome. Type 1 diabetics have an auto-immune disease that causes the body to attack the pancreas and the Type 1 can no longer produce insulin on their own. I've read a lot of reports that say obesity and related illnesses have not done well when getting the virus. On the other hand, Type 1 is an auto-immune disease (but is often well maintained in those that take care). There can certainly be crossover, but is it the auto-immune disease or the metabolic disease that is the bigger concern as it relates to diabetes and the virus? I'm probably not explaining this well but I think it would take much longer explaining! I only know this because I am married to a Type 1 diabetic.

Edited by HxFx