Will the buffet disappear with new changes ?

20 hours ago, lakelorain said:

I'd like to see Purell or wipes on each table so you can clean your hands again before you start to eat.

Right now I would like to see purell, clorox wipes, bleach, lysol and plain old soap in the supermarket. I can't imagine what the germaphobes who wipe down the walls and every other surface on a good day will do when they can't get a hold of wipes to bring on board. As a matter of fact I can't imagine the anxiety they are feeling now even at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope no more buffet.  At least not the way it normally is.   Cafeteria style is fine.  No need for self serve its nasty anyway.   Everyone thinks "it's my kids vacation too!"  Then dirty kid hands on everything, picking stuff up and putting it back down.  I don't use buffet for anything except breakfast. 

• Like 2

Some of the other cruise lines (HAL for example) do have servers at the buffet, so each person asks for what they want, and the server serves it.  I actually like that system, and it wouldn't be too hard for other cruise lines to duplicate.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

wonder what the Disney parks will come up with that can help the cruise industry?  Even though the parks have more space to maneuver, they have to deal with crowds in restaurants, close seating on rides and long lines waiting to ride. 

Well, since you asked 🙂

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/rumor-disney-planning-for-walt-disney-world-to-remain-closed-for-the-rest-of-2020/

Most of the newsletters have their own theories. Here’s my 2 cents worth lol

Iger has come back out of quasi retirement to steer Disney thru this mess.  They are losing $30 million a day.  Those of us that own stock left out a tiny sigh of relief  Although they have secured huge lines of credit, there is a limit to how much a corporation can hemmorage.

In all likelihood, the US parks will follow the same methodology as the Asian ones when they re-opened:  open shopping areas & resorts first with plenty of masks & thermometer readings.  Part of it is ‘the show’, same as security is set up now to enter the parks, etc.  It’s designed to put people’s fears at ease when they see prominent intervention.  People need to perceive it’s ‘safe’ before they will return.  I’m not sure how the cruise lines will be able to sell that to the general public at this point.

in the parks, guessing there will be very few standby attractions.  They are going to want to control the crowds.  Expect only guests staying onsite will be allowed into the parks initially.  Those will be wearing their magic bands, effective tracking system in itself.  They probably will limit standby boarding of attractions; going to combo of all fast pass or expansion of virtual queues that have been used at the Star Wars attraction since early December.  

I’m sitting on several complimentary Park Hopper tickets in response to how poorly that originally rolled out. It was quite frustrating to try to grab those limited slots even when they did get it together. Not sure how it will translate to attractions in the Magic Kingdom park, which will likely be the first park to open.  Even there, think they will slowly open sections of the park instead of it being wide open.

they are so big on buffets there, don’t think they’ll eliminate entirely, probably go to pre-plated family style meals ala their Garden Grill venue vs having cast members dispense offerings on the buffet.  I expect the same at the ship’s windjammer.  It’s it’s tuesday, it must be tacos sort of thing with one alternate option

DIsney, to help with social distancing, probably will temporarily dispense with cheek to cheek events such as shows, parades, fireworks, special festivals & seasonal parties.  Bus service will likely be the same as in most areas now, limited to X number of people per bus.  In my mind the ships need to not sail a full occupancy, probably wouldn’t happen anyway when they first start to sail again.

Right now disney world resorts are accepting reservations starting June 1st.  Many of us are thinking after the 4th of July rush is more realistic.  I have a reservation there via my DVC timeshare starting August 10th and prepaid tixs in hand for their first Halloween party that week.  It was supposed to follow a quick sail on the Mariner with our GD.  Have until end of May to figure that mess out.  Don’t really want to be the ‘test track dummies’ when the cruising industry fires back up.  

We are still waiting for our refund from RCCL Harmony for our March cruise. Every day longer that we wait has us inching away from cruising, period.  One excuse after the other, I’m done calling them.  Will do a chargeback on our CC.  There is no excuse for the delay, all of the other travel providers have come thru for us:   SWA extended our travel funds to September, 2022,  time share broker has given us a non-expiring credit toward future travel at the Wyndham Bonnett Creek & even Hotwire refunded the days we booked thru them pre cruise at a Disney hotel.  

Edited by keishashadow
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The decision to shut down buffet style restaurants Souplantation / Sweet Tomatoes permanently would seem to be an indicator that the buffet concept will also disappear from the Windjammer. 

https://people.com/food/souplantation-announces-closing-all-restaurants-permanently-coronavirus-pandemic/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article

As the decision was based partially on previous FDA recommendations, it would seem that the CDC would follow with it's Vessel Sanitation Program along a similar line. While the CDC's aim is currently focused on gastrointestinal (GI) illnesses, with COVID-19 prevention of respiratory illnesses could be added to this program. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/default.htm

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 5:14 PM, keishashadow said:

Well, since you asked 🙂

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/rumor-disney-planning-for-walt-disney-world-to-remain-closed-for-the-rest-of-2020/

Most of the newsletters have their own theories. Here’s my 2 cents worth lol

Iger has come back out of quasi retirement to steer Disney thru this mess.  They are losing $30 million a day.  Those of us that own stock left out a tiny sigh of relief  Although they have secured huge lines of credit, there is a limit to how much a corporation can hemmorage.

In all likelihood, the US parks will follow the same methodology as the Asian ones when they re-opened:  open shopping areas & resorts first with plenty of masks & thermometer readings.  Part of it is ‘the show’, same as security is set up now to enter the parks, etc.  It’s designed to put people’s fears at ease when they see prominent intervention.  People need to perceive it’s ‘safe’ before they will return.  I’m not sure how the cruise lines will be able to sell that to the general public at this point.

in the parks, guessing there will be very few standby attractions.  They are going to want to control the crowds.  Expect only guests staying onsite will be allowed into the parks initially.  Those will be wearing their magic bands, effective tracking system in itself.  They probably will limit standby boarding of attractions; going to combo of all fast pass or expansion of virtual queues that have been used at the Star Wars attraction since early December.  

I’m sitting on several complimentary Park Hopper tickets in response to how poorly that originally rolled out. It was quite frustrating to try to grab those limited slots even when they did get it together. Not sure how it will translate to attractions in the Magic Kingdom park, which will likely be the first park to open.  Even there, think they will slowly open sections of the park instead of it being wide open.

they are so big on buffets there, don’t think they’ll eliminate entirely, probably go to pre-plated family style meals ala their Garden Grill venue vs having cast members dispense offerings on the buffet.  I expect the same at the ship’s windjammer.  It’s it’s tuesday, it must be tacos sort of thing with one alternate option

DIsney, to help with social distancing, probably will temporarily dispense with cheek to cheek events such as shows, parades, fireworks, special festivals & seasonal parties.  Bus service will likely be the same as in most areas now, limited to X number of people per bus.  In my mind the ships need to not sail a full occupancy, probably wouldn’t happen anyway when they first start to sail again.

Right now disney world resorts are accepting reservations starting June 1st.  Many of us are thinking after the 4th of July rush is more realistic.  I have a reservation there via my DVC timeshare starting August 10th and prepaid tixs in hand for their first Halloween party that week.  It was supposed to follow a quick sail on the Mariner with our GD.  Have until end of May to figure that mess out.  Don’t really want to be the ‘test track dummies’ when the cruising industry fires back up.  

We are still waiting for our refund from RCCL Harmony for our March cruise. Every day longer that we wait has us inching away from cruising, period.  One excuse after the other, I’m done calling them.  Will do a chargeback on our CC.  There is no excuse for the delay, all of the other travel providers have come thru for us:   SWA extended our travel funds to September, 2022,  time share broker has given us a non-expiring credit toward future travel at the Wyndham Bonnett Creek & even Hotwire refunded the days we booked thru them pre cruise at a Disney hotel.  

We had final payment due March 6th.  I had to make a decision of 2K FCC or pay it off and wait for cancellation.  I chose the second.  Since I had just made the final payment, I was able to do a chargeback and received my money within two weeks.  I thought I would have to wait for the other 2K  deposit, but that was back on my credit card at the same time.  The only thing I have not received back yet is my picture package and drink packages.  But that is a drop in the bucket to the 7K I had hanging out there.  I can be patient with that.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:10 PM, MacNChz said:

Some of the other cruise lines (HAL for example) do have servers at the buffet, so each person asks for what they want, and the server serves it.  I actually like that system, and it wouldn't be too hard for other cruise lines to duplicate.

Its an excellent way to keep people from touching food. Its always a good way to limit the portion size. I'm always disgusted over the amount of some food people take and then throw out.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 1:36 PM, trey420 said:

I hope no more buffet.  At least not the way it normally is.   Cafeteria style is fine.  No need for self serve its nasty anyway.   Everyone thinks "it's my kids vacation too!"  Then dirty kid hands on everything, picking stuff up and putting it back down.  I don't use buffet for anything except breakfast. 

We never even do the buffet at breakfast, dining room only.  The only time we eat at the buffet is first day at lunch because there is no other option.  Cannot stand everyone's nasty unwashed hands all over the serving utensils, grosses me out. We typically stay away from the self serve ice cream and the lido drinks too.  Cafeteria style would work and have staff serve them onto your plate, way more sanitary.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:48 AM, Ocean Boy said:

And that is just one of several reasons why I'll never eat in the MDR again.

I feel with cruises within the last two years or so the dining time is less than that.  In fact some ships have adopted the route of serving the appetizer and salad together and seem to speed up the service of all courses.  With having to order dessert at the same time as the rest of items I've noticed dessert may arrive while one or more are still on main.

I think the self serve buffet will be gone when cruises return.  I just hope that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity come up with a system that works.

A few years ago I was on the Summit and they had staff serving the food.  It was the most frustating dining experience I've ever experienced on any vacation.  They didn't have enough staff so you'd have long waits.  They would not allow you to have everything on the same plate (so if you went to the Asian section, they would put that one on one plate; if you wanted a side of vegetables from another station that would go on another plate, etc.).  I asked why they did this and was told that each station had to use a clean plate and could not allow guests to hand them the plate.  So if you planned to get your entire meal at one station you were fine.  But the person that wanted a mix of items would have 3 or 4 different plates for one meal.  There were no trays so you'd either have to juggle multipe plates or make multiple trips to your table to drop stuff off (while hoping the wait staff doesn't clear it away thinking you're done - yes that happened to multiple passengers throughout the week).

I am all for the staff serving the food but hopefully they use some common sense when coming up with the system.

• Like 2