Regent No More

pappy1022

1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

C, didn't you read the small print?  Neither passengers nor crew are allowed to get off the ship during the cruise in order to avoid bringing disease back onboard the ship.

Marc

Although I believe that you are joking, some of us have no issue with taking a cruise to nowhere.  We simply want to get out of our homes and back to our Regent family, sitting on the balcony with a cocktail and watching the sea go by.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"NCLH stock up over 20% today...that is a pretty clear signal from Wall Street." That was a quote a couple of days ago in this message board. It's down more than 14% today, I guess that is another clear signal from Wall Street. My point is that we are on a wild ride as far as the stock market is concerned and we will have some ups and downs but it's going to be a roller coaster for awhile. On a day there is some good news, the market in general will go up and on bad news it will go down. It doesn't take a genius to see that the world economic systems have been turned on their heads and it will take a long, long time to stabilize and when it does, things will look a lot different than they did before COVID-19. That includes cruise lines. There is a long journey out of this mess. I do not have any stock in NCLH or any other cruise line.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Yes, pullback from a 5 week high. I am considering buying more. 

Good luck with it. It might be a good investment but I’m retired and not willing to take that risk. I guess I would be more inclined to invest in a company that pays me my salary. 

30 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Good luck with it. It might be a good investment but I’m retired and not willing to take that risk. I guess I would be more inclined to invest in a company that pays me my salary. 

I sold a business a few years back for a decent bit that allowed me to retire in my mid 30's. This new "job" allows me to write-off my extensive travel bills while only dealing with a few clients. How I am doing with that transparency today?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Isn’t a crossing rather like a cruise to nowhere? We have never been on one, but I have reviewed some itineraries. They don’t have many (if any) intermediate port calls.

Crossings always have a few port stops.  They are used to refuel, get supplies for the ships and for passengers to get off for a few hours.  Regent could likely have a crossing that stops only for fuel and supplies without allowing passengers off of the ship.  

I have been browsing around on other threads here, and it looks like the very same complaint is being voiced on every luxury cruise line ( I didn't look at the mass cruise lines).  How is Regent expected to outperform Crystal, Seabourne and Silver Seas?  I'm not asking this to be belligerent, and my refund will be pretty big because I had four named suites booked on Mariner so I do have a dog in the fight and it would hurt to lose the money.  I am simply curious.

6 minutes ago, Pam said:

I have been browsing around on other threads here, and it looks like the very same complaint is being voiced on every luxury cruise line ( I didn't look at the mass cruise lines).  How is Regent expected to outperform Crystal, Seabourne and Silver Seas?  I'm not asking this to be belligerent, and my refund will be pretty big because I had four named suites booked on Mariner so I do have a dog in the fight and it would hurt to lose the money.  I am simply curious.

I'm not saying this sarcastically (it is so difficult to know what a person is thinking when they post) but, why does Regent need to outperform other luxury cruise lines?  Are you asking just about their reaction to Covid-19 or in general?  In general, Regent differentiates itself from other luxury cruise lines with their inclusiveness (either people like it or don't).  

In terms of what is going on currently, I wonder if any luxury cruise line is differentiating itself.  This morning a poster that has been a bit negative about the time it is taking to receive refunds, apparently read another board and came back to this board stating that he won't complain anymore.

For us, we have four Regent cruise booked (one almost paid in full) in named suites (one of which is the most expensive cruise that we have booked to date) so we also have dog in the fight too.  When our cruise was cancelled, we took FCC's as it enabled us to book a cruise that was previously unaffordable.   If any of our booked cruises are cancelled by Regent, we will be forced to take a refund as we do not want to book as far out as 2022.

Let us know where you and your family end up going!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure who's posting that you are referring to but maybe it is one of mine, so I will respond. Multiple people made the argument that Regent is no worse in customer communications and timely refunds than any other luxury cruise line. My point was that this was an opportunity for Regent to up their game and be better than their direct competition in the luxury market. I understand that all cruise lines are trying to manage cash with all of the cancellations that they are dealing with because of COVID-19. It is truly a fight to stay alive as a business. My experience through this ordeal is that Regent has not been forthcoming when I would receive my refund. Multiple times different people have told my TA and me that the refund has been processed and I should see my money in a couple of days. It's now 6 weeks and I'm still waiting. Others have expressed the same issue. My friend who cancelled the same cruise with the same TA got his back in 2 days. As far as Regent inclusiveness, yes they have the most inclusive product in the market. It also comes with a big price tag. I think some of the included services add good value and other services don't. Some folks on this board are Regent loyalist and consider any less than glowing positive remarks about Regent as people being negative and unkind to Regent. I for one, love the onboard Regent experience but I also have been equally satisfied with other luxury cruises. 

• Like 4

While I did not make the statement (in fact, I have criticized Regent's Customer Service staff for years but believe that their communication has improved about 75%).  Given the fact that all cruise lines are bleeding money, I don't know how Regent can up their game any more than they have.  They are suffering as well (20% cut in pay, 20% layoffs, 4-day workweek, etc.). 

This is one time that even I won't complain about how they are doing.  Like many other posters, given the circumstances, I feel that Regent is doing quite a good job.  While it is interesting to learn what other luxury lines are doing, at this time, I do not feel that it is a competition.  Every company and person is doing the best that they can.  

• Haha 1

Jackie, if you were replying to my quoted post, I don't understand what you are asking/saying to me.  I was defending Regent, asking why they were supposed to outperform the other luxury lines in refund timing.  I wasn't doing it accusingly or belligerently, I was honestly curious as to why the expectations were higher for Regent.  If you took it in a different manner, that is on you; I have never been aggressive on these boards.

Editing, okay wait.  I said "how" in a different way than you interpreted it.  I should have said "why".

Edited by Pam
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

I'm not sure who's posting that you are referring to but maybe it is one of mine, so I will respond. Multiple people made the argument that Regent is no worse in customer communications and timely refunds than any other luxury cruise line. My point was that this was an opportunity for Regent to up their game and be better than their direct competition in the luxury market. I understand that all cruise lines are trying to manage cash with all of the cancellations that they are dealing with because of COVID-19. It is truly a fight to stay alive as a business. My experience through this ordeal is that Regent has not been forthcoming when I would receive my refund. Multiple times different people have told my TA and me that the refund has been processed and I should see my money in a couple of days. It's now 6 weeks and I'm still waiting. Others have expressed the same issue. My friend who cancelled the same cruise with the same TA got his back in 2 days. As far as Regent inclusiveness, yes they have the most inclusive product in the market. It also comes with a big price tag. I think some of the included services add good value and other services don't. Some folks on this board are Regent loyalist and consider any less than glowing positive remarks about Regent as people being negative and unkind to Regent. I for one, love the onboard Regent experience but I also have been equally satisfied with other luxu

Tranquilizers and a good gin martini. Again.

Edited by CBWIR
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Pam said:

Jackie, if you were replying to my quoted post, I don't understand what you are asking/saying to me.  I was defending Regent, asking why they were supposed to outperform the other luxury lines in refund timing.  I wasn't doing it accusingly or belligerently, I was honestly curious as to why the expectations were higher for Regent.  If you took it in a different manner, that is on you; I have never been aggressive on these boards.

Editing, okay wait.  I said "how" in a different way than you interpreted it.  I should have said "why".

LOL - it I amazing how often things can be misconstrued (innocently - like your post). Glad that we got that sorted out:-)

Well, back to the “cruise to nowhere” idea, I have just thought of why a crossing would not be the same. With a crossing, we would have to fly to (or back from) an overseas port, and this could be a problem for a while. But a “cruise to nowhere” could be like “Miami to Miami” or “LA to LA”. Much easier for all of us, and zero port fees. And only the diesel power needed to keep ship utilities going. Heck, that sounds good!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, back to the “cruise to nowhere” idea, I have just thought of why a crossing would not be the same. With a crossing, we would have to fly to (or back from) an overseas port, and this could be a problem for a while. But a “cruise to nowhere” could be like “Miami to Miami” or “LA to LA”. Much easier for all of us, and zero port fees. And only the diesel power needed to keep ship utilities going. Heck, that sounds good!

Depending upon the length of the cruise it would need to refuel and get additional supplies.   My hope would be Seattle to Seattle as we are very tired of going to Miami (do not mind Ft. Lauderdale but dislike Miami).  Los Angeles had the worse disembarkation that we have ever experienced and is the one place that we would not sail into or out of again.  Actually, New York would be good for us since we love the food there.

If Regent ever considered it, there could be both a west coast and east coast round-trip itinerary.  For those of you that prefer not to fly, your options will likely be limited.  Aren't there already several MIA-MIA itineraries?  Have you tried one of those?

We enjoy flying and hopefully will be flying home from Dubai in December and to New Zealand in January.  We enjoy eating, drinking, going to sleep on a comfortable flatbed seat, waking up in time for breakfast and landing.  This is an enjoyable part of our vacation!

• Like 2

"While it is interesting to learn what other luxury lines are doing, at this time, I do not feel that it is a competition."

Business is always a competition even in tough times. It doesn't have to be cut throat but competition is always present and if one is to survive you need to differentiate your product and service to be a leader. Personally, I think a company like Southwest is doing a great job with their communications, answering their calls quickly, giving consistent information and extending benefits to their customers during these difficult times. I also have future bookings with American and Delta  and their customer service is abysmal. I don't have any affiliation with Southwest or any airlines for that matter and I don't own any stock in any airline, so my perspective is purely from a customer service perspective. My personal experience with Regent during these COVID-19 times has not been stellar, particularly around their communication and misleading information that they have provided me and my TA.

• Like 2

On a more-pleasant 'remembrance of things past (Proust), and having enjoyed a gin and tonic after four hours' lawn work--

Doleblodger--

Our 25 years' cruising history (interspersed, and often-combined with Northern European, Far East, and African land excursions; and African safaris) has involved Crossing itineraries.  My definition of a crossing is any itinerary that involves a minimum of seven straight days at sea without a port call.  So-- 

Experienced these aboard Cunard, HAL, Crystal, Seabourn, and Regent.  South Atlantic; South Pacific; central Pacific.  West to East, and East to West.  All positive.  Tend to be fewer passengers, attended by full crew allotment.  Top service. 

Favorite of all-times was late '90s while aboard Seabourn's "Legend".  That was Tahiti to Puntarenas, Costa Rica.  Only ONE stop, which was at Nuku Hiva.  Look at a map.  Our TA advised Seabourn had never attempted this "repositioning/crossing" itinerary before.  Could be a bit-of-a-stretch given fuel/provisioning capacity.  But--we would be aboard with less than 100 passengers, attended by a full crew complement.  That was about 1/2 of normal passenger capacity.    

It was a great, positive adventure.  Want to dine with an Officer at dinner?  Hey, they extended the invitations.  Want a Bridge tour?  No problem.  The stop at Nuku Hiva was particularly notable.  (And, we reprised this about six years ago while on Regent's Voyager).  Saw the Chef and his attendants literally race off the ship to scoop-up every vegetable that could be commandeered from local vendors.  That came in handy, as later events confirmed.

In the interim--wife and I took horses for a memorable ride (accompanied by a truly-terrified Cruise Director with no previous riding experience) by narrow trail up the side of that island's volcano. The reason he accompanied us was that we were the only persons who signed-up for that "shore excursion".  Protocol required a Staff member accompany guests on any Hiva excursion.  Apparently, he drew the 'short-straw.  The night-before, while at dinner with us, he inquired if we were really serious about that tour.  Yes. No big deal for us, due to our previous riding experiences. 

All survived.  Returned to Legend for a wonderful dinner.

One vivid memory:  A week would go by not seeing any other vessel; looking up and not seeing any contrail in the sky.   The Pacific is, indeed, vast.  Just the ambience we sought.

Then, reality.  Literally, limped-in, at reduced speed while approaching Puntarenas.   Legend almost ran out of fuel.  Captain notified us that last morning landing would be delayed by about four hours.  Had to conserve fuel.  No tugs available to push us faster.  Over the preceding three days, "fresh" veggies had already run-out.  No big deal. The libations did not.  Folks disembarked in a positive mood.  

Once on land, busses were there to expeditiously transport folks to San Jose's airport (about a three-hour ride as I recall) for departure.  No issue for us, as we were taken to a 5+ hotel which was our home away from home for the next three days.  Another land tour followed.    

Just one experience which is nice to recall as we deal with the current situation. 

In a heartbeat, we would do a Regent cruise from somewhere to somewhere, or the same location. 

GOARMY!

• Like 5