Has the pandemic made you rethink how you cruise?

ilikeanswers

Has the pandemic made you rethink how you cruise?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Has the pandemic made you rethink how you cruise?

• Yes there are things I would do differently
    • No I will cruise exactly as I did pre COVID 19

Just now, Jasawyer said:

Feel free to do just that.... But for me and my family, we'll take freedom but we will wear our masks and keep 6' apart as best we can.

I personally would rather spend a week or two in Kemah than ever go on a cruise again.

3 minutes ago, Jasawyer said:

Feel free to do just that.... But for me and my family, we'll take freedom but we will wear our masks and keep 6' apart as best we can.

Well, I'm tickled pink that you're willing to do that. Many/most here are unwilling to wear masks on a cruise.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Len, of course, your situation is not so good - that's an understatement - but we're going to err on the side of caution.

The fact that I may never cruise again is not related to the pandemic as you are aware.

However,if I was a healthy person I could wait it out because I can see Cruising once again on the horizon.My original estimate was Feb.2021 but now my thinking is sometime in 2022 to be able to cruise without a mask and without social distancing.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The fact that I may never cruise again is not related to the pandemic as you are aware.

However,if I was a healthy person I could wait it out because I can see Cruising once again on the horizon.My original estimate was Feb.2021 but now my thinking is sometime in 2022 to be able to cruise without a mask and without social distancing.

We have an FCC with a Norwegian cruise line. It's good til June or July next year. I'm going to try to get that extended. If not we'll forfeit the credit. Money is far, far from the most important thing. Actually hardly on the list. Take care, Len.

1 minute ago, clo said:

We have an FCC with a Norwegian cruise line. It's good til June or July next year. I'm going to try to get that extended. If not we'll forfeit the credit. Money is far, far from the most important thing. Actually hardly on the list. Take care, Len.

When I first saw FCC on a thread my first thought was Federal Communications Commission.I could not imagine how that could be related to cruising.😀

1 hour ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

There are currently flights coming into New York from Italy or Seattle from China EVERY DAY, but taking a cruise is the danger. Right. 🙄

I certainly would not get on a plane right now unless I really needed to — and there is NO “need” to cruise, so comparing the activities is kind of pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I personally would rather spend a week or two in Kemah than ever go on a cruise again.

Oh my, you hit my soft spot.... Kemah is AWESOME... Thanks Tillman

1 hour ago, clo said:

Well, I'm tickled pink that you're willing to do that. Many/most here are unwilling to wear masks on a cruise.

Huh.  Or is it that many/most would not want to take a cruise that needed the wearing of a mask.  I would not take a cruise that required wearing of a mask.  It isn't about being unwilling to wear a mask.  It is about not enjoying a cruise that had that kind of exposure.   

27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Huh.  Or is it that many/most would not want to take a cruise that needed the wearing of a mask.  I would not take a cruise that required wearing of a mask.  It isn't about being unwilling to wear a mask.  It is about not enjoying a cruise that had that kind of exposure.   

How about a face shield? Maybe that would be more comfortable😜

46 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

How about a face shield? Maybe that would be more comfortable😜

Well, it's either that or keep your arse at home, so I will wear my face covering

On 4/29/2020 at 7:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

The head of the WHO is predicting a stronger strain of Covid-19 for the Fall and Winter.

These past few days I have been reaching out to “lost friends” all over the US.Every one of these people normally cruise a lot.Everyone said they may never cruise again. A friend of mine who posts on CC normally does back to back to back cruises.He too has reservations about ever cruising again.

If that happens life will never return to normal and cruising and all.other forms of foreign holiday will be no more. As well as most industries jobs pubs food outlets sport and everything else we have all enjoyed.

Might as well all give up now.

Or maybe the world says stuff this and just carries on regardless.

• Like 1

To answer the question I will change nothing. Why should I? I already wash my hands regularly and take care in rest rooms etc.

Very patronising the way some seem to think its ego. 

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Very patronising the way some seem to think its ego. 

Sorry if it came across as patronising, it wasn't my intention😳. I was just reading about how some people would travel with more medications in case of quarantines or that they would never book an inside cabin again and it made me curious if other people were re thinking their habits because of COVID19 and its repercussions. No judgement honestly just curiosity🤗

12 hours ago, clo said:

I'm not flying now either. But IMO there's a huge difference between, say, a ten hour intl. flight with a few hundred pax and a ten DAY cruise with a few thousand.

But are those flights bringing in carriers of the virus? They are not being treated like lepers by the CDC like US citizens who are crew on cruise ships.

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

If that happens life will never return to normal and cruising and all.other forms of foreign holiday will be no more. As well as most industries jobs pubs food outlets sport and everything else we have all enjoyed.

Predicting things will get worse is a very good way to keep your budget increasing. And if it gets better instead everyone is happy and will forget those dire predictions.

Aside from the health-related quality of the cruise experience in the near future, people (and the cruise industry) should anticipate tremendous economic impact.

Even if there is no second round of COVID 19 and a vaccine is developed and widely distributed,  it will take some time for things to return to “normal” (assuming anyone  really thinks mass market cruising was really normal).

The economic  effect of the pandemic will take some time to dissipate.  Many potential future cruisers  have dipped into their reserves  - and are likely be more frugal in future vacation planning.  All levels of government are experiencing massive deficits from  taking on costly health initiatives, massive unemployment claims paired with plummeting tax revenues.   The Federal government has incurred unprecedented expenditures in direct health-related costs as well as massive public assistance programs - along with  plummeting tax revenues.

At the same time as cruise fares will necessarily rise to simply cover whatever new health measures get implemented the discretionary income (available for spending on cruises) will go down.   

Anyone fortunate to have not lost income or wealth reserves is sure to see significant tax increases as all levels of government try to get anywhere near balancing budgets.  It may be that we are able to avoid a deep and prolonged recession - but that can only be at the cost of massive government expenditures —- bringing about the sort of tax increases seen in the 1930’s.

Many of those now willing to laugh off possible health concerns impacting their future cruises may need to check their wallets.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

It's about time we got back to the effective tax rates of the '30s, '40s, and '50s.

You may very well be right — but  that would surely cut into the ability of many of those who now can afford to cruise to continue to do so. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I cannot give up on anything because I discovered last night that one of TV networks that I watch is showing every episode and every movie of Monty Python.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot give up on anything because I discovered last night that one of TV networks that I watch is showing every episode and every movie of Monty Python.

And suddenly life is worth it again 

• Like 1

I will be less likely to sail out of ports I have to fly to. I won’t go to the crowded parties on the ship. I won’t go to shows unless I can sit away from others. I’ll take the stairs. I’ll disinfect the cabin and wash hands more. I already stay away from the lido deck so I don’t have to start doing that.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 7:27 PM, clo said:

WOW! Great thought. It's got to be something. If I catch this 'bug' I sure as hell don't want to be trapped at sea for weeks, looking for a port that will allow us. So, yeah, what is this "big push for some"? Well asked.

I don't think that we have to worry about being trapped at sea for weeks because no port will allow the ship to dock.

When the cruises start again, I'm sure that they must have a plan where they shall dock if they have an outbreak on the ship. In the beginning of the pandemi lots of places had no infected but now when it's spread it's more likely to find a place to dock.