Alaska itineraries!

Despite 2-3 cruises cancelled due to coronavirus, I'm anxious to plan for the future.  Looking at Alaska in Summer 2021.  RC has so many ships & itineraries there, it's crazy!  I'm looking at Ovation vs Quantum right now.  I know the ships are basically identical, and I haven't been on either but I have been on Anthem which is another sister.  But the itineraries are also very similar except for slight differences.  This is where I'd love some advice.  Both are round-trip Seattle:

OVATION:

D1 Seattle

D2 Day at Sea

D3 Alaska Inside Passage / Juneau (12pm-9pm)

D4 Skagway (7-8:30)

D5 Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier

D6 Day at Sea

D7 Victoria (8am-6pm)

D8 Seattle

QUANTUM:

D1 Seattle

D2 Day at Sea

D3 Ketchikan (7am-5pm)

D4 Icy Strait Point (10am-7pm)

D5 Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier / Juneau (1:30pm-10pm)

D6 Day at Sea

D7 Victoria (5:30pm-11pm)

D8 Seattle

I think I'm leaning toward Ovation because I have heard good things about the Inside Passage and Skagway.  I think my biggest interest on this trip is sightseeing/glaciers/whales/wildlife, etc., and not necessarily ports.  But I don't know how big a loss Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point would be?  Don't know much about them.  I would appreciate comments/opinions/information from any BTDT (or better researched) folks!   Btw, we are a family of 4 with 2 kids who will be 10 years old next summer, in case that impacts your advice.  

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

Edited by ennjay

We're booked on Ovation for summer 21.  I haven't done Alaska since 2007 but the inside passage is phenomenal. I've never been to Ketchikan so I'm no help there but Skagway was my favorite port back in 07

• Like 1

These ships are too big for Alaska.  Why can’t they just keep them for larger body of water and larger ports.  The eco system is just being ruined by these behemoths.  The ports themselves are too small.  If RCCL wants to do an Alaskan cruise then bring back the brilliance as you have windows to look out from wherever you are not a floating mall where you have to run outside once the captain states a eagle has been spotted LOL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

James4me is correct. Also, pay attention to the routing. These large ships don't sail the inside passage but stay out in the pacific except to get into port. And they can't do Glacier Bay.

Ovation does the inside passage.

5 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Ovation does the inside passage.

Not really. Check the exact routing of the Serenade of the Seas and the big ships. The large ships are mainly out in the open pacific. The SOS does the inside passage between British Columbia and the islands.

Personally I’d go with the Quantum as she stops at Icy Strait Point.  For now that port has not become overrun with too many ships in port and the silly diamonds / tanzanite international stores.  I’d recommend sticking with the Radiance or Serenade.  They’re perfect for Alaska.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James4me said:

These ships are too big for Alaska.  Why can’t they just keep them for larger body of water and larger ports.  The eco system is just being ruined by these behemoths.  The ports themselves are too small.  If RCCL wants to do an Alaskan cruise then bring back the brilliance as you have windows to look out from wherever you are not a floating mall where you have to run outside once the captain states a eagle has been spotted LOL.

RCL does have smaller ship's doing Alaska- Radiance and Serenade and they have better itineraries as well.

I have done both type and each have their own experience. Big ship is really sailing a big ship and turnaround half way. One of the stop is in Victoria. They sail so far from shore that there is nothing to see. The Radiance and Serenade sail one way to Seward or vice versa and you need to return on you own. But for the itinerary, Skagway is a real town but commercialized while Icy Strait Point is a made cruise port while you can walk or shuttle into a small village. There is a forum on Alaska with load of information on each port. 

I suggest you spend time reading about Alaska on the AK port of call board.  There are VERY helpful people there that can give you lots of good information.  Alaska is a very different kind of cruise.  There are many questions you need to ask yourself and they will inform your itinerary.  I wish I had spent more time researching before I planned my trip.  I would have done more DIY for the land portion of our trip.  

For example--How long do you have for your vacation?  If only 1 week then a roundtrip is all you have time for.  But, that will give you the least flavor of Alaska.  If you can manage even 9-10 days take a 1-way trip and you will see much more.  The longer the trip the more experiences. [I know that is always true--but, even more so in AK]  The disadvantage is the longer and more expensive flight either to or from anchorage. [or Fairbanks]  etc.  JMHO

edit:  The ship and your cabin are the least important things in my opinion. . . . because in AK you spend so much of your time on the shore and in excursions.  

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, James4me said:

This is an uninformed post.

Quantum ships have more views than Radiance Class ships.

Radiance Class you cannot see from everywhere inside the ship whatsoever

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Not really. Check the exact routing of the Serenade of the Seas and the big ships. The large ships are mainly out in the open pacific. The SOS does the inside passage between British Columbia and the islands.

There are two Inside Passage's ... one is the BC inside passage, the other is the Alaskan Inside Passage.

All ships have to do the Alaskan Inside Passage just to get all the way up to Skagway

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ennjay said:

I think I'm leaning toward Ovation because I have heard good things about the Inside Passage and Skagway.  I think my biggest interest on this trip is sightseeing/glaciers/whales/wildlife, etc., and not necessarily ports.  But I don't know how big a loss Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point would be?  Don't know much about them.  I would appreciate comments/opinions/information from any BTDT (or better researched) folks!   Btw, we are a family of 4 with 2 kids who will be 10 years old next summer, in case that impacts your advice.  

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

What are your interests?

Are you outgoing and adventurous? Or are you sedate and just want to sit around within 1 block of the ship when in port?

Are your kids outgoing and adventurous? Or do they complain when being "forced" to go out and do things?

Do you have a (large) budget for excursions?

Are you doing this cruise to "see" and experience Alaska, or sail on a cruise ship?

Are your a tourist or a traveler? There's a big difference.

Answers to the above will really assist me in helping you with hopefully a helpful answer 🙂

12 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I don't know... My itinerary says I'm doing the inside passage and I'm don't know how you can sail out in the Pacific and claim to be doing the inside passage.  I guess I'll see...

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 8.53.21 AM.png

6 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

RCL does have smaller ship's doing Alaska- Radiance and Serenade and they have better itineraries as well.

I think with two 10 year olds Ovation or Quantum might offer a little more for the kids

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I don't know... My itinerary says I'm doing the inside passage and I'm don't know how you can sail out in the Pacific and claim to be doing the inside passage.  I guess I'll see...

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 8.53.21 AM.png

It does do inside passage when traveling Northbound, on the return it stays outside in the Pacific.

Be aware though probably alot of the inside passage is over night and early morning that 2nd and 3rd day.

Edited by Jimbo

57 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It does do inside passage when traveling Northbound, on the return it stays outside in the Pacific.

I repeat...

There is two portions of the inside passage... one is an Alaska inside passage. Every single cruise ship needs to enter it in order to get to Ketchikan, Endicott Arm, Juneau and Skagway. There is also a British Columbia portion of the inside passage, that goes through the channel between mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island.

Quantum Class will always do the Alaskan inside passage, however they will never do the British Columbia inside passage.

(I've circled the British Columbia portion below)

05267757440f69a3087a03b84299bdc9.thumb.jpg.a6c99410937776dadbe2ba2b7b9b2471.jpg

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Be aware though probably alot of the inside passage is over night and early morning that 2nd and 3rd day.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm an early riser usually so that'll help.

11 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I repeat...

There is two portions of the inside passage... one is an Alaska inside passage. Every single cruise ship needs to enter it in order to get to Ketchikan, Endicott Arm, Juneau and Skagway. There is also a British Columbia portion of the inside passage, that goes through the channel between mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island.

Quantum Class will always do the Alaskan inside passage, however they will never do the British Columbia inside passage.

(I've circled the British Columbia portion below)

05267757440f69a3087a03b84299bdc9.thumb.jpg.a6c99410937776dadbe2ba2b7b9b2471.jpg

I'm not arguing just trying to understand.  If this is so, why does Ovation specifically say inside passage and Quantum doesn't if Quantum would need to pass through to get Juneau as well?

13 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm not arguing just trying to understand.  If this is so, why does Ovation specifically say inside passage and Quantum doesn't if Quantum would need to pass through to get Juneau as well?

RCI = Really Consistently Inconsistent

Scroll down to post 432 ... views of inside passage after leaving Skagway... great views from Solarium

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2661933-ovation-may-13-24-live-in-alaska-wlots-of-photos/page/18/

Post 510 a Twangster video going through inside passage into Endicott

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2661933-ovation-may-13-24-live-in-alaska-wlots-of-photos/page/21/

Edited by Hoopster95

Very interesting!  Thank you all.  I didn't know there were two "Inside Passages".... that makes sense.  

A little more about us: I initially had been looking at some other lines and smaller ships, but I think my kids will enjoy the Quantum class, and with 4 of us coming from the East Coast, I am interested in the cheaper flights to Seattle (with roundtrip itinerary).  Guess I will sacrifice Glacier Bay for those aspects.  We are not the most outdoorsy/athletic/adventurous (wouldn't choose adventure sports or long hikes as excursions, for instance), and don't want to spend a TON of money on excursions (but will likely spend some -- maybe with private providers if there are good recommendations; we usually prefer these to the big cruiseline bus tours which are outrageously expensive and usually disappointing), but are interested in doing *something* interesting in at least a few ports.  Kids are good, curious travellers (and we are well-travelled) -- but we are admittedly mostly culture/city-travel types and I get that this would be a different kind of trip.   That said, I am mostly interested in Alaska for the scenery/glacier viewing and wildlife.   I think the kids would like some of the kitschy "frontier/goldmining" type of stuff (less appealing to me, but...).  (And they'll definitely like the SeaPlex/big ship kind of stuff.  I kind of envision them going off and doing that kind of stuff, maybe kids club, etc., while we do "scenic cruising" on those days.)

Thanks, all!

Edited by ennjay
  • Like 1