Tipping

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm sure that a few would but it would dramatically cut down on it.  At least this way most UK/Euro cruisers who begrudge the US tipping culture wouldn't feel put upon quite so much.  

It wouldn't help with the 18% that rhey see added on to just abour everyrhing rhat they purchase, outside of  the retail shops, including bars which seems to also be an issue.

7 hours ago, mugtech said:

Could you quote his angry statement on this thread, please?  I'm not seeing it.  Perhaps you are filling the required tipping thread invitation for someone to not cruise if they don't like the tipping system.

Still trying to figure this out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

It wouldn't help with the 18% that rhey see added on to just abour everyrhing rhat they purchase, outside of  the retail shops, including bars which seems to also be an issue.

Out of Australia for instance the Auto gratuity was removed, not sure from which other markets this applies to as well if any.

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

A lot of lines are including gratuities in headline fare, MSC , P& O, TUI are ones that I know.

We were on the MSC  Seaside this past October. Gratuities was not included in the fare, it was added separately, like most of the other lines do. The upside was it was $12.50 p.p.pd for all cabins. We were in the Yacht Club. The food and service was so good that we tipped them extra so it would bring it up to close to the suites on RCL and Celebrity.

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

We were on the MSC  Seaside this past October. Gratuities was not included in the fare, it was added separately, like most of the other lines do. The upside was it was $12.50 p.p.pd for all cabins. We were in the Yacht Club. The food and service was so good that we tipped them extra so it would bring it up to close to the suites on RCL and Celebrity.

MSC have included for all U.K. Cruisers since May this year, so many removing them they just decided to cancel them and include in price.

9 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Pure hypocrisy. Stop lying to yourself. You do not tip according to the custom of the country you are in. You do what you want to save yourself money. You are the EXACT reason why autograts should be non-refundable if the cruise is taken.

Thank you for that deep-dive from afar into my soul.  Have a nice day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smiles1984 said:

The point in my post was that when cruising (cruises take place in seas and oceans around the world) nobody should be expected to follow any particular culture's preference for tipping practices. There's been a huge amount of discussion around following the American model and heavy implication that not doing so is rude or will result in less preferential service, and I am sharing that my experience is otherwise. 

When I'm in the US I follow the customs, I'm just pointing out why those from most other countries find it unusual and in some cases confusing. In the rest of the world a tip is a reward for good service rather than a toll to receive any service at all, in the States it seems it can be either. 

You are not following a country's tipping practice. You are following a cruise line's tipping practice. Other companies have their own tipping practices.

5 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Out of Australia for instance the Auto gratuity was removed, not sure from which other markets this applies to as well if any.

And the price increased. It's not like you're getting away with not paying the tips, it's just included in the price now. You're stiull paying the same in the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

HAHA....too funny.

I sense you may be talking out the wrong side of your face.  You drove on the left side of the side, the correct side when we colonised your country.  You decided to change no idea why, probably about the same time as you lost your sense of irony.  Driving on the left allowed people to attack correctly with their swords. 

30 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

I sense you may be talking out the wrong side of your face.  You drove on the left side of the side, the correct side when we colonised your country.  You decided to change no idea why, probably about the same time as you lost your sense of irony.  Driving on the left allowed people to attack correctly with their swords. 

Did we have two lane paths for the horse and buggy?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

If you folks do it the right way, why do they have to paint arrows all over the streets of London showing which way to look before crossing the street?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have always eaten in the MDR and never felt the need to eat in specialty restaurants on Disney, NCL, or Carnival.  I have always pre-paid my gratuities and sometimes give extra if the service was exceptional and nothing extra if it wasn't.  Last September we were on Allure and did not enjoy the food.  We loved everything else about Royal but the food was not our cup of tea.  We are going on Symphony and we are considering getting the UDP.  Being new to Royal and not having had the UDP before, I wasn't sure how the tipping was suppose to work.  My first thought was to remove tips and give cabin steward half and then spread the rest to the different waitresses and waiters we encounter.  From reading this thread I am assuming that is wrong.  According to this thread I am suppose to pay the auto grats and then tip each waitress and waiter for lunch and dinner that I come in contact with.  That is a bit too much tipping for me.  Is there another option?  Does the extra $215 per person include a gratuity?  Thank you in advance for any helpful information.

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

When you purchase the UDP 18% gratuity will be added to the price to cover you. You do not have to tip any extra on the ship if you choose not to.

Thank you so much for that answer!  I feel better about it now.

6 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

You are not following a country's tipping practice. You are following a cruise line's tipping practice. Other companies have their own tipping practices.

And the cruise line says gratuities are not mandatory. You can prepay, you can pay on board, you can pay more or you can cancel them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

And the price increased. It's not like you're getting away with not paying the tips, it's just included in the price now. You're stiull paying the same in the end.

Last year at least it was not yet the case, the drinks, spcality restaurants, spa etc prices were same as on Caribbean cruises for instance but no additional 18% aded, hence cheaper.

22 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

If one pays the autograts one does not have to tip above that.

If someone feels uncomfortable with the customs we have in the US, one does not have to visit the US. No different than if someone feels uncomfortable driving on the wrong side of the road one doesn't have to visit the UK.

We can also see it like  this, RCL is not a US cruiseline and most of their taxes are also not paid there. Hence, why the US tipping model, from cruises out of the US ok, but from all other destinations it should be integrated into the cruisefare and for all additional services such as drinks, food or spa this 18% auto gratuity should be removed.

11 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

When was the last time (or any time) you ever saw a sword hanging out of a Mini??  🤣🤣 (and they say Brits have no sense of humor)

4 hours ago, Kimba_83 said:

And the cruise line says gratuities are not mandatory. You can prepay, you can pay on board, you can pay more or you can cancel them. 

Just because you can do something doesn't make it right to do it. I can also not tip in a restaurant if I want but someone is probably going to go hungry if I do (unless it was well deserved, then it's on them). So, is the service you are receiving while on board crappy enough to justify pulling the autograts or are you just cheap?

25 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

We can also see it like  this, RCL is not a US cruiseline and most of their taxes are also not paid there. Hence, why the US tipping model, from cruises out of the US ok, but from all other destinations it should be integrated into the cruisefare and for all additional services such as drinks, food or spa this 18% auto gratuity should be removed.

So, RCCL, whose headquarters is in Miami, FL, USA and is listed on the US stock exchange is NOT an American company? I guess that's the first problem you need to reconcile before moving on.

11 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Just because you can do something doesn't make it right to do it. I can also not tip in a restaurant if I want but someone is probably going to go hungry if I do (unless it was well deserved, then it's on them). So, is the service you are receiving while on board crappy enough to justify pulling the autograts or are you just cheap?

Maybe you want to show me where I said that I "pulled the autograts"? Even if people do,  it is none of your business. I just showed you what the cruise line allows you to do. 

The way you to talk here on this thread is cheap. All that seem to matter is your opinion. 

• Like 1

What is the reaction of servers (and others) in non tipping countries when they receive tips from the typical american?  Do they just think it is crazy or do they think we are idiots or do they appreciate it?

I've never been to Europe and was just wondering.

• Like 1