Off Topic

hotzej

It’s the 76th anniversary of the D Day landing.

Those who sacrificed are well remembered in Normandy, believe me

Just a thought - hit the report post for your thread and ask the mods to change your title.  It’s about D Day not Off topic.  JMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At the end of May last year we were on the Zuiderdam which stopped at Cherbourg and we were able to tour several of the landing beaches. Unfortunately, they were setting things up for the 75th anniversary ceremonies, so we were unable to see much of the Omaha Beach and cemetery. It was the most memorable stop on the cruise.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Thank you for sharing that great tribute to your father, you sound pretty good to me.

I'm sorry, the tribute does not relate to my father - but is one of the many which are available for viewing on the memorial site and which I thought was worth displaying.

• Like 1

Thank you.  D Day still boggles my mind.  I had extended family there, family who made it, and eventually came home.  But it still makes me cry. 

When I sailed through the Dardanelles and heard the story related over the PA about Gallipoli I understood their tears too.  m--

• Thanks 1

My Father served in the merchant marine on the ships sailing on the North Atlantic to Russia.  No participation on D-Day that I know.  But, all who served during that War need to be remembered today.  

A bit off topic, but did anyone view The History Channel's 3 night mini-series of  Grant recently?  Having that to be broadcast just days before what we are now witnessing in our country is eerie.  

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this.  My dad and a few of my uncles were part of the D Day invasion. They like most  servicemen of that era, did not often talk of it. The one thing he did say was that so many soldiers drowned because of the equipment and the fact that they could not swim. My dad made sure that myself, my siblings and every other kid in the neighborhood learned to swim very early.

I was scheduled to go to Normandy this past April on the Nieu  Statendam but the cruise was cancelled die to Corvid. 

We had a chance some years back, while on Prinsendam, to visit the cemetery at Colleville-sur-mer which overlooks, what was known seventy six years ago as, Omaha Beach. It contains 9,288 graves. It is a very emotional, yet highly recommended, place to visit to pay ones respect to the heroes interned there. If you have seen the motion picture "Saving Private Ryan," the opening and final scenes are filmed there 

American military cemetery 2003.JPG

1920px-Cimetiere_Colleville_Tombe_General_Roosevelt.jpg

Normandy_American_Cemetery_and_Memorial%2C_June_2012.jpg

1920px-American_cemetery_-_Omaha.jpg

1024px-M%C3%A9morial_Cimeti%C3%A8re_Colleville-sur-Mer_-_Statue_Centrale.jpg

OmahaBeachFromNormandyCemetery.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A bit off topic, but did anyone view The History Channel's 3 night mini-series of  Grant recently?  Having that to be broadcast just days before what we are now witnessing in our country is eerie.  

Yes, It was excellent.  I hope they show it again.  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

Many of the soldiers who landed at Normandy were boys just a year out high school.  Many of them were teenagers.  I saw the movie "Saving Private Ryan" and I remember  those opening seven minutes.  The amazing thing was the Allied goal was achieved and operation was a success.

• Like 2