Australia " very likely" to be closed for the rest of the year.

9 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Australia seems to be one of the last countries that will allow free travel to happen again and as i understand the Austrlian Government tries to implement such rules well into next year. Hence even when these regulatins will be loosened earlier than expected which I assume so, already due to Economic reasons it will probably stil mean that Australia will be amongst the last counries to allow cruise ships given that they were causing a major amount of cases in the country. Hence unless we will see the situation drastically improve worldwide there might be no Australian summer crusing season 2020 / 2021.

I think Australia could be a victim of it’s own success.

The rest of the world may open their boarders and we could be living on Gilligans island.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The rest of the world may open their boarders and we could be living on Gilligans island.

I’d be quite happy right now to do a circumnavigation cruise around Australia with all aussie/kiwi staff/crew.

6 minutes ago, RKHOOKER said:

I’d be quite happy right now to do a circumnavigation cruise around Australia with all aussie/kiwi staff/crew.

I doubt you will find the staff for mostof the tasks onboard that aussies and or kiwis are willing to do, hence even if a cruiseline would consider doing so they will not be able to fnd the workforce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RKHOOKER said:

Bet it would be cheap, not.

I have been to Australia and New Zealand each a few times.  My experience was in restaurants hotels, that most of the waiters and staff are neither Aussie or Kiwi.  Wonder why that is? 🙄🤔

🤣

jc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

I have been to Australia and New Zealand each a few times.  My experience was in restaurants hotels, that most of the waiters and staff are neither Aussie or Kiwi.  Wonder why that is? 🙄🤔

You visit hotels in certain regions of town...?

Given we have a large hospitality industry trained with local staff, and award rates are applicable to all staff (not with illegals having different pay scales like some countries), there's no local reason to distinguish on the residency of the staff.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

I don't believe anyone said it was. Unlike your example of Austria for Europe.

Poster said the curve was not flattening - I showed one just example where that was not true, the same as some states show that you can't make a blanket statements that the curve is not flattening in the US.

21 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

As it happened with other counrties where no one exepcted them to open that soon; Italy or Spain for instance, although they were in a complete different situation also Australia will overthink it's strategy and loosen up things rather sooner or later. But with cruises they might be quite strict and be amongst the last ones to allow it again and go as extreem that they will not allow the 2020/2021 season to happpen.

11 hours ago, LXA350 said:

As it happened with other counrties where no one exepcted them to open that soon; Italy or Spain for instance, although they were in a complete different situation also Australia will overthink it's strategy and loosen up things rather sooner or later. But with cruises they might be quite strict and be amongst the last ones to allow it again and go as extreem that they will not allow the 2020/2021 season to happpen.

There’s been a outbreak in Melbourne,a few local government areas are locked down.

So it’s not over yet.

Its a tricky virus.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LXA350 said:

I doubt you will find the staff for mostof the tasks onboard that aussies and or kiwis are willing to do, hence even if a cruiseline would consider doing so they will not be able to fnd the workforce.

Maybe 20% unemployment might be enough incentive to take on this work.

There were a lot of burned bridges between the Australian authorities and the cruise lines during recent virus related events there. I believe a criminal investigation of the Ruby Princess is ongoing. I don't see a welcome mat ever being rolled out anytime soon.

6 hours ago, coaster said:

There were a lot of burned bridges between the Australian authorities and the cruise lines during recent virus related events there. I believe a criminal investigation of the Ruby Princess is ongoing. I don't see a welcome mat ever being rolled out anytime soon.

When it comes to making money people’s memories are short.

42 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

When it comes to making money people’s memories are short.

Government officials are probably keen enough to know that tourists spending money in hotels and local businesses within the country have a far greater impact than cruise ship passengers where profits and taxes largely go elsewhere.

Edited by coaster

6 hours ago, coaster said:

Government officials are probably keen enough to know that tourists spending money in hotels and local businesses within the country have a far greater impact than cruise ship passengers where profits and taxes largely go elsewhere.

Greater, yes, but the cruise industry still has a significant amount of hiring, rooms booked, produce purchased, port fees and so on. That still makes it an attractive proposition.

Qantas Australia’s largest airline has just sacked 6,000 workers & announced significant international travel most likely not going to start until after July 2021.  

Unlikely to see international cruises starting before the airlines.

1 hour ago, RKHOOKER said:

Qantas Australia’s largest airline has just sacked 6,000 workers & announced significant international travel most likely not going to start until after July 2021.  

That could well be true, but it doesn't preclude domestic cruises...

4 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

That could well be true, but it doesn't preclude domestic cruises...

I’m hoping for a circumnavigation of Australia cruise.  All we need is a company to send a ship down under!

3 minutes ago, RKHOOKER said:

I’m hoping for a circumnavigation of Australia cruise.  All we need is a company to send a ship down under!

I would be very happy if our Xmas/NY cruise to Vanuatu and NZ were replaced with a circumnavigation. Being from Perth, we would happily save half our airfares 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RKHOOKER said:

"Most likely"...sigh...yet another guess.  

• Like 1

Australia’s CMO just announced that it will be highly unlikely that international travellers will be allowed into the country until a vaccine becomes available (excluding New Zealand & Pacific Islands).  The governments priority is to protect the countries most vulnerable residents.  CMO is increasingly optimistic a vaccine will be available in the near future...... if not, the government will have to re-evaluate the situation.

The Prime Minister & Cabinet have today made it compulsory for returning travellers to have a Covid 19 test at the start of & on the 14th day of the hotel quarantine.

Interestingly, social distancing reduced to 1 person per 2 square metres for indoor venues.

On 6/21/2020 at 1:34 PM, RKHOOKER said:

Good luck with that. 

Your entertainment might be sorted but I think you'll be hungry on a dirty ship that wont be moving very far...

• Like 3

On 6/21/2020 at 11:39 PM, xpcdoojk said:

🤣

jc

Doesn't matter where they are from - they all get paid the same basic wage, which is a living wage.  Plus Australia is very multi cultural.  You wouldn't be able to pick nationality from skin colour or accent.  

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 9:56 PM, coaster said:

The Australians will be much more keen to get the land tourists back, especially from the Asian region. Lot's of high end hotel and shopping complexes that were bult over the last years largely depend on foreign tourists that bring lot's of $ into the Australian economy. Not to forget as well global low budget tourism, Australia is amongst the most popular back packing destiantions, hence also supporting lot's of local businesses.

The virus is serious and the risk is quite high that once the country will be opened up the numbers will also increase and can cause a 2nd wave stronger than the first one, which is Australia was very low. It's not a easy balance act, but completely isolating the country from the world is also not a strategy for the longer run, hence possibly a solution with a soft opening up letting in people from select countries where numbers are low as well will hopefully be implemented soon.

18 hours ago, AussieVisi2r said:

Doesn't matter where they are from - they all get paid the same basic wage, which is a living wage.  Plus Australia is very multi cultural.  You wouldn't be able to pick nationality from skin colour or accent.  

Ok, yeah for cultural diversity.  RCI and all of the other cruise companies pays their employees a fraction of what an Australian citizen is paid... regardless of where they are from or what they look like ( I so don’t care).  So, if we triple the price of the cruise and pay Australian wages, they might be willing to accommodate you.  

Since you are currently exploiting the poor cruise staff.... 

I only said that because you made such a good point about how important cultural diversity is.

Feel better now?🤔

jc

• Thanks 1