RoyalUp or $250 upgrade from Interior to Balcony?

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time going on a cruise as an adult, as I paid for a vacation package that included a cruise certificate.

I used the cruise certificate to book a 4 night cruise out of Orlando to the Bahamas and Cococay in March of 2022 in a 4V Interior stateroom.

I called the company I booked the package with, and they said to upgrade to a balcony room, it would be $250 total. We would like to be in a balcony, but I'm unsure if this is the best deal, or if I should wait for Royal Caribbean to start sending out some offers, or perhaps wait for the RoyalUp program to snag a good deal. 

If you have any thoughts on what would be best, the $250 upgrade through the travel company or waiting for a deal through RC/the RoyalUp deals, let me know! Thank you so much! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, krice96 said:

If you have any thoughts on what would be best, the $250 upgrade through the travel company or waiting for a deal through RC/the RoyalUp deals, let me know!

Re ask this a year from now.

The question is how much do you want a balcony? If you are traveling any time over Spring Break weeks in March then expect the prices to go upwards. 

Also Royal Up prices are per person and even if you “bid” you are not guaranteed an upgrade. 

50 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Relatively speaking very few people are successful with the Royal up.  Pony up the cash now and take advantage of price drops up to 48 hours before sailing. 

I'm questioning when he says he booked "a package". He might not be able to take advantage of price drops. The $250 exactly also makes me think it's some kind of deal, not a regular booking. But idk.

If it’s $250 out the door for the upgrade, I would take it if a balcony is that important. If your RoyalUp bid is $125 or lower, the odds of you winning the bid is extremely low. If you royalup for a suite at that low of a rate, the chances are even worst... Especially over spring break. I’m assuming your RoyalUp is $125 or lower, otherwise this wouldn’t be a debate. I would just take the balcony for $250... it’s reasonable. Plus often time the Balcony rooms are larger than most interiors as there are a good number of interiors on most class of ship don’t even have enough space for a sofa. 

Edited by SkaterJasp

3 hours ago, SkaterJasp said:

If it’s $250 out the door for the upgrade, I would take it if a balcony is that important. If your RoyalUp bid is $125 or lower, the odds of you winning the bid is extremely low. If you royalup for a suite at that low of a rate, the chances are even worst... Especially over spring break. I’m assuming your RoyalUp is $125 or lower, otherwise this wouldn’t be a debate. I would just take the balcony for $250... it’s reasonable. Plus often time the Balcony rooms are larger than most interiors as there are a good number of interiors on most class of ship don’t even have enough space for a sofa. 

He doesnt have a royal up offer. He was told pay $250 for the 4 day package cruise for a balcony. He was unsure said maybe wait for royal up which would be last minute. He booked the package with some kind of cruise certificate. Not sure what that means.

"I called the company I booked the package with, and they said to upgrade to a balcony room, it would be $250 total. We would like to be in a balcony, but I'm unsure if this is the best deal, or if I should wait for Royal Caribbean to start sending out some offers, or perhaps wait for the RoyalUp program to snag a good deal. "

It comes down to $62.50 per night. Everyone has their own financial burdens. But you said you have a certificate for the cruise, so it would ONLY be $250 for the room. I would do it. You don't cruise for almost 2 years. Do you understand what that really means? That is 21 months of savings until the cruise. It comes down to the price of a Starbuck's coffee once a month. 

Now to the real questions. How many people in the room? Are they willing to share in the price increase? How much time are you going to really spend in the room? 

I would pay the $250, especially if the agency lets you pick the location of the balcony cabin.  It's my understanding with  RoyalUp, even if you win a bid, you could get a cabin in a location you don't really like.

pay the $250, price will not being going down once cruise lines start sailing. Going from an interior to a balcony is worth the $250 (as long as that's the total and not per person). The RoyalUp program will cost more to do the same thing, if your bid is successful. I think the RoyalUp program is a marketing ploy that gets people to overpay for an upgrade.

5 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

The RoyalUp program will cost more to do the same thing, if your bid is successful.

I upgraded via Royal Up from interior to balcony for $100 total on a 7 day sailing - the OP's is only 4 days. #don'tgivercianymoremoney.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everyone! Thank you for all of your comments! I believe that I can pick the room if I book through Hilton (where I purchased the package from) and it is $250 total, not per person. It may be worth it since the RoyalUp program does not let you choose your room. I'm not sure if I would be eligible for offers in the last 48 hours either. 

2 hours ago, krice96 said:

Hi Everyone! Thank you for all of your comments! I believe that I can pick the room if I book through Hilton (where I purchased the package from) and it is $250 total, not per person. It may be worth it since the RoyalUp program does not let you choose your room. I'm not sure if I would be eligible for offers in the last 48 hours either. 

RoyalUp offers generally start at around 90 days before sailing, so at that point whatever your package involved isn't going to matter.  But you might not get an offer to upgrade at all or the cost might be higher or even if you submit a "strong" bid it might not be accepted.  Generally $250 for two people is a good deal, but you can easily look at the difference between an interior and balcony are currently priced at on your sailing to see if it is a good deal for you.  If you take the upgrade, you might still get a RoyalUp offer to a junior suite or suite if you want to try for something higher.

We won a contest certificate for an ocean view, 7 day any ship, and the upgrade cost to balcony was $9 or grand suite was $900 total.  We did the grand suite.  Only time we have sailed in a suite.