CDC -- any idea of progress in working with Cruise Lines for new Health Protocols to allow ships to sail? .

15 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Lost Lagoon here in NSB just had an employee diagnosed as well and it shut down.  Surprised that one has not been in the news-  We were there last week.  All employees in masks and they even had plexiglass barriers on the bar

It was Aunt Catfish that shut down Monday. They say they will be back as soon as they can test all staff. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Because the Florida governor isn't dumb.   Many of the states that were listed are now testing the general population.  That doesn't really mean anything because you could get infected 5 minutes after the test.

I would think the Florida governor wants numbers to look good and not bad as they currently do so why wouldn't he do the same thing as those other states are doing?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Although RCL has not issued specific guidance to their travelers, Costa just has, and I have a feeling all will follow suit.

http://www.sailcosta.com/8115_Safety/8115.03_FAQs.pdf

Good info. It still says they are working with CDC. That must resolve the other issues in the sail requirements regarding medical staff and facilities. How they would handle someone onboard who became ill and had the classic signs of CV19. 

M8

What happens if a guest experiences Covid-19 symptoms?If a guest experiences symptoms similar to Covid-19, he/she will be immediately transferred to a dedicated area and isolated in the Medical Center on board the ship; subsequently he/she will be moved to quarantine in specifically equipped cabins with balconies. Also, those who have been in close and direct contact with any symptomatic subjects, will be treated in the Medical Center and, if necessary, isolated in dedicated cabins.

1 minute ago, franncos said:

What happens if a guest experiences Covid-19 symptoms?If a guest experiences symptoms similar to Covid-19, he/she will be immediately transferred to a dedicated area and isolated in the Medical Center on board the ship; subsequently he/she will be moved to quarantine in specifically equipped cabins with balconies. Also, those who have been in close and direct contact with any symptomatic subjects, will be treated in the Medical Center and, if necessary, isolated in dedicated cabins.

Still doesn’t answer what do they do with the sick person(s) other than quarantine onboard?  Are they going to get ventilators and staff to monitor them?  I can almost promise you, not many ports will be willing to accept sick CV19 cases. What about the next cruise?  Will they be required to notify the next passengers they have a CV19 patient onboard? One of CDC recommendation was for the Cruise lines to get together and maybe have a shared hospital ship. 

M8

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

The more you test, the higher the number.  Does not mean it's a spike, it means that more were tested,...

The data that you need is the rate of positive tests.  If 10,000 were tested last week and 5% return positive, and 10,000 were tested this week with 8% positive, then that shows that infection rate is growing.  Take the number of tests out of the equation.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

3 days after the CDC meeting, Disney cruise lines announced they will start limited cruises to the  Bahamas.  This is a soft opening.  Why did they do that?  We know that a magic button will not happen, and that at some point, a ship will sail in the near future.  The disease is not going away, but being managed.  Some of the islands are now opening, including Bahamas.  We are now 38 days away from the no sail order to end.  Stop speculating, the "spikes" are not really a spike, and is expected.  I go out everyday, without a mask.  I give hugs, handshakes.  It's time to stop the media frenzy, and realize that you can go out, and do things.  It is your personal choice to go or not to go, but the business will start up soon.  Most likely in the very near future.

And THAT my friend is one of the primary reasons why Florida is having a spike in cases right now.  Thanks so much for not doing anything to help reduce COVID infections!  You, and others like you, that proudly claim that they don't abide by any of the recommended precautions will contribute to further delays in reopening, INCLUDING the cruise industry. You also seem like somebody who would ignore health protocols on a cruise ship, making cruising anytime in the near future less safe or desirable to other cruisers.  

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Then how does that explain states like New York, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and others that have been testing more but are seeing fewer cases?

In the case of CT, many of the same front line workers are tested and retested on a regular basis.  We may be testing at or about 50,000 people a week, but that number doesn't mean that we test 50,000 new/different people every week - the stats are not broken down that way.

I won't get tested just to get tested - that is not how I have ever used health care.

Here in Ontario Canada, we are testing like crazy.  In fact today, we tested almost 25,000 people and our numbers have been dropping for four straight days.  I believe today the number of new cases was 174.   Plus our hospitalizations are way down as well.  It is incorrect to say that increased testing, leads to spikes.  That is simply not so for us here in Canada.  What does lead to increases in numbers are indoor large gatherings, with people not wearing masks.  We have actually just allowed churches to open to 30 percent capacity and are not allowing singing in church to avoid the spray of droplets and are advising people wear masks as well.   I think for the next few months it would be a great idea if all of us North Americans did our best to think about each other and to protect each other by wearing a mask when not able to keep six feet apart.  You may asymptomatic and be spreading this virus unknowingly.  You may feel perfectly fine but be a carrier.  For a short while another three months of so, why not simply give the world a chance, and protect one another so we come out of this intact and all better and we can then all get back to cruising because there will not be any cruising out of the U.S.A. until numbers fall to single digits and that does not appear likely this summer nor this fall.

• Like 3

And THAT my friend is one of the primary reasons why Florida is having a spike in cases right now.  Thanks so much for not doing anything to help reduce COVID infections!  You, and others like you, that proudly claim that they don't abide by any of the recommended precautions will contribute to further delays in reopening, INCLUDING the cruise industry. You also seem like somebody who would ignore health protocols on a cruise ship, making cruising anytime in the near future less safe or desirable to other cruisers.  

Exactly! 

People are doing the same stupid crap here in Arizona.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, NouCruzer said:

The data that you need is the rate of positive tests.  If 10,000 were tested last week and 5% return positive, and 10,000 were tested this week with 8% positive, then that shows that infection rate is growing.  Take the number of tests out of the equation.

You have to understand your test population

Remember early on the only people that were getting tested had to be high risk as testing was limited, that changes the pool.

I you assume that the actual exposure rate is estimated by some in the 5% than random high volume testing will be some number below that as many of the 5% are recovered already and possible have immunity.    

19 hours ago, franncos said:

Ugh.  What if the patient goes out on the balcony, or worse, leaves the slider open?   The separation between balconies doesn't matter when the ship is rolling along at 20 knots / mph.  I had a similar discussion with a cyclist friend-  six feet separation when riding single file is utterly useless.  Same with balconies when the ship is underway.

I'm sure the policy is trying to be humanitarian and giving a balcony since the patient is confined to the cabin.  I'd just hate to be downstream.  I guess they could use the nice big aft balconies for this purpose...   🤔

To those of you who will not wear face masks, don't come to Tampa.  They become mandatory in most situations starting at 5:00 today.  And the new restriction is for good reason - Florida is looking to be the next epicenter.  Doesn't bode well for cruises or us Floridians.  

On 6/17/2020 at 9:59 PM, xpcdoojk said:

Imagine that a bureaucracy failing to deal with the public.  You can’t fire, them or un-elect them imagine that because they are immune to us they don’t respond to us.  shocking....   or completely predictable.

jc

Yup, that's all we need right now, another bureaucracy telling us how to live our lives.

35 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Yup, that's all we need right now, another bureaucracy telling us how to live our lives.

Right, don't follow any of the guidelines, act recklessly, see CV continue to spike, and never reopen businesses.  Maybe if folks would act responsibly for the greater good we could try and solve this more quickly.  

• Like 2