Tell me about Port Canavaral

Thinking of booking a cruise out of Port Canaveral. Where is closest airport to fly in at, Orlando? And then you have to arrange transportation to the port? What is available? Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Melbourne is closest, then Orlando (MCO) with many more flights. If your area is served by Allegiant, Sanford (SFB) is also possible.

Various shuttle services will take you to Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach from MCO. The shuttles don't work well from SFB unless you have a party of several people, because at SFB they will charge for a full van. Uber is OK to/from SFB. Rental cars are convenient at SFB but somewhat inconvenient at Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral, because usually several cruise ships are debarking and embarking on the same day, and the rental agencies need customers to return cars before they have any to rent out. Having rented a car to go from SFB to Cocoa Beach - because I wanted to have a car there - I cancelled my return booking and took Uber back to SFB.

We flew into Orlando (MCO) and rented a car one way for the day and drove to Port Canaveral.  Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites.  Took the car back to the Port Canaveral rental location the next morning and they shuttled us to the ship.  Did the reverse when we got back except stayed in Orlando.  It was actually cheaper to rent a car than the shuttle service from the airport.  The shuttle service was very prompt.

This is my favorite port! A lot of times we fly in fairly late to MCO and just stay at a hotel around the airport, then take an uber to the port in the morning. It's insanely fast and easy, I know it's like 45 miles but I swear somehow it's quicker than FLL to Port Everglades. Now, if it's a shorter cruise and we want some beach time, we do a rental car from MCO (selecting the different dropoff location option) to Cocoa Beach and stay at a hotel on the beach for a couple days, then drop the rental car off in town and they shuttle you to the port. 

Edited by jen52683
  • Like 1

It's a bit of a drive, maybe 45 minutes?  We used Uber and it was under $100 for 3 of us each way with tip.  In our mind it was worth spending a little more vs getting a rental car.  We stayed on Cocoa Beach and everything was very walkable.  Restaurants, grocery store, tourist stuff.  Not even a 10 minute Uber ride to the port the next morning, no trouble getting an Uber at 11am.

When we were there in Feb, the driver was telling us they are actually putting in a light-rail train system to go from the airport to Port Canaveral.  Someday when it's done, it will probably be a very cost effective way to get back and forth!

Tip if you fly into MCO a day or two before your cruise and want to explore: most rental car companies let you pick up your car at the airport and drop it off in port Canaveral with no one-way surcharge.  They also have free shuttles from the PC drop-off locations to the port.

We have sailed from PC a few times. The first time we went a few days early and my wife and I went to Disney with no kids. Another time we had the opportunity to see the last shuttle take off. I don't remember the details because it has been so long, but we took a shuttle from Orlando to PC even though we had driven to Orlando. 

19 hours ago, crusingcouple said:

When we were there in Feb, the driver was telling us they are actually putting in a light-rail train system to go from the airport to Port Canaveral.  Someday when it's done, it will probably be a very cost effective way to get back and forth!

Virgin Trains is not currently slated to have a stop at Port Canaveral (or anywhere in Brevard County). There could be one by 2027, but it's not firmed up yet.

The site development for the tracks is happening now along 528. It stops at the existing US1 tracks, about 7 miles from PC.

We always drive it, but we have our own car as we take the Auto Train. If we flew in, we'd rent a car and drive ourselves as it's easy to drop off a rental near the port.  Many do it that way.