NCL's final payment date at 120

Just wondering for those of you booked for early 2021, is the 120 day out final payment date for a cash refund seriously weighing on your decision to go on that particular cruise? I have a cruise on the Encore booked for early April out of Florida and final payment is due in December. With all that is going on, what will be going on then , and the issues with refunds I am very hesitant to make a final payment in mid December. Any others thinking about this as an upcoming personal issue? I could deal with a 30 or even 60 day final payment but 120 days seems ridiculous to make a commitment of thousands of dollars to an ever changing virus/cruise environment. If cruises start this winter then it may make me feel better but if they want $4K in December and not a single cruise has sailed or sailed safely by then I will probably cancel. Thoughts? Will they change the deadlines?  

We are booked for Feb 14 and have to pay in October so very concerned about what’s going on! You would think they would change that final payment date with what’s going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, foxjim1 said:

We are booked for Feb 14 and have to pay in October so very concerned about what’s going on! You would think they would change that final payment date with what’s going on!

No way I could make that payment. You would think they’d give people some wiggle room but this is NCL so expect to get strong armed for that final payment money . I will tell them to stick a fork in my reservation if they don’t offer a cancellation extension. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, foxjim1 said:

I wouldn't make that final payment.  We don't even know if cruises will have started back up by then. 

On 7/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, Noworkforme23 said:

My final payment is due 8-14 for Dec 12, 2020 Encore cruise. I am I glad I have kept my $3,900 in the bank and have only paid the $100 deposit. 
If no promising news in next 6 weeks, I am going to call for an extension on my due date because I am not giving up that money that can be used elsewhere. 
I already put down a deposit for a Miami Beach vacation since my flight is already paid for and plan to use that money for my backup plan. 

UPDATE- called and spoke with a nice gentleman at NCL, but he advised they are not able/authorized to extend the due date past 8-14, but he could cancel my reservation if I would like to. 

So I guess I will just cancel since I am pretty sure they won’t sail in December and I don’t want to give them $3,900 that I will not see for 90 days once it is cancelled.  What happens on 8-14? Do they just keep my $100 deposit or do I need to request the cancellation myself to get the $100 back? 

59 minutes ago, Noworkforme23 said:

So I guess I will just cancel since I am pretty sure they won’t sail in December and I don’t want to give them $3,900 that I will not see for 90 days once it is cancelled.  What happens on 8-14? Do they just keep my $100 deposit or do I need to request the cancellation myself to get the $100 back? 

You have to call NCL and cancel anytime before the final payment due date and tell them to refund your deposit.  However, If you just do nothing they will keep your $100 deposit.   (You don't say where you live so I'm assuming you booked on the US website).  

Just now, Travelling2Some said:

You have to call NCL and cancel anytime before the final payment due date and tell them to refund your deposit.  However, If you just do nothing they will keep your $100 deposit.   (You don't say where you live so I'm assuming you booked on the US website).  

Yes, I booked on the NCL site, I live in the US. :)    Thank you !!!! 

1 hour ago, Noworkforme23 said:

UPDATE- called and spoke with a nice gentleman at NCL, but he advised they are not able/authorized to extend the due date past 8-14

..... and this stubborn business approach by the brass will sink them ....  Nobody with any sense would pay in full for a cruise in these conditions months out. They can’t survive on deposits alone and need those finals and they aren’t going to get them . 30 days would be my comfort zone .......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

..... and this stubborn business approach by the brass will sink them ....  Nobody with any sense would pay in full for a cruise in these conditions months out. They can’t survive on deposits alone and need those finals and they aren’t going to get them . 30 days would be my comfort zone .......

Agree 100%. I asked for a due date of 10-14 from 8-14, he apologized and stated they had not been given any authority to extend the due dates.  I very politely said thank you and ended the call.  

• Like 1

The final payment for our April 2021 Mexican Riviera cruise is due December 12th.  There is no way I will making payment if there hasn't been any cruises yet.  We only have $220 down on the cruise that included free/reduced airfare from Detroit so that's a bummer.   I have a back up plan with a small deposit on a condo in St Pete Beach, Fl that is refundable up to end of February.  Not taking any chances there either.  I hope we get to go somewhere.😟

Edited by Lorey2007
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I think that's going to be a very popular opinion.  I've been wondering when they will realize we are not idiots and they are going to have to be a lot more flexible to get final payments from people under these circumstances.  Even aside from the threat of cancellation or quarantine, we don't even know just how annoying the new cruise experience is going to be yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

I think that's going to be a very popular opinion.  I've been wondering when they will realize we are not idiots and they are going to have to be a lot more flexible to get final payments from people under these circumstances.  Even aside from the threat of cancellation or quarantine, we don't even know just how annoying the new cruise experience is going to be yet. 

^^^^ This! People were already nervous enough about getting cash refunds before. Now more than ever NCL won’t have the cash to refund payments for cruises that get cancelled into the first quarter of 2021. My Encore cruise out of Miami in April already looks like a no go based on models and I wouldn’t give them another dime upon the deposits I have for that cruise now ......

I would be very careful and reluctant to do business with Norwegian Cruise Line. They will make and reshape their policies to cover themselves and postpone/delay or even ignore refund requests. There are now over 900 customers waiting for their refunds. NCL does not have the right to confiscate your payments for things you do not want. More federal oversight is needed.

We are booked on Joy Jan 17. If they extend the cruise with confidence (or whatever NCL was calling their policy) there’s a slim chance I may go ahead and make final payment but there is no way I expect at this point we will actually end up sailing in January. Even if cruises are operating by then I just can’t see it (we also have a 72 and 80 year old In the group.) Most likely we will just move the deposits out to probably next November. We were talking about April but I think even that is iffy.

I would just flat out cancel Until things calm down and lose the hundred dollar to TA cancellation fee but we also paid for non-NCL insurance that can be transferred but would be lost if we flat out canceled. Unfortunately my mom booked it and it was overpriced thru TA. 

I, too, booked my Jan. 3, 2021 Getaway cruise with a TA who charges $100 cancellation fee.  Spoke to them last week and they said they would issue a voucher for the $100 to book a cruise later in the year if we want to cancel.  If NCL cancels no charge.

Also, they wanted final payment Aug. 5 instead of NCL's Sept. 5.  They did extend it to Aug. 24.  But I think by that time we will probably cancel.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:08 PM, EllieinNJ said:

I, too, booked my Jan. 3, 2021 Getaway cruise with a TA who charges $100 cancellation fee.  Spoke to them last week and they said they would issue a voucher for the $100 to book a cruise later in the year if we want to cancel.  If NCL cancels no charge.

Also, they wanted final payment Aug. 5 instead of NCL's Sept. 5.  They did extend it to Aug. 24.  But I think by that time we will probably cancel.

I called that big box cruise company to cancel my Jan 3 cruise yesterday (waiting for the call back - FYI their voicemail said it can take up to 5 days for a call back).  There are too many questions marks, and regulations/restrictions in place that need to change before we can cruise  (Canadians). Unfortunately, I just can't bringmyself to put a deposit down with the current climate.  This will be my first cancelled cruise.   😭

Absolutely.  I had a 4 nighter on the Encore out of Miami for Jan 28th booked which I just cancelled.  The way things are here in Florida now, I can't see any ships going out of Miami until Spring at the earliest.  

We have a 2 bedroom Haven suite booked for myself, 2 sisters and their husbands.  All sailings canceled thru end of September and our final payment is due the end of September.  Pretty sure we are going to cancel and hope our TA will give us a voucher for the $100 deposit but no big deal.  Don't know what happens to the travel insurance I bought thru insuremytrip.  Also have air booked to Miami for 3 of us.  We are booked on Encore 2-1-21.  The prices for 2022 are not exactly the same itinerary so either or little shorter or a little longer and $10,000 MORE.  Our final deposit is huge so as much as we want to cruise - just not sure it's going to happen.  We have some discussing to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BEACHBARB said:

We have a 2 bedroom Haven suite booked for myself, 2 sisters and their husbands.  All sailings canceled thru end of September and our final payment is due the end of September.  Pretty sure we are going to cancel and hope our TA will give us a voucher for the $100 deposit but no big deal.  Don't know what happens to the travel insurance I bought thru insuremytrip.  Also have air booked to Miami for 3 of us.  We are booked on Encore 2-1-21.  The prices for 2022 are not exactly the same itinerary so either or little shorter or a little longer and $10,000 MORE.  Our final deposit is huge so as much as we want to cruise - just not sure it's going to happen.  We have some discussing to do.

Yea, as sad as it is for what you’re spending there is no way I would take that chance. So many people are going to cancel if they keep the 120 day final. I find it mind boggling that they wouldn’t adjust it rather than scaring everyone off with this craziness in these times. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

So many people are going to cancel if they keep the 120 day final. I find it mind boggling that they wouldn’t adjust it rather than scaring everyone off with this craziness in these times. 

I agree...but actually am not surprised NCL is doing this.  They are aggressivley taking in as much money as they can as fast as they can.  Guess they think it will make their bottom line look better.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ranchette said:

Can you use a FCC on a future cruise already booked? I have a cruise booked in Feb. 2021 and if it is canceled can I use it towards my Sept. 2021 cruise already booked???

Yes, as long as NCL processes the cancellation and returns your FCC for the cancelled February cruise prior to the payment deadline for the September cruise, you certainly can reuse the FCC.  Be sure to check the expiration date on your FCC and apply it to your next cruise prior to its expiration.