Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I was wondering what the new administration was going to do with the excess vaccines we've purchased, especially if/when the FDA approves the AstraZeneca EUA. Glad they'll be going to our neighbors, Canada and Mexico.

Biden to send surplus AstraZeneca vaccine doses to Mexico, Canada | TheHill

Problem is we have about 30,000,000 doses of AZ vaccines sitting in a warehouse in Ohio and it has a shelf-line of 3 months, hope it wasn't shipped to us in January, but since they said they only had 7,000,000 releasable AZ vaccines, I think they are having a problem with inventory control.  When AZ and Novavax gets approved, their contracts kicks in and, theoretically, we can vaccinated 500,000,000 adult Americans (a little less since we may have to throw away some AZ vaccines).  We have 330,000,000 Americans of all ages and kids can't take this vaccine.  You do the math. 

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That would be great! Is it just a hunch or do you have insider knowledge?

Totally hearsay, but a friend who works CDC adjacent (who knows or cares zilch about cruises) who thought next steps were already released. We'll see. CNBC also reporting a Biden admin spokesperson saying they are eyeing a mid-May to ease travel restrictions.  

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Problem is we have about 30,000,000 doses of AZ vaccines sitting in a warehouse in Ohio and it has a shelf-line of 3 months, hope it wasn't shipped to us in January, but since they said they only had 7,000,000 releasable AZ vaccines, I think they are having a problem with inventory control.  When AZ and Novavax gets approved, their contracts kicks in and, theoretically, we can vaccinated 500,000,000 adult Americans (a little less since we may have to throw away some AZ vaccines).  We have 330,000,000 Americans of all ages and kids can't take this vaccine.  You do the math. 

For what its worth, a comment from an FDA vaccine official in relation to the expiration of the stored AZ vaccine.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/543661-fda-official-us-astrazeneca-stockpile-not-in-danger-of-expiring

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Totally hearsay, but a friend who works CDC adjacent (who knows or cares zilch about cruises) who thought next steps were already released. We'll see. CNBC also reporting a Biden admin spokesperson saying they are eyeing a mid-May to ease travel restrictions.  

Thanks! If possible would please post the CNBC link.

3 minutes ago, D C said:

Interesting. What restrictions, I wonder.  There are really very few for US citizens that are imposed at the Federal level. 

Mostly in terms of opening boarders with air travel but I could see cruises involved in that conversation. Allowing two more months to evaluate vaccine progress and the plateau we've hit against the impact of states going wild loosening restrictions makes sense. If that holds true in a best case scenario, I still think it could be 5-6 months before cruises of any 'normal' variety begin. 

Canada will not let in Americans no matter what the US decides to do with our side of the border.  Why should they?  But sending Canadians vaccines and accelerating their vaccine program is the right and neighborly thing to do.  That is the fastest way to get the borders open.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Canada will not let in Americans no matter what the US decides to do with our side of the border.  Why should they?  But sending Canadians vaccines and accelerating their vaccine program is the right and neighborly thing to do.  That is the fastest way to get the borders open.

How about if we offer to drop them off in Victoria – from a cruise ship heading to Alaska?  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, D C said:

Where did Carnival say that?   They also are requiring vaccines on one of their own brands, so there's quite a conflict in that statement.     

Royal has actually said they'll require vaccines for all adults on May sailings of the Odyssey from Israel. 

https://cruisefever.net/carnivals-ceo-said-the-cruise-line-likely-wont-require-vaccinations/

here ya go, from Arnold himself

Edited by pumpkin 11

36 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

For what its worth, a comment from an FDA vaccine official in relation to the expiration of the stored AZ vaccine.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/543661-fda-official-us-astrazeneca-stockpile-not-in-danger-of-expiring

Well, we do have 30,000,000 doses of AZ vaccines which have not been approved, at least, given an EUA.  They have a 3 month storage limitation.  I read somewhere the EU and other countries have been asking for them.  If there are only 7 million releaseable vaccines, what is the other 23,000,000 vaccines for, a strategic reserve??  Give them all away as this may be the vaccine that most Americans will try to avoid.  The reporter should have asked the FDA official when does the AZ vaccine in storage starts expiring. 

4 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Thanks! From the following statement in the article, my uninformed guess is HAL and Princess and a few other more senior-targeted Carnival-owned lines might be on the short list for mandated vaccines. Just guessing though.

However, he did say that they may make it mandatory for cruises that are geared towards seniors.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Thanks! Unfortunately, since cruising was not specifically mentioned, I guess we will just continue to sit and wait for CDC to do their thing. Who knows, maybe your friend was right and their new technical guidance has already been released to the cruise lines.

31 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! Unfortunately, since cruising was not specifically mentioned, I guess we will just continue to sit and wait for CDC to do their thing. Who knows, maybe your friend was right and their new technical guidance has already been released to the cruise lines.

OK@paulh84, I'm starting to see a little "glimmer of defused light" after reading this article which references CNBC's reporting. 🤞🤞

Cruising in the U.S. in May? Biden Eyes Relaxing Travel Restrictions - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

I really like this statement:

That may also mean the CDC's Framework For Conditional Sailing Order could see revisions, or as some cruise sources have indicated: disappear entirely if the industry requires passengers to be vaccinated, rendering the virus an afterthought in most cases.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK@paulh84, I'm starting to see a little "glimmer of defused light" after reading this article which references CNBC's reporting. 🤞🤞

Cruising in the U.S. in May? Biden Eyes Relaxing Travel Restrictions - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

That may also mean the CDC's Framework For Conditional Sailing Order could see revisions, or as some cruise sources have indicated: disappear entirely if the industry requires passengers to be vaccinated, rendering the virus an afterthought in most cases.

Let's hope so.  The CDC has no relevance if everyone on a ship is vaccinated.  Don't mess with perfection!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just to add a little more positive vibes to the idea of cruise lines restarting with only vaccinated cruisers, here's an article where the head of the Federal Maritime Commission is recommending the idea.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/FMC-commissioner-urges-cruising-restart

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

7 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I wonder if these are the same models that predicted Covid would overwhelm the hospitals. 

"model" + "might happen" = non-news imho