The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Today's sunrise is from my 2012 Celebrity Solstice transatlantic.  April 19 was a sea day on the way to our first port, Tenerife:

dawn19-730486.jpg

Roy

The other question of my near term cruise planning decision (beside budget).   It used to be what ports would I like to see.  Now it is what ports might be open and which would likely be closed.  So hopefully we can see Antarctica (Argentina needs to open) and Japan circumnavigation (on country bet a year from now). EU moved to end of 2022 and Australia to 2023.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, rafinmd said:

Thank you.  I have been having unexpected shortness of breath for about a week.  I saw my primary doctor Monday and he called for a number of tests.  Wednesday was an echocardiogram which I thought I would finish pretty quickly and even had my final piece of breakfast in my coat pocket.  They found a defective mitral valve and called an ambulance for me to University of Maryland Hospital in downtown Baltimore.  I was there until Friday evening and they ran a slew of tests before discharging me about 5:30PM.  No treatment yet but I see their cardiologist Thursday.  I shouldn't go straight to surgery from there but should at least have a date.

I went out to Panera for takeout this morning and it was fine when I left but started raining while I was there.  In any case I a hunkered down for the rest of the day.

Roy

I just got a call from University of Maryland.  While the standard mitral clip surgery is not ideal due to calcification of the valve they have reviewed the details  and decided the mitral clip would have a high probability of helping me.  The operation is less invasive than would have been involved with the test procedures but rather technical.  They would be working from a catheter inserted in my groin and they estimate about 3 hours in surgery.  Under ideal conditions I might be able to go home the next day but more likely a bit longer.

The procedure is tentatively scheduled for 7AM May 14 (A Friday).  We discussed my walking which I was a bit concerned might be over stressing me but he encouraged me to be as aggressive with it as I can.  This morning I walked a trail which I had never expected to be able to walk again and while I walked very slowly I was able to complete it without ever needing to completely stop and catch my breath.  I know there will be blood work and a Covid test before the procedure and likely some other things but so far this is just getting started.

Roy
23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:
I just got a call from University of Maryland.  While the standard mitral clip surgery is not ideal due to calcification of the valve they have reviewed the details  and decided the mitral clip would have a high probability of helping me.  The operation is less invasive than would have been involved with the test procedures but rather technical.  They would be working from a catheter inserted in my groin and they estimate about 3 hours in surgery.  Under ideal conditions I might be able to go home the next day but more likely a bit longer.

The procedure is tentatively scheduled for 7AM May 14 (A Friday).  We discussed my walking which I was a bit concerned might be over stressing me but he encouraged me to be as aggressive with it as I can.  This morning I walked a trail which I had never expected to be able to walk again and while I walked very slowly I was able to complete it without ever needing to completely stop and catch my breath.  I know there will be blood work and a Covid test before the procedure and likely some other things but so far this is just getting started.

Roy

Thanks for the update, Roy, as I’ve been curious how your situation has been progressing. And take the win on today’s walk as a positive step forward. 

Well, tonight's dinner was leftover roast beef.  Whip up some mashed potatoes, make a little brown gravy, a veg, and there you are.  Then I came to me: we also had leftover french (AKA "freedom") fries in the fridge.  Sub those out for mashed and pour the gravy over them.  Smashing!  I'm thinking about putting this on the menu at the Chez, calling it "south of the border poutine."  A sure fire hit, n'est ce pas?

Also, apologies in advance for not having any cheese curds on hand.

On 4/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, BWIVince said:

OMG, I had a similar moment this week...  My mother and I used to debate about cottage cheese, which I've NEVER been a fan of, and she had with/for breakfast several days a week.  Wednesday I bought cottage cheese for the first time in my life.  I could literally feel my late mother smack me up side the head as I put it in the cart -- TWICE.

Vince

You must REALLY be bored.

I suppose I could tolerate it with canned peaches. Heavy on the peaches.

4 hours ago, May B said:

You must REALLY be bored.

I suppose I could tolerate it with canned peaches. Heavy on the peaches.

May, remember that @BWIVincehas already admitted to  occasionally using Knorr to make Hollandaise, in what I can only assume to be moments of desperation.  When on Crystal, his dining choices are much more adventurous than mine(which I envy), but at home...hmmm.

41 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

May, remember that @BWIVincehas already admitted to  occasionally using Knorr to make Hollandaise, in what I can only assume to be moments of desperation.  When on Crystal, his dining choices are much more adventurous than mine(which I envy), but at home...hmmm.

It gets worse.  Much worse. 

I learned what he had for dinner last night. And can say with full confidence it’ll never make it onto the menu at the Chez....

59 minutes ago, BEAV said:

It gets worse.  Much worse. 

I learned what he had for dinner last night. And can say with full confidence it’ll never make it onto the menu at the Chez....

Okay, you CANNOT make a statement like that and NOT back it up with facts!!! What was it?? Eye of Newt? Monkey brains?? Or, God Forbid, Kraft Dinner??😁😁😁

Oh gosh, I've just discovered that two of the Chez's best customers are both sailing on December 3.  What fun to join in the frivolity, but the Chez's holiday income is too great to close the doors.  Maybe anther time.

OLoPP is equally despondent.

Bon voyage!

Just now, KenzSailing said:

Oh gosh, I've just discovered that two of the Chez's best customers are both sailing on December 3.  What fun to join in the frivolity, but the Chez's holiday income is too great to close the doors.  Maybe anther time.

But still, bon voyage!

10 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Okay, you CANNOT make a statement like that and NOT back it up with facts!!! What was it?? Eye of Newt? Monkey brains?? Or, God Forbid, Kraft Dinner??😁😁😁

I will let the gentleman answer for himself in his own, due time.

But suffice it to say you’re nearing home base with the Kraft stuff.....

10 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Bon voyage!

Edited by nancygp
6 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

I only wish there was a sad button option added to the “like” feature.

Was hoping you could drag your fancy air fryer along for the sail and dazzle dazzle the folks in the galley. 😢

Ugh...this goes with my last post that I couldn’t comment on..

so great to sail with Vince and Brian in 2019....first time meeting Vince

Nancy 

OK, sorry, but time for another of my periodic cri de coeur's: the recent influx to the board of amateur epidemiologists/safe travel advisors is not helpful, tiresome, and dispiriting.

Relatedly, does CC have a limit on the number of posters on one's "ignore user" list? I don't know but, as they say in Texas, I'm fixin' to find out.

Also: long live the Oxford comma.

46 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Bon voyage!

Awwwwwwww!   I wish you both could join us!  Hopefully another time soon, it will be fun to compare notes aboard ship in real time.

My home dining is all over the map.  For lunch today I had poke, but last night I had a frozen TV dinner.  Brian’s comment came from a Lean Cuisine I was going to have, but At the last minute I ended up saving that for lunch tomorrow and had a Rao’s Chicken Parm instead.

Those are generally my backup rations for when I’m too busy to go out or too tired to make anything, but that hadn’t been much of an issue for the past few months of “unpaid vacation”.  Yesterday I started a new job though, and the world of being trapped online all day without a lunch break came crashing back — and so did the nasty backup meals.  Haha. I’m not complaining though, this is how to pay for the good meals in December!

Vince

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 Crystal-HAL combination from Bali to Ft. Lauderdale.  On April 21 MS Amsterdam was at sea from the Canaries to Barbados:

dawn0421.jpg

Roy

On 4/20/2021 at 8:52 PM, KenzSailing said:

Bon voyage!

I must confess I missed the post (if there was one) where you explained OLoPP. I’ll guess Our Lady if Perpetual ... ? Surely not POUTING?

1 hour ago, May B said:

I must confess I missed the post (if there was one) where you explained OLoPP. I’ll guess Our Lady if Perpetual ... ? Surely not POUTING?

Very close...Patience.

Today's sunrise will be among the last from my 2018 Crystal 2-ship World Cruise.  On April 23 the Crystal Symphony was in Aruba:

dawn0423.jpg

Roy

It's a glorious day here in Maryland.  The sun is shining, the birds are singing and...

OLoPP got her second "Fauci Ouchie!"

It was interesting, both times we used a mass vax site run by the state (Six Flags).  It's very well run. Three weeks ago from first wait to shot was one hour 21 minutes.  Today is was 10 minutes.  All the articles I'm seeing about the supply/demand tipping point, well they're accurate, at least around here.