Windstar Return to Service: HEPA Filters, UV-C Lights and Much More

Fatfish

The limited dining, wearing of masks, reduced capacities on tenders have me thinking about canceling my cruise. I don't want to be on a cruise with a limited experience to what I have had in the past. I am not going to have dinner in my room, I don't want to have to wait to eat dinner at a set time due to lower capacity in the dining room. I don't want to wait hours for a tender to go ashore since only half as many people are on them. All the ports on Tahiti cruises are tender ports and it could take hours to disembark. This is a PITA.

My cruise is in January, on Wind Spirit. I'll see how it is going come September when Tahiti cruises resume. But if they are half-baked, I'm going to cancel. 

On Tahiti cruises, some of the island 'ports' are so small there are a couple of other options.  For one, on Windstar, just dive off the back ! lol

Also, due to those capacity concerns, maybe they will let tour operators pick up at the ship; so you can load up quickly for your tour.  Don't forget that in that area, it is quite likely you will have inside and outside dining  options, and they will no doubt spread out the tables with more outside; so it may not be so bad. Just ideas.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, susiesan said:

My cruise is in January, on Wind Spirit. I'll see how it is going come September when Tahiti cruises resume. But if they are half-baked, I'm going to cancel. 

Susie, you and I have a lot in common wrt what is going on right now.

That being said, it truly seems like some of these new protocols are actually very very positive for the freedoms of individual cruisers! Maybe read the article again and think of it in terms of the company bearing the brunt of responsibility so that the customer does not.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, FeliciaLee said:

That being said, it truly seems like some of these new protocols are actually very very positive for the freedoms of individual cruisers!

In Tahiti a COVID test 72 hours prior to your flight and one onboard the ship seems positive for cruisers and for protecting the health of the population. I'm willing to give up some of my freedoms onboard just to be able to cruise again.But I feel for Susie with final payment coming up. The PG sailings later this month and Sept sailings Wind Spirit should give us some sense of where things will stand 4-5 months from now. Although who knows what's next in this COVID world.

• Like 2

COVID tests, 72-hours prior, are also required to enter St Maarten, another WS embark/debark port with cruises scheduled to start back up in November on the Surf.

Honestly, I think what Windstar has sketched out seems reasonable in the “new normal”. Personally speaking I don’t expect any cruising experience, or any travel experience, going forward to be the same as how it was in the past. It would just be up to each traveler to determine their own tolerances on restrictions and choose to travel or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Bravo Windstar for stepping up for your passengers and crew with these new procedures and safety protocols.  Yes, they might be a PITA, but we're still on a CRUISE, enjoying life!!!

We look forward to our upcoming cruises on the Star Breeze (Athens - San Juan 6 November) and the Wind Surf (Sint Maarten - Barbados 26 December).  

• Like 1

"instead of the usual embrace or handshake, look for the new “Windstar Wave” hand signal – a W made with one’s index fingers and thumbs."

So is this with both hands, thumbs touching? A simple "w" like finger spelling would be easier...

Barbados also requires a test 72 hours before and you can enter the data online; OR you can take one upon arrival and they will pay for you to stay in a place pending the result OR  you can pay for your own test and stay at your own expense in one of the designated hotels.  Pretty well organized. See their rules at https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-19-travel-guidelines-2020

• Like 1

Congratulations Windstar on moving forward with a decisive plan to make cruising safer for all aboard their ships! Yes, there will be a new normal in travel as well as our everyday life. But these smaller ships that we know and love are the place to be. Looking forward to Windstar cruise # 25, and praying that it will be soon!

• Like 3

This all sounds quite acceptable to me – and very reassuring healthwise.  Not only should it protect against coronavirus, but should help prevent outbreaks of Noro and other ship outbreaks.

Here is an article on Cruise Critic about what sailing under this type of restriction is like.  It's about Ponant, but many parts of their protocol are similar:

Live From Ponant: Sailing on An Expedition Ship In France -- Masks And All

• Like 3

23 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

"instead of the usual embrace or handshake, look for the new “Windstar Wave” hand signal – a W made with one’s index fingers and thumbs."

So is this with both hands, thumbs touching? A simple "w" like finger spelling would be easier...

If you hold up one hand, and hold up the thumb, middle finger, and pinky to make W you get a whole new meaning to the Windstar Wave🤣

On 7/14/2020 at 3:54 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

This all sounds quite acceptable to me – and very reassuring healthwise.  Not only should it protect against coronavirus, but should help prevent outbreaks of Noro and other ship outbreaks.

Here is an article on Cruise Critic about what sailing under this type of restriction is like.  It's about Ponant, but many parts of their protocol are similar:

Live From Ponant: Sailing on An Expedition Ship In France -- Masks And All

Thank you Jazz....a very interesting article!

All of this increases my confidence in Windstar's being proactive. However, I do wonder how this will work in ports that use zodiacs to get everyone ashore. It already takes quite awhile to get the entire ship to the beach barbecue in Costa Rica. If you can only take 5 or 6 people at a time it may not be feasible if the ship is full.  One thing that was not mentioned is whether the ships will operate at full capacity or whether they will limit the number of guests.

Hmmmm. That is an interesting question. I would doubt that they know the answer at this point. Having such a small capacity to begin with, they will probably sell as many rooms as feasible. Zodiacs could be an issue. They are not used in all places, but are a fun way to  travel ashore. One thing is for sure. They have plenty of time to figure it all out. We just have to be patient and flexible. Lets get back together at sea Windstar!!!

Edited by 2LoveToTravel
Spelling
  • Like 2

Just spent 2 hours on a ferry on the St-Lawrence in Québec. We had to wear mask on the whole crossing. Not Fun. I would not do a cruise were I need to wear mask in public area. I'll use my tent in the backyard instead.

1 hour ago, dandee2 said:

Just spent 2 hours on a ferry on the St-Lawrence in Québec. We had to wear mask on the whole crossing. Not Fun. I would not do a cruise were I need to wear mask in public area. I'll use my tent in the backyard instead.

I agree.  I have problems breathing when wearing a mask for more than a brief time.  Not my idea of a vacation!  We were on a cruise in March (Celebrity)....the last week of their cruising, when we weren't allowed to disembark in San Juan as planned......two days later we we allowed to disembark in Ft Lauderdale.  I'll stay home too, or do more of a local vacation.

Our cruise isn't until October of 2021 (21 nights - NY to San Juan).   I am happy to see what they are doing to make things safe.  I'm not really concerned about the dining because we normally eat on the later side and I don't expect it to be that crowded.  I plan to spend much of the time at the beach(es) so none of this is a big problem (for me).