2021 Alaska SB Inside Passage- Star or Royal

Daisygirl23

Hi there,

We are looking to book a 7 day Southbound Inside passage cruise.  The 2 ships currently listed for the 2021 summer dates we are interested in are the Star or the Royal.

I am new to the boards and have tried to search the forums; i hope this post is OK.  Wondering if anyone has a preference over the Star or the Royal?

Also, we would want either a balcony or a premier balcony. From the forums I've read, it sounds like the Dolphin, Caribe, or Baja Decks would be preferable.

Any balcony recommendations for either the Dolphin, Caribe, or Baja deck?  

Thank you!

We did a RT to Alaska on the Star from SF a few years ago.  Went a few days early to revisit some of our favorite SF sites.  We have also been on the Royal twice (transatlantic & Caribbean).  IMHO the Star is better suited for Alaska than the Royal.  It has the traditional wide and covered promenade deck, which was ideal for Glacier Bay.  The Royal has nothing similar.

2 hours ago, Daisygirl23 said:

preference over the Star or the Royal?

I would be surprised if even one person ( on this board ) would say the Royal over the Star for Alaska 

Lot's of traditionalists who prefer the 'golden days' of the smaller ships with the full promenade deck for viewing 

in Alaska

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

I would be surprised if even one person ( on this board ) would say the Royal over the Star for Alaska 

Lot's of traditionalists who prefer the 'golden days' of the smaller ships with the full promenade deck for viewing 

in Alaska

Small is better in my opinion. Star

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Bailey2010 said:

Royal is lovely and newer but Star for Alaska.

Moot point now because Star has been pulled from Alaska.  This thread is old and since it was started the Star has been redeployed.  I had a Star Alaska cruise booked and we have been moved to the Grand by Princess.  

Since you asked about the balcony a Caribe balcony on Star would be a zillion times bigger than a balcony on Royal.

(Okay, a slight exaggeration but the difference in size really is phenomenal.)

I also agree with others here regarding the Promenade Deck on Star. Being able to utilize that deck for viewing is a big plus.

Edited by Thrak