If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

23 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm not sure what the immunization recommendations will be for people who have had covid.  So far I've read several different opinions. While I think of all the reasons to allow  exceptions to the vaccine requirement rule, people like you have the most legitimate "excuse" to not have to have a vaccination I still believe that in order to get cruises up and running safely from US ports, that the vaccination rule has to apply to everyone.

Once one exemption is allowed, then everyone will want one - and then what is the point?

I'm sure many will argue that everyone should be allowed to cruise as long as they have a negative test when they board - I just don't happen to agree with that.

A couple of people I know who have had Covid plan to take the one dose J&J vacine in a few months. Several articles I have read suggest that people who have had Covid take one dose of any of the vaccines as a booster. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I just read somewhere that Avalon Cruise Line (don't know them) is requiring a vaccine OR a negative test, I think 72 hours in advance

Lovely river cruise company.  We have sailed with them twice in Europe.  Pretty pricey line.  

11 hours ago, life is to be happy said:
On 8/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, PhoenixCruiser said:

this really irritates me... I will not get the vaccine but I don't say anything like that to those that want the vaccine... as it is everyones choice. My thoughts are it would be nice for everyone to be able to enjoy the things in life they love and want to do like holidays, cruising, going out for dinner, meeting friends and family.  it seems on cc some people think the people who don't get the vaccine are selfish ... but I don't think so ... people have various reasons why they don't want to have it. and that is their choice, same as it is yours to get it. however just cos you will have the vaccine and you want cruise lines to refuse those that don't , I think that comment is selfish. I love cruising too and would love to be cruising again but I don't think It will happen due to all restrictions and vaccines... but I am fine with that now as that is my choice

This is not a disease that allows for personal choice.  It is not your choice to make the rest of us unsafe.  It is selfish to refuse to get a vaccine and that is the only way to stop these mutations.  I am so sick of hearing people saying that is personal choice to wear a mask.  That is the height of “Selfish” to endanger others.  I believe and hope that vaccines will be mandatory and you should too!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

A couple of people I know who have had Covid plan to take the one dose J&J vacine in a few months. Several articles I have read suggest that people who have had Covid take one dose of any of the vaccines as a booster. 

Well I hope that is the case.  My son, who is in his 40's, his wife, and kids all had Covid the first part of December.  Taking the one dose J&J makes sense.  Is there a recommended time after having Covid that they are suggesting the vaccine?  Right now in Ohio the governor is freezing priority groups to those over 65 and I imagine that will not change for a while, at least until vaccines become much more available. I've also heard that people who have recovered from Covid will automatically go the the end of the line.  I'm sure that will vary from state to state.

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

This is a big key to what happens with the entire travel industry  - ships, busses, hotels, airlines...all of it. Like I said in a recent reply, 'money talks'...and perhaps sometimes in ways that are not always conducive to the best interests of the average person. 

Here's something else I firmly believe - that covid came along (at least here in the US) at the worst possible time - one in which we were already deeply politically divided and at odds with each other as a nation. It's no secret that we had an administration that expressed a certain level of skepticism as to much of "science" in general (since that word seems to come up often in these discussions), and then the flip side of the coin was present as well in a contrasting segment of the country - resulting in a rather deep chasm between the two. Were either covid or the political situation not present, I truly think that for whichever one remained, it would have been dealt with completely differently. The combination of the two made for, shall we say, completely incompatible 'bedfellows'. One worked independently to exacerbate the symptoms of the other. 

one only has to go back and look at the reaction in the US for H1N1.  Both political and media.  

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

sure...to some as of yet probably unknown length of time...same for the vaccine. There are simply no certainties associated with any of this at present. 

I'm glad to see you agree (from another post) that all this is, is armchair quarterbacking. I guess all we can do is speculate. The longer things drag on, the more I worry that all international travel is doomed. Why do I say that? Because for every possible solution, whether it's masks, testing, vaccines, social distancing, or some combination, there's a chorus of people saying "those aren't 100% effective, people can still get sick." OK, well since we don't live in an ideal world, there's NEVER a 100% foolproof solution to ANY problem. So if our society is going to say collectively that nothing short of 100% guarantees will allow tourism and cruising to resume, they won't. Ever. Not in 2021, 2022, 2023, or ever. If that's the benchmark, then there will BE no more travel. Period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mek said:

No, not  quite 100% but the vaccine was never 100% effective  and those who were hospitalized  - only 16 out of 715,425 is statistically 100%

.... no. No, it's not. You will almost never see any statistician promising you something is 100% effective (or conversely has a 0% chance of happening). When you think of probability in terms of distributions, and just how far the tail of any distribution can stretch, you can see the problem with asserting that something is "statistically 100%".

That doesn't mean the result isn't good... It's great. Doubly so if the number of people who die after vaccination is also reduced from the normal ratio of hospitalizations:deaths (though it needn't be since the vaccination has such a huge impact on hospitalizations). What it does tell us, though, is that the vaccines aren't sterilizing, and it is likely that vaccinated seniors will still be at risk to some degree from the disease, and perhaps at greater risk of being infectious compared to a baseline group of vaccinated adults, too. Only time will tell to what degree, and how true that is for the rest of the population (we just don't know yet without any real world data).

Edited by lizzius

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I read those too, though I think it was after the first shot of one of the mRNA vaccines. Pretty much brought their antibody count up to the same level as someone who had received two doses of vaccine, which is postulated to make their immunity much more durable.

1 hour ago, mek said:

I've also heard that people who have recovered from Covid will automatically go the the end of the line.  I'm sure that will vary from state to state.

I'm not sure how that could ever be verified, and sounds to me like the stuff of facebook rumors. It could be that people who are refusing priority access because of their own perceived immunity to it will no longer have priority access and I think that's fair... If you pass it up once, states should be able to move on to other groups.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lizzius said:

.... no. No, it's not. You will almost never see any statistician promising you something is 100% effective (or conversely has a 0% chance of happening). When you think of probability in terms of distributions, and just how far the tail of any distribution can stretch, you can see the problem with asserting that something is "statistically 100%".

That doesn't mean the result isn't good... It's great. Doubly so if the number of people who die after vaccination is also reduced from the normal ratio of hospitalizations:deaths (though it needn't be since the vaccination has such a huge impact on hospitalizations). What it does tell us, though, is that the vaccines aren't sterilizing, and it is likely that vaccinated seniors will still be at risk to some degree from the disease, and perhaps at greater risk of being infectious compared to a baseline group of vaccinated adults, too. Only time will tell to what degree, and how true that is for the rest of the population (we just don't know yet without any real world data).

Oh for heavens sake, using the numbers from the article you provided,  it's 99.99998% effective in preventing serious symptoms that require hospitalization. 

Edited by mek

1 hour ago, mek said:

Well I hope that is the case.  My son, who is in his 40's, his wife, and kids all had Covid the first part of December.  Taking the one dose J&J makes sense.  Is there a recommended time after having Covid that they are suggesting the vaccine?  Right now in Ohio the governor is freezing priority groups to those over 65 and I imagine that will not change for a while, at least until vaccines become much more available. I've also heard that people who have recovered from Covid will automatically go the the end of the line.  I'm sure that will vary from state to state.

A couple of articles say 60 or 90 days. I am not saying to trust those articles. Right now it is speculative. The thinking on that could change as more data come in. 

2 minutes ago, mek said:

Oh for heavens sake it's 99.99998% effective in preventing serious symptoms that require hospitalization. 

Using rough numbers and assuming the whole population is susceptible would mean in the same time frame 1 out of every 10 oasis class cruise ships would have had a passenger requiring hospitalization from COVID. I don't mean that to be an example of a real world situation as things like differences in age, lengths of time onboard, capacity restrictions, etc. would all have an effect but more to illustrate that when you're talking about many thousands of people even small percentages can be impactful. The point is that even with the vaccines, there will be cases on board and we all need to adjust our thinking away from the tyranny of absolutism.

• Like 2

Just now, Charles4515 said:

A couple of articles say 60 or 90 days. I am not saying to trust those articles. Right now it is speculative. The thinking on that could change as more data come in. 

And that will probably be problem for anyone here in Ohio because I don't see my son and his family being eligible to get the vaccine until late summer - too many people will be in front of him.

Let's hope they start producing a lot more of the vaccines as quickly as possible.

Just now, lizzius said:

Using rough numbers and assuming the whole population is susceptible would mean in the same time frame 1 out of every 10 oasis class cruise ships would have had a passenger requiring hospitalization from COVID. I don't mean that to be an example of a real world situation as things like differences in age, lengths of time onboard, capacity restrictions, etc. would all have an effect but more to illustrate that when you're talking about many thousands of people even small percentages can be impactful. The point is that even with the vaccines, there will be cases on board and we all need to adjust our thinking away from the tyranny of absolutism.

Oh my - tyranny of absolutism?

As you and have I have previously discussed, it won't be up to either one of us to determine what the protocols will be when cruising resumes.  I hope the cruise lines survive and in my opinion is there is one way to reach that goal and you have an opposing view.  Time to agree to disagree.

35 minutes ago, mek said:

Oh my - tyranny of absolutism?

As you and have I have previously discussed, it won't be up to either one of us to determine what the protocols will be when cruising resumes.  I hope the cruise lines survive and in my opinion is there is one way to reach that goal and you have an opposing view.  Time to agree to disagree.

I'm referring to the black-and-white notions that cruise ships must have zero cases of covid onboard in order to successfully return, or that a vaccine offers perfect protection. While it seems your belief about a vaccine requirement is rooted in those two all-or-nothing contentions (and perhaps the thought that it would get you on a cruise ship faster), I wouldn't classify a vaccine requirement in and of itself as an absolutist solution.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lizzius said:

I'm referring to the black-and-white notions that cruise ships must have zero cases of covid onboard in order to successfully return, or that a vaccine offers perfect protection. While it seems your belief about a vaccine requirement is rooted in those two all-or-nothing contentions (and perhaps the thought that it would get you on a cruise ship faster), I wouldn't classify a vaccine requirement in and of itself as an absolutist solution.

Wow - you really don't get it with me.  The only cruise I have booked is for November 2021 and  I have absolutely no desire to book anything before that, so no I'm not anxious to get on a ship faster.

1 hour ago, mek said:

Wow - you really don't get it with me.  The only cruise I have booked is for November 2021 and  I have absolutely no desire to book anything before that, so no I'm not anxious to get on a ship faster.

And I would like to add , the only things that are really important to me is to be with my family and spend time with my 6 year old grandson - the vaccine will permit me to do the things I've missed this past year - sleepovers, picking him up after school, having dinners with my family.

I would trade all future cruises if necessary to be able to do those things.  That is what is important to me - not some silly cruise. 

Edited by mek
  • Like 4

New guidelines released today by Globus, a company that specializes in land tours plus some river cruises.

Notice that there are 3 options.  Seems like a good way to go that would also allow children to go.  BTW, even with all this they are still requiring masks. 

55821A29-8E30-452D-AE60-4EB25E7F7398.jpeg

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, life is to be happy said:

this really irritates me... I will not get the vaccine but I don't say anything like that to those that want the vaccine... as it is everyones choice. My thoughts are it would be nice for everyone to be able to enjoy the things in life they love and want to do like holidays, cruising, going out for dinner, meeting friends and family.  it seems on cc some people think the people who don't get the vaccine are selfish ... but I don't think so ... people have various reasons why they don't want to have it. and that is their choice, same as it is yours to get it. however just cos you will have the vaccine and you want cruise lines to refuse those that don't , I think that comment is selfish. I love cruising too and would love to be cruising again but I don't think It will happen due to all restrictions and vaccines... but I am fine with that now as that is my choice

🐝🐝🐝 happy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

New guidelines released today by Globus, a company that specializes in land tours plus some river cruises.

Notice that there are 3 options.  Seems like a good way to go that would also allow children to go.  BTW, even with all this they are still requiring masks. 

55821A29-8E30-452D-AE60-4EB25E7F7398.jpeg

I wonder how one provides 'proof of recovery'. I've had Covid and I've recovered from it. How do I prove that? Also my understanding is that I could still pick it up elsewhere and carry it. Perhaps our resident medics could chime in on this?

58 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I wonder how one provides 'proof of recovery'. I've had Covid and I've recovered from it. How do I prove that? Also my understanding is that I could still pick it up elsewhere and carry it. Perhaps our resident medics could chime in on this?

I would think if you provided a test that you had it within 3 months ago and is still alive to go cruising, that’s your proof. A friend that caught it and was tested every month for antibodies because she donates blood showed that the antibodies were gone after the sixth month.

• Like 2