With no start in site in North America, ncl should allow refunds on previous fcc

seaman11

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

I think that is definitely true as of today. Not sure I feel this way about decisions made in March, even though I took the cash refund in March,  when the magnitude of the pandemic was still developing.

3/7 was when that Peace of Mind and 48 hr cancel came out for cruises 3/10 on, all the time saying, they aren't cancelling.

In NYC came the half marathon run cancelled for March 15, not far from cruise port. Than there was the talk of those with temps and pre-existing conditions (lung, heart, etc) were not going to be allowed. Than no crowds over 500 were allowed in NYC. Now that's a feat. It was strongly recommended no to cruise. Most people held on as long as they could. But than employees were stepping up and saying NO unless you want to quarantine when you get back. Every day the final week, people on forums & social media comparing notes as to if they should cancel or not. So different from whether they were had to worry about a hurricane interfering.

Friday, March 13, the hammer came down. People who cancelled the day before them got FCC only. I really don't feel it was fair of them to not give the March cruisers ending that weekend the FCC only. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, oregonian123 said:

Also, not everyone had a choice of Cash back for other canceled cruises. I the spring, we received notice that the Sun would not go to Alaska for 2020 and they automatically gave us FCC.

The default is FCC unless you specifically request a cash refund.  I had only a CN deposit, so those just went back into my account.  But that does remind me that I should have gotten a 25% credit on my deposit - I'll have to check on that.

Per the April 13 letter re: cancellation of the Sun cruises to Alaska in 2020:

All guests will receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit worth 125% of the fare paid, which will be valid for a period of one year and can be applied to any future published sailing through December 31, 2022. All future cruise credits will be available April 20, 2020. Additionally, guests who rebook their vacation by April 27, 2020 for any sailing beginning October 1, 2020 will receive a 20% discount off the voyage fare.

' For guests who do not wish to avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of completing the request form at https://www.ncl.com/case-submission/sun-alaska-form. The form will be made available beginning April 20, 2020 and must be submitted by April 27, 2020.

4 minutes ago, julig22 said:

The default is FCC unless you specifically request a cash refund.  I had only a CN deposit, so those just went back into my account.  But that does remind me that I should have gotten a 25% credit on my deposit - I'll have to check on that.

Per the April 13 letter re: cancellation of the Sun cruises to Alaska in 2020:

All guests will receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit worth 125% of the fare paid, which will be valid for a period of one year and can be applied to any future published sailing through December 31, 2022. All future cruise credits will be available April 20, 2020. Additionally, guests who rebook their vacation by April 27, 2020 for any sailing beginning October 1, 2020 will receive a 20% discount off the voyage fare.

' For guests who do not wish to avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of completing the request form at https://www.ncl.com/case-submission/sun-alaska-form. The form will be made available beginning April 20, 2020 and must be submitted by April 27, 2020.

I submitted this same letter, along with the original guest ticket contract (highlighting Paragraph 6b) and an explanation of events to my credit card issuer in a chargeback request. It was approved within 2 weeks and $6100 was PERMANENTLY returned to my Visa card. If you have FCCs and would prefer a refund, NCL's after-the-fact, self-made refund policy is bogus in the eyes of card issuers. Disregard what many on this board that say otherwise. Haters are gonna hate. If NCL goes bankrupt, it won't be from giving refunds to people that deserve them. Don't become a victim of losing thousand$ with nothing to show for it. So, file your chargeback request today with your card issuer, and be sure to post the results here.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, raytamt1 said:

I submitted this same letter, along with the original guest ticket contract (highlighting Paragraph 6b) and an explanation of events to my credit card issuer in a chargeback request. It was approved within 2 weeks and $6100 was PERMANENTLY returned to my Visa card. If you have FCCs and would prefer a refund, NCL's after-the-fact, self-made refund policy is bogus in the eyes of card issuers. Disregard what many on this board that say otherwise. Haters are gonna hate. If NCL goes bankrupt, it won't be from giving refunds to people that deserve them. Don't become a victim of losing thousand$ with nothing to show for it. So, file your chargeback request today with your card issuer, and be sure to post the results here.  

The money is running out? What income do NCL have ? All bookings should be suspended until a date for sailing is approved, people booking now may not sale until 2023 or later!  NCL believers give me evidence they will! You can’t 

7 minutes ago, raytamt1 said:

I submitted this same letter, along with the original guest ticket contract (highlighting Paragraph 6b) and an explanation of events to my credit card issuer in a chargeback request. It was approved within 2 weeks and $6100 was PERMANENTLY returned to my Visa card.

One thing I left out. First, you will need to submit an online "After Your Cruise" feedback comment, where you need to tell NCL you want a refund instead of FCC. Use this link: https://www.ncl.com/about/contact-us#. You will need to copy your text before you hit submit because their email reply will not include your original text.  Submit NCL's boilerplate reply along with the other stuff when you file your chargeback. Card issuer need to see that you asked for a refund, and that NCL denied it.

8 minutes ago, raytamt1 said:

So, file your chargeback request today with your card issuer, and be sure to post the results here.  

From a soul-mate of yours, someone who posted anywhere and everywhere (to the extent that posts were closed and/or deleted) to do a chargeback.  In this particular case, they were due a refund but just didn't want to wait.  Announced multiple times that it was a done-deal - even got a check (never mentioned the 6/24 proviso however).  Kudos because he had the decency to update the outcome. 

image.thumb.png.f47c34d547cd11e0c11b52f32c3ed044.png

People who were not due a refund (they cancelled or didn't apply for the cash during the specified refund period) have also posted that they lost their case, getting notified long after they thought it was over.

Just stating the facts as I've seen them, not expressing an opinion - so no need to get your hackles up and make accusations regarding cheerleading, etc.  Just following your suggestion to post results.

3 hours ago, sammee said:

3/7 was when that Peace of Mind and 48 hr cancel came out for cruises 3/10 on, all the time saying, they aren't cancelling.

In NYC came the half marathon run cancelled for March 15, not far from cruise port. Than there was the talk of those with temps and pre-existing conditions (lung, heart, etc) were not going to be allowed. Than no crowds over 500 were allowed in NYC. Now that's a feat. It was strongly recommended no to cruise. Most people held on as long as they could. But than employees were stepping up and saying NO unless you want to quarantine when you get back. Every day the final week, people on forums & social media comparing notes as to if they should cancel or not. So different from whether they were had to worry about a hurricane interfering.

Friday, March 13, the hammer came down. People who cancelled the day before them got FCC only. I really don't feel it was fair of them to not give the March cruisers ending that weekend the FCC only. 

I must admit that I am happy that my March/ April cruises were with Princess and not with NCL.  On Feb 5 I canceled two cruises in the penalty period with Princess.  I knew that I would lose the deposit on 1 and face a 50% penalty on the other.

I was ok with that.   Then after Princess canceled cruises in March they retroactively eliminated penalties on any cruises canceled on or after Feb 4.  As a result I received all of my money back from Princess even though I canceled before they did.

Not as lucky with another CCL line HAL (lost my deposit).  With NCL the cruises were far enough out not to be in any penalty situation and got the deposit back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

People who were not due a refund (they cancelled or didn't apply for the cash during the specified refund period) have also posted that they lost their case, getting notified long after they thought it was over.

Just stating the facts as I've seen them, not expressing an opinion - so no need to get your hackles up and make accusations regarding cheerleading, etc.  Just following your suggestion to post results.

I fall under the group of people that, according to you, are not due a refund because they didn't request it during a NCL specified time. I guess I was due a refund after all. My card issuer saw right through NCL's scheme, and issued the refund, that is permanent! Question is, "Why do yo care if people get a refund?". You seem to take some form of pleasure in showering despair on anyone's hope to get their money back. People stuck with unwanted FCCs, File your chargeback with your card issuer as I described. It works, and when you get an answer from them, it will be permanent. Don't listen to this hater/fool.

52 minutes ago, raytamt1 said:

This is a good post.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, raytamt1 said:

I fall under the group of people that, according to you, are not due a refund because they didn't request it during a NCL specified time. I guess I was due a refund after all. My card issuer saw right through NCL's scheme, and issued the refund, that is permanent! Question is, "Why do yo care if people get a refund?". You seem to take some form of pleasure in showering despair on anyone's hope to get their money back. People stuck with unwanted FCCs, File your chargeback with your card issuer as I described. It works, and when you get an answer from them, it will be permanent. Don't listen to this hater/fool.

Hmmm - I don't remember saying not to file a chargeback - just that if you do, you do so at your own risk.  And there are risks.  And there are terms of service, which NCL will stand by.  Interesting that you ask for results but when they don't agree with what you are expecting, you take offense.

And FYI, I have used the chargeback process in the past (not for NCL) and I won.  And then I lost when the merchant disputed, long after my credit was permanent.  And I filed an appeal.  And I had proof that the merchant had invalidated the contract.  And I still lost.

11 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Hmmm - I don't remember saying not to file a chargeback - just that if you do, you do so at your own risk.  And there are risks.  And there are terms of service, which NCL will stand by.  Interesting that you ask for results but when they don't agree with what you are expecting, you take offense.

And FYI, I have used the chargeback process in the past (not for NCL) and I won.  And then I lost when the merchant disputed, long after my credit was permanent.  And I filed an appeal.  And I had proof that the merchant had invalidated the contract.  And I still lost.

It was NCL's "terms of service" that led to my card issuer's FINAL decision that refund was due. I don't know what bank you had, or what ducks you had out of row in your filing, but in my case, and others like mine, decision is final when they complete their investigation. BTW, what exactly are the "risks" to filing a chargeback? 

42 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You are lying or misremembering.  Once a credit card company tells you that you have won the dispute, that’s it.  There are also no risks to filing a chargeback in your scenario versus not filing a chargeback even if you were right, which you’re not.  If someone loses the chargeback they’re no worse off than if they never filed the chargeback in the first place.  Keep shilling though.  

13 minutes ago, raytamt1 said:

It was NCL's "terms of service" that led to my card issuer's FINAL decision that refund was due. I don't know what bank you had, or what ducks you had out of row in your filing, but in my case, and others like mine, decision is final when they complete their investigation. BTW, what exactly are the "risks" to filing a chargeback? 

Your bank doesn't investigate when you file a dispute.  They essentially take your word for it (or look at what you've submitted)  when you say you've been wronged and give you the benefit of the doubt. They give you a credit and wait for the merchant to respond. The merchant either accepts the chargeback or denies it.  No need for the bank to do anything else unless the merchant denies the claim.  But if you want to believe that NCL won't respond, then far be it for me to tell you otherwise.

Risks - the most obvious one would be if the claim for cash instead of fcc is denied and you've already spent the money.  Other possibilities are a hit on your credit, bank closes your card, NCL denies you use of that card for any future transactions, NCL bans you from future cruises.  Will they happen - it all depends.  NCL has been known to ban people in the past, hard to say what criteria they would use.  Saw on a different cruise line forum where someone claimed their relative has been banned now because of a chargeback.  Most likely scenario in my opinion is that NCL will block any CC that has a dispute attached.

But I'm sure you and your buddy Fido Chuckwagon will have some not-so-clever comebacks on how I am so misinformed.  Doesn't hurt my feelings.  Just please come back in a few months and fess up if things don't happen the way you say they will like the person in the example I posted earlier.

22 minutes ago, julig22 said:

But I'm sure you and your buddy Fido Chuckwagon will have some not-so-clever comebacks on how I am so misinformed.

Hey, Fido. Apparently, we are buddies, and Julig doesn't think much of your comebacks.

5 hours ago, oregonian123 said:

Also, not everyone had a choice of Cash back for other canceled cruises. I the spring, we received notice that the Sun would not go to Alaska for 2020 and they automatically gave us FCC.

Wrong, I was booked on the Sun to Alaska for a 12 day and cash refunds were offered. You just didn’t read the term and conditions close enough like the other poster noted. 

5 hours ago, oregonian123 said:

7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Wrong, I was booked on the Sun to Alaska for a 12 day and cash refunds were offered. You just didn’t read the term and conditions close enough like the other poster noted. 

Forget  NCL's after-the-fact, self-made refund policy. Take away NCL's control of the refund decision. Do a chargeback request, as I described in this thread, and enjoy watching your credit card issuer rip your money out of NCL's clutching hands and give it right back to you where it belongs. I did, and I gotta tell ya.. It feels AWESOME! Just make sure you come back and do a follow-up post when your funds show up on your credit card to shut up all the nay-sayers.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:48 AM, wolfie11 said:

Not sure if this helps, but the FMC is considering changes to cruise ship deposits 

https://www.fmc.gov/commissioner-sola-proposes-changes-to-fmc-regulations-on-cruise-line-performance-refunds/

https://www.fmc.gov/resources-services/cruise-passenger-assistance/

Or you could try to sic the Cruise Law News guy on them or contact your local legislators if a chargeback doesn't work.

This was an excellent, helpful post from page 1 of this thread! The commissioner of the Federal Maritime Commission basically calls out NCL, and other cruise lines, on their unfair, unethical cash hoarding schemes. He calls for change to the regulations, which are put forward by his agency, to mandate refunds for cancelled cruises and shorten the time to process refunds. It's a long read, but he really calls out the B***-S***, and calls for immediate regulation change. As it relates to chargebacks, I would recommend that anyone that is stuck with unwanted FCCs requesting a chargeback through their credit card issuer to reference the FMC findings that you can find in the above .gov links.

As far as I know, there currently are no regulations relating specifically to cruiseline refunds. But regulators love to regulate. BTW, for the 15 years prior to being appointed to the FMC by the current president in 2018, this guy excelled as a yacht broker/salesman. Would you buy a used yacht from this fellow?

Edited by latserrof

1 hour ago, latserrof said:

As far as I know, there currently are no regulations relating specifically to cruiseline refunds. But regulators love to regulate. BTW, for the 15 years prior to being appointed to the FMC by the current president in 2018, this guy excelled as a yacht broker/salesman. Would you buy a used yacht from this fellow?

The first sentence of your post is accurate. Then you lost me with the rest of it.

What is clear is that there were a number of complaints filed with the FMC by consumers. Enough so that the FMC is looking in to how to make the process better for both parties.