Public Opinion On Cruising

ABoatNerd

17 hours ago, Pinboy said:

" The Canadian provinces get cold but it's not unbearable.." ------- in London, Ontario.

Trust me, -40 is unbearable , except if you are heading to Tim Horton's for a large " double-double " and 4 chocolate dip donuts.

LOL -- I guess nobody got the joke in a recent post-----

" Because Canadians will not be allowed into the USA ( Florida ) next winter , there will be lots of places to stay that will offer 25% discount if you stay the whole night ". 

Where do you live in Canada that it's -40?  My DD was part of an entertainment group performing at the army base in Resolute Bay (very extreme north) and temp wasn't that low;  close but  -36 C low during month of January.  Unbearable means just that.  Parts of Canada will have very cold days (Ottawa comes to mind), but most Canadians are used to the cold.  I sense you know that and being bored,  really like stirring the pot for reaction here on CC.  I bite occasionally.  Joke was kind of immature?  You also seem quite familiar with Tim's and their products....your usual order? twice a day?

18 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Fortunately or 'un-fortunately' the evolution of American English is quite often not kept up with by most of our speakers or wannabe speakers.

Which is fine, just as long as the current usage is understood and accepted accordingly. When I was growing up there was one set of rules for speaking and writing here in the U.S. AND what was appropriate for Southern speakers, generally. Usage is as diverse as there are regions here in the U.S., yet there are some Universal terms and usages of words which have evolved rather I Am current on them or not, words do evolve along with their usage or non-usage.

After all, many Americans do not use the same or similar syntax that our parents were taught, way back when, today.

I usually mix it up between colloquial words/phrases and modern words/phrases and current usage pending on 'the audience'. If I get it incorrect, I apologize and learn the contemporary usage/application.

We do not live in a bubble in terms of language or most anything else, yet we can shut ourselves off from the greater society and its' usage of words and phrases.

At least for language (and other areas of living) it 'ain't' what it use to be or mean...

Each correction can be a very good learning experience or not. The comments were not meant to offend any one post or poster just pointing out usage and current interpretation of U.S. English.

bon voyage

If someone says to me 'urban', I think city, but apparently some would think it's a pointed reflection on a group or lifestyle.  But if it's taken in context I may think music.  All depends. 

Re language....Not sure "syntax is taught"or that we purposely "shut ourselves off from the greater society" whatever that is...... it's 'picked up' naturally.  Our peer group, parentage, surroundings, experience, education are all factors.  Young people put their own flavour into language via music, lifestyle.  Some of these styles prevail, others fade.   Doesn't mean we should all embrace the colloquialisms or even be required to be aware of them if our personal circumstances are such that we're not exposed to these styles of language. 

Why is this even a topic on CC? 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 1:18 PM, oceangoer2 said:

That is just downright nasty but not unexpected.

I seem to remember several Canadians dissin' Americans over the virus.  That sword cuts both ways.

Me, I don't care cause lots of Canadian women are beautiful.  I just hope the NY Governor & Mayor don't chase more NYers to move to  FL for lower taxes and to be closer to the cruise ports. 😁

After reading all the posts in this thread, I had no idea there were so many experts and prognosticators on CC.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

41 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

and being bored,  really like stirring the pot for reaction here on CC

Joke was kind of immature?  

You also seem quite familiar with Tim's and their products....your usual order? twice a day?

" stirring the pot " ?  Who cares what the weather is like where anyone lives ??

Immature joke--- ok, you are correct-- thought it was funny at the time.

Tim's -- again, a little " exaggeration " on my part. 

43 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I seem to remember several Canadians dissin' Americans over the virus.  That sword cuts both ways.

Me, I don't care cause lots of Canadian women are beautiful.  I just hope the NY Governor & Mayor don't chase more NYers to move to  FL for lower taxes and to be closer to the cruise ports. 😁

After reading all the posts in this thread, I had no idea there were so many experts and prognosticators on CC.

I'm not from 'Missouri'...but show me.  I can't find messages that refer to Canadians blaming Americans for the virus...or dissing them for that matter.  Comments maybe, re the prevalence of 'non-masking' and the hoax some believe it to be.  Re Florida non taxes for their residents.......Canadians pay home tax when they own their Florida home, along with all the other revenue they bring to the state, so they should be welcomed.  We stopped our Fl winter after many years enjoying what it has to offer, but when you feel like the uninvited guest from SOME, not all, it was time to sell and move on.  We Canadians know enough NOT to share opinions in the favoured state but it does become like a gag after awhile of being 'dissed' for even being Canadian or having a 'different' opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oceangoer2 said:

Where do you live in Canada that it's -40?  My DD was part of an entertainment group performing at the army base in Resolute Bay (very extreme north) and temp wasn't that low;  close but  -36 C low during month of January.  Unbearable means just that.  Parts of Canada will have very cold days (Ottawa comes to mind), but most Canadians are used to the cold.  I sense you know that and being bored,  really like stirring the pot for reaction here on CC.  I bite occasionally.  Joke was kind of immature?  You also seem quite familiar with Tim's and their products....your usual order? twice a day?

The coldest temperature I ever experienced was --35 F in Haines Junction, Yukon (late December).

I'm always amused when Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland of BC are touted as Canada's "banana belt."  I live in Washington State, just south of BC (and with similar weather), and nobody in the U.S. calls this region a "banana belt." 

Face it -- Canada is a cold country.  Some places are just colder than others.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The coldest temperature I ever experienced was --35 F in Haines Junction, Yukon (late December).

I'm always amused when Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland of BC are touted as Canada's "banana belt."  I live in Washington State, just south of BC (and with similar weather), and nobody in the U.S. calls this region a "banana belt." 

Yep!  Don't need to 'face it'.....we know we're cold in winter, but for the most part we enjoy a lovely (wet) Spring, beautiful summer and very pretty autumn.  Banana belt refers to we (London included as we're more south than most of your northern states) are warmer on average than the rest of the country.  No way it refers to the southern American states or the Caribbean.  BC is wetter and has a more consistent temp than the other provinces.  Here's some interesting fact-based info...

"When they hit the Rocky Mountains, the air gets pushed up forming rain or snow. As the air moves down the slope on the other side, the air pressure rises, which causes warming and drying. This climate can be described as a "rain shadow," or a "banana belt."Feb 20, 2019

"Southwestern Ontario has the warmest climate in all of Canada, that factor, combined with the warm-moist humid air that comes up from the southern U.S. gives SW Ontario one of the longest growing seasons in Canada. Hence the name "Banana Belt".  Thank you southern USA!

14 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

when you feel like the uninvited guest from SOME

with all the other revenue they bring to the state, so they should be welcomed.

'dissed' for even being Canadian or having a 'different' opinion.

LOL-- We have been " teased " as being a " snowflake " , but it's all in fun. 

We have been going to Florida during the winter for many years and have never felt uninvited, probably because we stay at a resort and are among other tourists-- mostly Canadians and Europeans. I'm sure the State appreciates the dollars we bring in.

Your reference to " being Canadian or having a different opinion " --- Yes, there are cultural and political differences everywhere, even in what we read on CC.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

Why is this even a topic on CC?

Just like any other 'topic' someone posts something which piques the interest of someone else and a comment is made, then a comment is made to that comment and on and on....

We can either contribute or ignore or not even think about it and move on to something more 'interesting' as it were...

Sometimes we cannot help ourselves and just have to comment regardless as our views must be made public in support of the original comment or not.

This is how many ships sail... err topics here on CC.

bon voyage

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Well, my parents and grandparents grew up in central Saskatchewan and 40 below was a common story from them. Funny thing -40 is where Celsius and Fahernheit converge. Of course everything is relative isn't it, compared to Resolute Bay Victoria is mild and pleasant. Compared to Nome Alaska Seattle is warm and pleasant, compared to Tuscan maybe not.

• Like 2

Just now, Bo1953 said:

We can either contribute or ignore or not even think about it and move on to something more 'interesting' as it were...

Well said, however, there are some that like to " pick fights " even knowing that a comment was made in jest. 

26 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Well said, however, there are some that like to " pick fights " even knowing that a comment was made in jest. 

There are.  Unfortunately, with the written word it is not always possible to know if someone is making a joke or just being obnoxious.  Sometimes people think they are being funny, but without being able to see their expression and body language it doesn't come across that way.  That's why I sometimes throw in a smiley face emoji (even though those can be even more annoying🙂)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Just like any other 'topic' someone posts something which piques the interest of someone else and a comment is made, then a comment is made to that comment and on and on....

Sometimes we cannot help ourselves and just have to comment regardless as our views must be made public in support of the original comment or not.

This is how many ships sail... err topics here on CC.

bon voyage

True enough.  Judging by the number of your many comments, you choose to participate offering opinions quite often and at length.  Many others do as well...........ergo....we air opinions here on CC whether it be ships or cruising or each other it seems.  I've been on CC many years, longer than the indicated 2008 on my profile - when it was new and required $$s to join and the comments have changed and deepened into something not akin to cruising.  I keep my comment numbers much lower than some....there's many read, not ignored, and some I don't care to respond to as I recognize click bait when I read it.  Only what you and I would consider 'interesting' although, of course being different people we would see some comments in a different light, or sometimes when I'm proud of my heritage and all that goes with it...I read misinformation.  I wouldn't dare to comment on anything I truly know nothing about or feel my participation wouldn't add anything to the conversation, and that covers an awful lot.  I do learn from others here, especially the 'inside info' some seem to have a link to, enjoy the exchanges, see the humour in some, and the pointed 'dis' in others.  It's a good forum for discussion not accusation or 'fun' at others' expense.  That could be kept to inside friends and family, although I recognize many would not feel that way as we really are strangers to each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

There are.  Unfortunately, with the written word it is not always possible to know if someone is making a joke or just being obnoxious.  Sometimes people think they are being funny, but without being able to see their expression and body language it doesn't come across that way.  That's why I sometimes throw in a smiley face emoji (even though those can be even more annoying🙂)

Exactly. I am on a couple of other forums that in their T&Cs state that sarcasm is not allowed for that very reason - you cannot read tone and it can be easy to misinterpret what someone intended as a joke or what is a genuinely good sentiment (early on I mistook @Bo1953’s genuine “Bon voyage!” signature as being sarcastic because other people’s responses to whatever my question (as a new-to-Celebrity cruiser) was had not been super kind; once explained I understood...but that is one example where something perfectly innocent can be misinterpreted based on other experiences).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Exactly. I am on a couple of other forums that in their T&Cs state that sarcasm is not allowed for that very reason - you cannot read tone and it can be easy to misinterpret what someone intended as a joke or what is a genuinely good sentiment (early on I mistook @Bo1953’s genuine “Bon voyage!” signature as being sarcastic because other people’s responses to whatever my question (as a new-to-Celebrity cruiser) was had not been super kind; once explained I understood...but that is one example where something perfectly innocent can be misinterpreted based on other experiences).

Agree.

Can't we all just get along?

- Joel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

p - I concur, even if they chose to not be conscious of the fact that they are doing it!

The easy thing is for them to review their previous personal posts to see the pattern that many others see and get... LOL

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

True enough.  Judging by the number of your many comments, you choose to participate offering opinions quite often and at length.  Many others do as well...........ergo....we air opinions here on CC whether it be ships or cruising or each other it seems.  I've been on CC many years, longer than the indicated 2008 on my profile - when it was new and required $$s to join and the comments have changed and deepened into something not akin to cruising.  I keep my comment numbers much lower than some....there's many read, not ignored, and some I don't care to respond to as I recognize click bait when I read it.  Only what you and I would consider 'interesting' although, of course being different people we would see some comments in a different light, or sometimes when I'm proud of my heritage and all that goes with it...I read misinformation.  I wouldn't dare to comment on anything I truly know nothing about or feel my participation wouldn't add anything to the conversation, and that covers an awful lot.  I do learn from others here, especially the 'inside info' some seem to have a link to, enjoy the exchanges, see the humour in some, and the pointed 'dis' in others.  It's a good forum for discussion not accusation or 'fun' at others' expense.  That could be kept to inside friends and family, although I recognize many would not feel that way as we really are strangers to each other.

o - I truly appreciate your position... and value your input.

bon voyage

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

p - I concur, even if they chose to not be conscious of the fact that they are doing it!

The easy thing is for them to review their previous personal posts to see the pattern that many others see and get... LOL

bon voyage

Message received....mea culpa.....some pointed fingers should be pointed at ourselves.....however, Robbie Burns said it best.....

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!

Or, in modern English,

“Oh would some Power the gift give us, to see ourselves as others see us.”

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Message received....mea culpa.....some pointed fingers should be pointed at ourselves.....however, Robbie Burns said it best.....

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!

Or, in modern English,

“Oh would some Power the gift give us, to see ourselves as others see us.”

There is a song that has a line: one finger pointed forward, four pointed back.... decide which side of the finger you want to be on.

bon voyage

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

There is a song that has a line: one finger pointed forward, four pointed back.... decide which side of the finger you want to be on.

bon voyage

You're not suggesting that you're giving me the finger?  LOL.....I can never find the right finger...DH would manage it better.  I prefer Robbie Burns quotation, there's no choice in it...just a comment on personal review.   Learned it very early in life and try to remember to not be judgemental.  Interesting that those who point sometimes are the ones who perhaps should look to themselves.  As I said in a prior comment....mea culpa....I recognize I have human faults.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oceangoer2 said:

You're not suggesting that you're giving me the finger?  LOL.....I can never find the right finger...DH would manage it better.  I prefer Robbie Burns quotation, there's no choice in it...just a comment on personal review.   Learned it very early in life and try to remember to not be judgemental.  Interesting that those who point sometimes are the ones who perhaps should look to themselves.  As I said in a prior comment....mea culpa....I recognize I have human faults.

o - never, intentionally would I give you the finger... LOL

Te non sunt in culpa, tantum nobis, qui non agnoscere nostra vitia cum contingat!

bon voyage

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

o - never, intentionally would I give you the finger... LOL

Te non sunt in culpa, tantum nobis, qui non agnoscere nostra vitia cum contingat!

Translation:  You are not at fault, only those of us who don't recognize our faults when they happen! 

Took 3 years of Latin (private girls school - mandatory), but word for word my translation of above didn't make sense to me...so Google is my friend as most likely is yours?  Said an awful lot of mea culpa's in my day....mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cl.klink said:

Can't we all just get along?

That's a great idea.

I hope like hell xxx reads your note .  I can't mention names or I'll get the boot.

They know who they are and so do I , accusing me of xxx or throwing that smiling smirk onto comments. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

Actually, it references if one is pointing their index finger at someone else, then there are four (4) pointing back at them...

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

That's a great idea.

I hope like hell xxx reads your note .  I can't mention names or I'll get the boot.

They know who they are and so do I , accusing me of xxx or throwing that smiling smirk onto comments.

Ahhh heck, go for it p name names! LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1