Public Opinion On Cruising

ABoatNerd

A little tiny bit of public opinion on the website of Canada's national CTV news organization this morning:

TODAY'S QUESTION

Should cruise ships be allowed to operate?

Thanks for your vote

Yes

758 (21 %)
No

2779 (79 %)

Total number of votes: 3537

Back to poll
View the latest polls

I voted no.

50 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

What is the time frame?  Never again operate, or when it’s considered safe to operate?  The question is too broad.

Yes, that is an important caveat.

I do, however, think that the responses pretty accurately reflect the sentiment of "would YOU ever cruise in the future?"

2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

A little tiny bit of public opinion on the website of Canada's national CTV news organization this morning:

TODAY'S QUESTION

Should cruise ships be allowed to operate?

Thanks for your vote

Yes

758 (21 %)
No

2779 (79 %)

Total number of votes: 3537

Back to poll
View the latest polls

I voted no.

There is an assumption that they mean " At this time " .

I would vote no , since I just cancelled a 3rd cruise this morning. 

FYI---We had a NRD for $ 200 , yet  they are going to issue a FCC that has to be used by Dec 2021 for a sailing by Dec 2022. 

Also, we can combine FCC's and apply them to one sailing.

I think Celebrity is being very fair with this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

currently N0

2021   No 

2022   Yes

Even if a vaccine is available in January 2021 and it is reasonable effective there will be supply constraints and getting a shot for recreational travel will not exactly be high on the list.  Even if it was depending upon the effectiveness rate and the number of people getting vaccinated the virus will still be present and cruising should not take place until the numbers of new cases indicate that the odd of illness is pretty low. When the vaccines first come out, unless people continue to distance and follow good safety practices (even those that have received the vaccine) you are likely to get counts going up for a while because people will feel that they no longer will need to restrict their activities.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine had covid19 and was hospitalized in South Korea in March.  He just had an antibody test last week, it came back negative.  So if the antibodies are lasting less than 4 months, I don’t know how many times a year we’ll be getting the vaccine.  I think people who feel that there will be a significant portion of the population vaccinated but next summer will be disappointed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, npcl said:

currently N0

2021   No 

2022   Yes

Even if a vaccine is available in January 2021 and it is reasonable effective there will be supply constraints and getting a shot for recreational travel will not exactly be high on the list.  Even if it was depending upon the effectiveness rate and the number of people getting vaccinated the virus will still be present and cruising should not take place until the numbers of new cases indicate that the odd of illness is pretty low. When the vaccines first come out, unless people continue to distance and follow good safety practices (even those that have received the vaccine) you are likely to get counts going up for a while because people will feel that they no longer will need to restrict their activities.

If the cruise lines waited until the time you indicate, there will be no cruise lines in business anymore.  They will more likely need to require a vaccine before boarding, as well as put in place a solid plan for what would happen should someone onboard become infected.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

If the cruise lines waited until the time you indicate, there will be no cruise lines in business anymore.  They will more likely need to require a vaccine before boarding, as well as put in place a solid plan for what would happen should someone onboard become infected.  Just my opinion.

The issue is how long will it before before one, not on the priority list can actually get a vaccine for recreational purposes.  I would expect at least mid to late 2021.  Then figure about 4 weeks after the injection for immunization to be effective,  maybe longer if a two shot process.  

Then you have the relative effectiveness of the vaccine.  Lets say 75%.  So on a ship with 2000 passengers and 1000 crew, you have 750 people still at risk even if all are vaccinated.

A working vaccine is not a panacea, it is an important start of the process, not the conclusion of the process.

Vaccinating the public, needs to be  in addition to the measures of social distancing  to get the numbers down as quickly as possible.  Once the numbers are down low enough that  will make it safe for cruising to resume. 

You might consider a vaccine a necessary, but not sufficient condition in logic terms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

A good friend of mine had covid19 and was hospitalized in South Korea in March.  He just had an antibody test last week, it came back negative.  So if the antibodies are lasting less than 4 months, I don’t know how many times a year we’ll be getting the vaccine.  I think people who feel that there will be a significant portion of the population vaccinated but next summer will be disappointed. 

There are other forms of immunity other than antibodies.

Some of the antibody tests are not very reliable.

It may be encouraging that there are few, if any, reliably documented cases of reinfection - so far.

But we really don't know.

For now (and probably through the end of 2020 at least)  I don't think there is a plan for cruise ships to operate safely.

• Like 1

Did you mean right now? Or ever?

If now, NO. Not until there is a widely-distributed vaccine.

In the long run, YES. But it will be different.

Edited by DrKoob

Guess we should all take Canada off of our travel lists.    They don’t want Americans so I do hope we keep the border closed.   The Canadians can spend the winter in Canada and maybe Florida will be less crowded this winter.   We might even consider a trip down there if the virus gets under control in that state.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Guess we should all take Canada off of our travel lists.    They don’t want Americans so I do hope we keep the border closed.   The Canadians can spend the winter in Canada and maybe Florida will be less crowded this winter.   We might even consider a trip down there if the virus gets under control in that state.

That is quite a wide swath your statement makes concerning Canadians... in terms of 'they'...

I believe, many Canadians like Americans do not want anyone to visit who chooses to flaunt best health practices at this time. As can be supported by many here on CC, as well.

Then again pining for the virus to come under control in Florida anytime soon is a wide swath, as well, based on what we know about how many Floridians (and other states as well) and visitors are behaving.

You might not be able to visit Florida (or other states) for a long time to come given your position or expectation, IMO.

Do not know where you live, but you might not want to leave home if there are flare ups of C-19 in your city/county.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Here are your only other travel options, Albania, DR, Kosovo, Maldives, Mexico, Serbia, Tunisia and Turkey.  All the rest require covid 19 test and or quarantine.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

First sorry about your friend and it is great about their recovery.  But a lot of people express this antibody waning concern.  Is it relevant?  Our full immune response (antibodies and T-cells) to a previous infection might make us highly primed and ready to go into attack mode if the virus is seen again.  That is quite normal.  Also I think that the antibody response from a previous infection might not be the same as a protective targeted immune response from an effective vaccine.  Yes a second vaccine shot might be needed. That is also quite normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

LOL---NO worries .  We are staying home this winter and freezing our " buns " off. 

Rumor has it that because Canadians can't come and support the economy,  there are going to be lots of places to stay in South Florida , some even offering 25% discount if you stay the whole night. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

So we should only travel to locations that are not following smart epidemic control methods.  The US would be far better off if we had implemented strict internal travel restrictions similar to what Australia did. If we had shut down non-essential interstate travel we would be far far better off.

Any recreational travel during a pandemic is not a good idea if you want to stop the spread.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

LOL---NO worries .  We are staying home this winter and freezing our " buns " off. 

Rumor has it that because Canadians can't come and support the economy,  there are going to be lots of places to stay in South Florida , some even offering 25% discount if you stay the whole night. 

I'm headed to the FL Gulf Coast Friday..thanks for staying home.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

Currently booked on a 12-20-20 cruise on another line.  Third booking since April cancellation.  If this one is also cancelled, will be looking to booking something in March/April 2021.  Keeping my hopes up in any event!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Fortunately it is not the cruise lines that will have the final say if they will be allowed to cruise or not.

• Like 1

Public opinion, at this time, seems to be that cruises are floating petri dishes of disease.

It doesn't help that some cruise lines are ignoring the science and sending boats out anyway, just to end up with Covid-19 on board.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

That is just downright nasty but not unexpected.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

That is just downright nasty but not unexpected.

Speaking from my observation there has been many posts lately that are in that category. 

LOL--- Someone a few posts back even gave me a compliment ( ??? ) and thanked me for staying home.  ( LOL ).

• Like 2