Fake, Made Up and Completely Impossible Virtual Cruise Trip Report

Boy, do I remember that trip like it was yesterday! Thanks for taking me back there! DH and I booked the 5-glacier sea plane tour but added the stop at the wilderness lodge for fresh caught grilled salmon! The lodge is only accessible via sea plane. They provided a wonderful lunch with the best salmon we've ever tasted (maybe the atmosphere had something to do with it)! After lunch, we were allowed to stand on the front porch to watch the local black bears see if there were any crumbs left on the grill. The absolute best excursion we've ever taken and I can't wait to do it all over again someday soon, I hope! Definitely not to be missed in Juneau! Thanks again for the outstanding video and beautiful scenery from a higher altitude! Loved it!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JBTCAT said:

When is the best time to do an Alaskan cruise?  I really want to book one!

In short - anytime is the best time. 

It really depends what you are looking for and when you can travel.  There is no bad month to cruise Alaska but different seasons present different opportunities.  The salmon run is later in the season.  Long days with more hours of sunlight is earlier in the season.  Bears are fussy and don't like too much heat or too much rain so some months offer an enhanced opportunity to see one.  In reality though wildlife is just that, unpredictable and wild.  You just never know when you will see wildlife.  

You could stay on a ship for 4 cruises in a row and each cruise would be unique and different.   In this virtual trip I have the luxury of picking through thousands of pictures from cruises in May through September.  

The shoulder season is least expensive (May and September).  If cost is a concern and you can cruise any month, consider shoulder season.  

The biggest lesson I learned when I did my first Alaska cruise was... why didn't I do this sooner?

No matter when you sail, you won't disembark thinking you made a mistake and should have cruised some other month.  

• Like 2

Since it's such a beautiful day let's do something else.  I mean it's a long port day with lots of time to see Alaska so I can't just stop now.

1905OV-559.jpg

The Mt. Roberts Tramway is conveniently located near most cruise piers.

1905OV-560.jpg

1905OV-561.jpg

Edited by twangster

Three ships in port today, so far.

1905OV-562.jpg

Ovation scored the best location on this day.

1905OV-563.jpg

Honorable mention to the Celebrity Millennial.  She was my first ship to Alaska and she got me hooked on Alaska.   I flew past her on the SeaPlane ride as she arrived earlier on this day. 

1905OV-564.jpg

• Like 1

Magnificent views and among other things there are hiking trails.

1905OV-566.jpg

The trails nearest the tramway are easier compared to some that go to the peak. 

1905OV-567.jpg

1905OV-568.jpg

1905OV-569.jpg

1905OV-570.jpg

You can hike up to here from town but it's a serious hike.  Most folks should just pay for the tramway. 

1905OV-571.jpg

Keeping the tradition alive using hand tools only.

1905OV-572.jpg

Lady Baltimore wasn't in her summer home yet on this visit.

• Like 1

As instructed we got out of the helicopter with the blades still spinning above us and went to meet the guides waiting for us there.

Alaska-153.jpg

There were three helicopters that flew in formation and landed together.  Here are two of them

Alaska-154.jpg

The helicopters rose into the sky to get the next wave of passengers leaving us on the glacier with our guides.

Alaska-155.jpg

Alaska-156.jpg

Our guide showed us her “push up” method of sampling the glacier run off water.  Trust me, that water is COLD!  

Alaska-157.jpg

Melt water creates cracks and crevices on the surface of the glacier.

Alaska-158.jpg

From a distance when looking at a glacier you can see dirt streaks where it has scraped along the side of a hill or mountain but up close you get see that moraine trail is full of large rocks and even some very large boulders.

Alaska-159.jpg

• Like 2

Alaska-160.jpg

The state flag:

Alaska-161.jpg

The familiar thump thump thump of helicopters returning told us our time on the glacier was nearing its end.

Alaska-162.jpg

Alaska-163.jpg

Our guides helped us re-board with the blades spinning above us.

Alaska-164.jpg

Taking off we flew towards the front of the glacier and the lake that many people view the glacier from.

Alaska-165.jpg

Alaska-166.jpg

This is not an inexpensive excursion but worth every penny.  I have seen many glaciers in the distance on various cruises and having walked on a glacier and seeing one up close that knowledge and experience came flooding back with every glacier I have seen. 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

At the beginning of the tram video my thought was what is the big deal about just walking up 1800 feet. After getting to the top I had my answer! It also reminded me a little bit of the Captains' announcements on the ships. Those that have no interest in listening to what is being said just keep talking and have no respect for those who want to hear the information being provided.

The helicopter trip to the glacier looked amazing. I mostly cruise to the Caribbean during winter to get warm but this thread has me seriously thinking about an Alaskan cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The helicopter trip to the glacier looked amazing. I mostly cruise to the Caribbean during winter to get warm but this thread has me seriously thinking about an Alaskan cruise.

If you like nature and the natural beauty of things, it is a trip you will never forget, and will probably ask yourself why you didn't go sooner.

I've been learning a new video editing program while at the same time going back to my 2017 videos from the helicopter ride to the Mendenhall Glacier.  This is why I've been delayed posting to this thread.

When I took this excursion I was focused on taking still pictures.  I had a GoPro with me so I strapped it to my head to capture the ride without thinking about ever posting the video publicly, it was just for me use to remember this excursion.   I've learned a lot since then including that a GoPro on your head isn't the best way to capture an experience (I didn't use a GoPro to capture the Five Glacier Float Plane video posted earlier).  Nonetheless the GoPro video of the helicopter excursion is what I had to work with so I've put this video together because I think it does a better job portraying the overall experience compared to looking at some pictures.

This excursion remains one of my top excursions ever and it's something I highly recommend.  Every time I have seen a glacier since the memories of seeing the Mendenhall Glacier up close and walking on a glacier come flooding back.  

I booked this excursion through Celebrity and last year as I monitored pricing of my other Royal Alaska excursions it was priced the same as it was back in 2017.  When it went on sale for several weeks cheaper than what I paid in 2017 I was tempted to do it again but had other plans.  The point is to check your excursions for price drops frequently, you just never know.

With all my excuses out of the way (I'm saving blaming the dog for use later), here is the Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter video:

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

Twangster, love the video! The still photo inserts were great. Brought me back to our ‘07 dog sledding on the glacier. It might have been the single most expensive excursion for us ever, but we both agree it was worth every penny. When planning, we noticed in the HAL excursion pictures the name TEMSCO on the helicopter. We then booked directly with TEMSCO. Saved some money and the other couple in the helicopter booked through the ship and paid more. I’m enjoying this impossible cruise. Thanks for bringing us along.

7 minutes ago, Infowoman said:

Twangster, love the video! The still photo inserts were great. Brought me back to our ‘07 dog sledding on the glacier. It might have been the single most expensive excursion for us ever, but we both agree it was worth every penny. When planning, we noticed in the HAL excursion pictures the name TEMSCO on the helicopter. We then booked directly with TEMSCO. Saved some money and the other couple in the helicopter booked through the ship and paid more. I’m enjoying this impossible cruise. Thanks for bringing us along.

Thanks!  Something I've noticed lately is that cruise lines are buying all the slots on some excursions and you can't always go direct.  There are often different companies that offer a similar experience so it's definitely something to explore.  

I generally acquire some excursions through the cruise line early on so that I have something booked.  Then I start looking around to see what is available from other sources.  When sales occur and if the pricing matches I'll keep my cruise line booked excursions.  If the sales never happen I can always cancel the cruise line booked excursions and go direct.

Alaska excursions are expensive but they are the best way to really experience Alaska.  The helicopter to a glacier with dog sledding excursion is a top priority for my next Alaska cruise season.  The other person coming with me on a future Alaska cruise has never been and this excursion will be an over the top experience for her.  

• Like 1

Awesome virtual cruise, Twangster!

I just about had DH convinced to do Alaska. I was ready to book, then the pandemic hit. So much for Alaska for us, at least for now. I’m glad your virtual cruise has taken us there 😎!  I certainly hope that at some point I’ll be able to get to Alaska to see it in person!

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 1

The video turned out great.  I like the first person view.  I'm not a fan of GoPro's fisheye look with it's normal setting.  I usually switch to narrow mode but I think I'd want to be as wide as possible in a place like Alaska.  I prefer using a DJI Osmo Mobile (I might need to upgrade to the new OM4!) but it's definitely easier to strap on a GoPro and forget it.  Hard to hold a gimbal in one hand and shoot photos with the other.  I also like the shutter sound and photo inlay idea.  Definitely going to borrow that one. 

I ended up choosing Premiere also.  I tried Corel and Filmora but wanted a fewer high end capabilities that they couldn't handle (speed ramping, I think, was one of them).  I don't use Premiere often enough, and definitely don't take full advantage of its capabilities, so it feels like I'm wasting money with the monthly subscription.  I was already paying for the Adobe photography plan (LR & PS) so I just upped to the full creative cloud.  If you're looking for a good source of Premiere knowledge, try Premiere Gal's YouTube Channel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't use Premiere often enough, and definitely don't take full advantage of its capabilities, so it feels like I'm wasting money with the monthly subscription.  I was already paying for the Adobe photography plan (LR & PS) so I just upped to the full creative cloud.

That describes me in a nutshell.  I'm not a fan of the subscriptions but everything I try keeps sending me back to Lightroom for my stills so I used this video to try Premiere Pro.  Bit of a learning curve there but with more use my workflow should improve.  

As expensive as my darkroom setup was 30+ years ago,  Adobe is making this an expensive hobby.  

• Like 1