CDC quietly drops 14 day travel isolation

jimbo5544

2 hours ago, pe4all said:

I am hoping the Florida rate drops quickly, as we have re-scheduled our cancelled Disneyworld trip from May to 4 weeks from now and will not go if NY still demands quarantine on return from Florida.  Will probably have to cancel again.   I know of a few people who recently returned from Florida and did not quarentine at all.  I also know of some that bought a "burner phone" (disposable phone) so they could give that number in the event they were tracked.  They left that phone at home while they went galavanting around, so if the phone was tracked it would look like they were quarentining.   People will find a way to get around anything if they really want to.

Floridas number have been getting better and better, their daily positive rate is well under 8% on a rolling 7 day and all key trends are moving down.  The not so good news is schools are open and the morons we send to college are already brain dead, which will probably reverse all that good.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Floridas number have been getting better and better, their daily positive rate is well under 8% on a rolling 7 day and all key trends are moving down.  The not so good news is schools are open and the morons we send to college are already brain dead, which will probably reverse all that good.  

Ehh, it is what it is. We can only do our best. Hopefully it's over soon enough and back to normal here. Things are getting better, for now.

Edited by xDisconnections

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 7:33 PM, ontheweb said:

There is a large difference between recommend and require.

Agreed. The CDC does not issue requirements, only recommendations. It is up to states and localities to make  (or not)  and enforce (or not)  laws based on these recommendations.

On 8/23/2020 at 3:54 PM, pinto18 said:

My son flew from CA to NYC after they made the requirement of 14 days quarantine with large fines levied...got off the plane..into the city with no questions asked, nothing to sign..

I also know of someone that has flown into and out of NY twice from NC  since this quarantine has been instigated and supposedly enforced. No questions were asked of him at all. Seems the NY authorities would obviously be aware the flight came in from Charlotte NC (a state on the list) but no one seemed to care.

1 hour ago, simplelife said:

Agreed. The CDC does not issue requirements, only recommendations. It is up to states and localities to make  (or not)  and enforce (or not)  laws based on these recommendations.

And for the cruise lines, it is not the CDC that enforces the recommendations; it is the Coast Guard.

• Like 1

After 6 months, dallas dropped shelter in place yesterday, and dropped to high risk.

Tbh I dont see the drop in deaths or numbers from 6 months ago. But we are finally out of shelter in place.

6 months ago 10 deaths a day was unusual. Now many days over 10, 17 in Dallas 2 days ago. I'd like to see deaths under 10 a day, or drop under 5 a day. That's just this county, doesnt include surrounding, tarrant, ft worth, collin right north of me. Etc.

Edited by firefly333

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They were sying people still reluctant to fly and same feeling about cruise lines just this morning on fox.

I do not doubt this.  The number of flights out of JFK have been reduced each day, and some flights have stopped using LGA totally.  Some airlines (American, for example) are doing drastic cut-backs.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/american-airlines-chops-83000-flights-from-its-october-schedule/ar-BB18FCbU

Until covid is under control I do not think the travel industry will recover back to near where it was.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

They were sying people still reluctant to fly and same feeling about cruise lines just this morning on fox.

I will say this. When we flew to the Dominican Republic for vacation in July, the plane was completely full both going down, and coming back. When we flew into Charlotte, there were a million (+/- 7) in line at customs coming in from other flights with us. 

On 8/25/2020 at 2:55 PM, jimbo5544 said:

And Labor Day is coming up so all the visitors can take C19 home with them to compliment the outbreaks because of Sturgis.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:55 PM, jimbo5544 said:

The even better news Here in Florida thru it all , our death rate is low compared to other states and countries .

50 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

And that is the true measure.

But when it comes to letting you get on a cruise, so far what has been happening is a positive test (even a false positive test or a positive by someone on the same bus) might as well be a death sentence as far as the cruise line is concerned

On 9/3/2020 at 9:54 PM, ontheweb said:

But when it comes to letting you get on a cruise, so far what has been happening is a positive test (even a false positive test or a positive by someone on the same bus) might as well be a death sentence as far as the cruise line is concerned

I guess my reply to this is we just do not know that to be true.  Of course a breakout like what happened would be a major setback.  That said, even with the controls currently in place, there is sufficient logic to think what occurred way back in March would not happen again.  What happened was a perfect storm that occurred during the peak of the breakout.   If they start testing before boarding, and other controls, I wold expect the same we see in every day life now.  Do we travel now?  Yes. Do we fly now? Yes. Do we take mass transit?  Yes.   Some choose now to and isolate, which is fine.  Some want to cruise again a nd willing to, all good with me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I guess my reply to this is we just do not know that to be true.  Of course a breakout like what happened would be a major setback.  That said, even with the controls currently in place, there is sufficient logic to think what occurred way back in March would not happen again.  What happened was a perfect storm that occurred during the peak of the breakout.   If they start testing before boarding, and other controls, I wold expect the same we see in every day life now.  Do we travel now?  Yes. Do we fly now? Yes. Do we take mass transit?  Yes.   Some choose now to and isolate, which is fine.  Some want to cruise again a nd willing to, all good with me.

The challenge of policy is what is the best for the larger community/country.  If people choose to do what they choose and accept the risk and get sick and infect others, what is the larger societal cost for this decision ?

Sometimes others need to make the choice, not at all a popular line of thinking in some countries where democracy and personal liberty trumps what is better short-term for the larger society.

Cruising, and other leisure activity fall into that bucket of things to consider regulating or banning.  

13 hours ago, chipmaster said:

No cruising is totally leisure there is nothing essential about it.    

Only to the cruisers.  Try to empathize with the thousands of people who rely on the travel industry to pay their bills and support their family.  An entire industry going under will result in much more than you and your family changing your vacation plans.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dpg9300 said:

Only to the cruisers.  Try to empathize with the thousands of people who rely on the travel industry to pay their bills and support their family.  An entire industry going under will result in much more than you and your family changing your vacation plans.

I used to travel a lot and rather enjoyed the work/perk.  I really enjoy going out to eat and drink and enjoy sampling the wide variety of culture and food to.  

I accept that sometimes things are out of your control and it matters less what you enjoy and what you want to support, but you and your country our humanity need to make the necessary sacrifices. 

Because I like cruising, fly a lot etc. and may even be low risk and not afraid to take the risk doesn’t give me or anyone else the right to be irresponsible for dangerous behavior.

There is some famous line about all men created equal and something about truths self evident and un alienable rights.

I love and want to cruising and vacation but those rights and truths don’t give me the right to partake travel and other activities and behaviors that make other humans  future right at risk.  

i am sympathetic to the airline and cruise line and many others that lost their jobs.  Trust me a larger more widespread pandemic will be far worse for them, and the larger group than somehow rationalizing freedom and individualism now should allow people to choose to travel, cruise, etc. by their own choice.

Their is a reason cruising and international travel and many other leisure activities are restricted 

Edited by chipmaster