The Daily for Friday Sep 4, 2020

richwmn

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

"IJskoud IJs" (Ice cold ice), I always thought in The Hague they only served warm ice 😉 I do remember Jamin Ice Cream 🙂 We had a shop within walking distance on the "Overtoom" (street) near the "Vondelpark" where you could get "Dubbeldik van Jamin," two big waffles with vanilla ice cream in between, Great memories of growing up

Was the favourite of my husband in our youth. Pity that Jamin does not produce and sell thos waffles with ice (and a layer of chocolate in my memory) anymore.

• Like 5

When I was two (1956) we had Hedlin's milk delivered to my little town of Algonquin, Illinois. I made it down our steps, opened the metal box, picked up the half gallon of milk and dropped it on my foot where it immediately broke. I split my baby toe in half. My mother wrapped my toe in waxed paper. We didn't have a hospital nearby, so my mom took me to the doctor's office and we waited til it opened. I got stitched up and today I have 2 nails growing on my baby toe. @Himself  Father, I know you know where I grew up. Did you also have Hedlin's milk?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, I think Chinese is the plan for dinner tonight with wine.  Two years ago we returned to Charlottetown on our way back home.  Also, never forget happy hour, especially on a holiday weekend.

CCFAC588-4C39-45B9-BA94-6E8177DED1C8.jpeg

06A4C36E-DA08-454A-92BE-CE15D5146964.jpeg

What a great cruise that was.    

Canada New England.JPG

Falcons 2.JPG

Falcons.JPG

• Like 5

Good Afternoon.

It has been a long day without much accomplished.

I have enjoyed the various stories about door to door delivery of days gone by.  I remember the milkman and the drycleaners coming to the door when I was much younger.

Tonight it will be roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for us.

107615832_10222841835699656_4100130539258126552_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7SS8N7a6H3kAX--XYfj&_nc_oc=AQl9lotQTbmhUR4csKGkfFiWJTIChFDrouUaNwFCzycmTg3nCy-_xvtZKTIjC3sK-JU&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=b1585add1a34e1893dc24c5afc2fe7f6&oe=5F790127

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

We had a bread man along with our newspaper boy and milkman - and mail delivery twice a day. Small town. 😄

We had Helms Bakery come by once or twice a day. They delivered via very specific trucks and had a special whistle. As grammar school kids and Brownie Scouts we got to go on a tour of the bakery several times. They always gave us a small loaf of bread and a doughnut.

Just looked it up because I was wondering where it was. Turns out it was Culver City- quite the jaunt for our school busses to take us from Whittier.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

What happy memories in my reading today.  My dear Father-in-law was a milkman in Chicago.  His milk wagon was pulled by a horse.  That was in late 30’s to 40’s.  He told some great stories.

It is still warm here, but a cold front coming by Tuesday and temps will drop by 30 degrees or more.  Snow on the Front Range is predicted.  What else can 2020 bring—guess strange weather is the norm for now.

Prayers for all in need, and best wishes for celebrants.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

When I was two (1956) we had Hedlin's milk delivered to my little town of Algonquin, Illinois. I made it down our steps, opened the metal box, picked up the half gallon of milk and dropped it on my foot where it immediately broke. I split my baby toe in half. My mother wrapped my toe in waxed paper. We didn't have a hospital nearby, so my mom took me to the doctor's office and we waited til it opened. I got stitched up and today I have 2 nails growing on my baby toe. @Himself  Father, I know you know where I grew up. Did you also have Hedlin's milk?

I did not have it but I lived in Chicago where we hs Bordon Milk and Deans Milk and Hothorne Melody.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Do you live in Mesa? I worked for Hughes Helicopter/McDonnell Douglas/Boeing at Falcon Field from 1983 to 1998 (started in Culver City Ca in 1979) when we retired. We lived up at Superstition Mountain about 1/2 mile from Mining Camp restaurant and Goldfield.. 

Yes, I live in East Mesa very close to Apache Junction. On clear days I can look out my kitchen window and feel like I should be able to touch Superstition Mountain although it is several miles away. You may have known my sister-i-law. She worked for Boeing at Falcon Field for many years before she retired. If you are interested in chatting please email me at themanginos@cox.net. Be sure to identify yourself as Seasick Sailor so I don't delete it unintentionally.

15 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We had Helms Bakery come by once or twice a day. They delivered via very specific trucks and had a special whistle. As grammar school kids and Brownie Scouts we got to go on a tour of the bakery several times. They always gave us a small loaf of bread and a doughnut.

Just looked it up because I was wondering where it was. Turns out it was Culver City- quite the jaunt for our school busses to take us from Whittier.

I remember the Helms Bakery trucks from when I lived in Covina, many many years ago.

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 1