The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

47 minutes ago, Renmar said:

The winery might be in Germany but is the owner German, that is the question??

Theo

Is this a hint? Is “that is the question” a literary allusion? Are you referencing Hamlet’s soliloquy? Perhaps the winery is German but the owner is Danish?

Edited by dogs4fun

The precision of the winery suggests (to me) that it's Swiss, maybe? Have never toured any wineries there, though.

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

Is this in NY?

Yes, there are some amazingly beautiful places to see here. While we're stuck, we are trying to discover them. This is on the grounds of the Mohonk Mountain House, near New Paltz, NY. 

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yes, there are some amazingly beautiful places to see here. While we're stuck, we are trying to discover them. This is on the grounds of the Mohonk Mountain House, near New Paltz, NY. 

Stunning!

5 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Is this a hint? Is “that is the question” a literary allusion? Are you referencing Hamlet’s soliloquy? Perhaps the winery is German but the owner is Danish?

It is a nice thought to suggest that I would  be referencing Hamlet, thanks. I never even knew about Hamlet until later in life because it was not part of our mandatory reading when I went to school. Anyway, I was just refering to the possibility that the company could be German but the owner not.

Theo

If I may be so bold and come up with an outlandish guess. In the Bordeaux region I have read some chateaux have been taken over by Asians. It looks like an old cellar, too. So I think this is in France but the owner is Chinese.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

If I may be so bold and come up with an outlandish guess. In the Bordeaux region I have read some chateaux have been taken over by Asians. It looks like an old cellar, too. So I think this is in France but the owner is Chinese.

notamermaid

May I be even bolder and leave your whole suggestion in place but change the nationality to British.

Theo

Spot on Notamermaid, this place was so over engineered it was frightening even the grounds were manicured to within an inch of its life. Here is what they produce selling at Fortnum's for almost £60.00 a bottle. I remember not being to impressed at the tasting.

image.thumb.jpeg.97555a5746f2c0e4396f754bcdcfc240.jpeg 

your turn Notamermaid. CA

Edited by Canal archive

4 hours ago, Renmar said:

It is a nice thought to suggest that I would  be referencing Hamlet, thanks. I never even knew about Hamlet until later in life because it was not part of our mandatory reading when I went to school. Anyway, I was just refering to the possibility that the company could be German but the owner not.

Theo

Apologies - thought that you already knew the answer and were providing an obscure clue as to the nationality of the winery owner. Guess I was overthinking. 😏

That Japanese company does seem to be appealing to the top end market of food and drink buyers and not just because they sell at Fortnum's.

42 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I remember not being to impressed at the tasting.

Sorry to read the wine tasting did not live up to expectations in quality. I find the price range 10 to 20 euros a good bet, I can get some good stuff in that price range. But to be honest, for drinking with a meal of beef on a Saturday or Sunday I am just as happy with my standard French red wine from my local supermarket - about 3.99 euros a bottle. Pleasant local German wines, by the way, are between 6.00 and 10.00 euros a bottle. I know the taxes make the wine a bit more expensive in Britain.

Right, here is another deviation from the standard request of "river and town, please". In this photo I am on my way to a place that is a river cruise excursion but it is unlikely that you have ever been there on your river cruise. Please tell me which country I am looking at (the one you can see in the photo) and which one I have my back to. I am not on land but I am not on a river cruise ship. There is a clue in the photo:

668041925_5_10.20082003-Kopie.thumb.jpg.c69a923d8d5fa95b11f53d0469f79ac3.jpg

notamermaid

France in front of me, correct. Behind me is one of the two other, I have indeed just crossed the border but to which country? Choose the right one and the prize will be yours. Oh - this last sentence sounds like something out of an adventure Hollywood blockbuster. Has anyone said this to Indiana Jones I wonder? Grin.

notamermaid

29 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Hmmm? 50-50 chance of getting this right.  Germany?,  no, Switzerland!   Yes, No?

Germany,  final answer!

I'll take the other one, Switzerland 😁😁. I know, it's not fair.

Theo

Edited by Renmar

Yes, you have chosen well! :classic_smile: Germany it is.

The village in the photo is called Rhinau, South of Strasbourg, the village behind me is called Kappel and I am on the Rhenanus ferry. The village is actually not directly at the river, on the German side the ferry port is in a nature reserve. What is a little unusual at this spot is the river landscape. This is a photograph of upstream:

1670852796_5_10.20082001.thumb.jpg.6ae7388c22b4244385dfbbcf988bdfb4.jpg

On the left is the nature reserve with entry to a lagoon, the middle shows the Rhine, i.e. the river itself, on the right is the Grand Canal d'Alsace, which all the ships use. That leads along the river for many kilometres and at Rhinau it meets the Rhine.

I took a trip to the Europa Park theme park at Rust (that is nearby) in the Autumn of 2008. Europa Park was a popular river cruise excursion for the family cruises of A-ROSA, I do not know if they offer that this year.

We went in October and they went crazy - for me overboard - with the Halloween theme. I have never seen so many pumpkins in my life! This is a street:

2118151550_5_10.20082009.thumb.jpg.9a1c408ffe2a8c5c2e2c948437eeb924.jpg

We stayed overnight, there are several hotels within the complex. This is the view from the hotel room, after the park had closed for the day:

275444249_5_10.20082016.thumb.jpg.d8167caf468995ef9397a546c991d5c6.jpg

Over to you @Ritabob.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid