Marina Dec cruises canceled?

SVBing

See the post that right is just above this one (Our cruise officially cancelled).  Several people who responded also had December 2020 cruises cancelled.

Well, that post just above yours until I answered ...

Edited by Mura

We received the following EMail from Oceania on Oct 9.  Maybe some have not received this since they booked through a TA.

CALL 855-OCEANIA (855-623-2642)  FIND A CRUISE  |  REQUEST A BROCHURE  |  VIEW AS A WEB PAGE
Oceania Cruises
Hero

Invoice Number: ......

Dear .............

Recently, we made the difficult decision to cancel your planned voyage aboard Marina on Dec 19, 2020. We share your disappointment and regret that we are unable to provide you with the travel experience you had been dreaming of.

While we are processing a refund for all deposits or payments made on your reservation, we would like to take the opportunity to present you with some future travel recommendations. If you wish to book a similar or identical itinerary for late 2021 or early 2022, we encourage you to review the suggested alternate voyages listed below. 

If you choose to re-book on one of these cruises, or any of our 2021 or 2022 voyages,you’ll receive even greater value as all of these voyages are part of our recently launched Ultimate Sale which features major price reductions. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us or your preferred travel professional.

On behalf of the entire Oceania Cruises family at sea and ashore, we look forward to showing you Your World, Your Way.

Warmest regards, 

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President of Guest Services 

Edited by dj_crusin

I think there is a possibility that there has been a miscommunication.  As most of us know, a cancellation is imminent when we see a cruise suddenly go from some availability to all wait-list.

The December Marina cruise is still on the website, and still showing open categories.  

I'm not saying the cruise is a go, just that someone may have jumped the gun before someone else at O decided for sure to throw in the towel.

• 2 weeks later...

We can first get by the issue of senior NCL/Oceania management having any integrity. The Regatta is docked, in Astoria, until next Spring and they won’t/haven’t cancelled even its December Australia cruises.

To the point of the Marina, it’s looking grim! Pursuant to one seemingly knowledgeable website of a local in Argentina, the government’s plan there is to re-open travel, for citizens only starting around 1December, which starts their summer months. Then not reopening for international tourists until February or March, the end of summer. Official word isn’t expected until late next month, but if this is correct it pretty well blows Marina’s current schedule out of the water until March. It will then become a decision on whether to sail her back empty for the TA or just resume sailing with her European schedule as allowed.

It looks as if we’ll know in the next several weeks, regardless of any announcements from FDR. I don’t see them sailing to Lima if they can’t continue on past that.

Edited by pinotlover

As of today, Marina is still in Genoa, Italy alongside Nautica. What does that tell you? I doubt either ship is moving anytime soon, they have no place to go. O might just keep them in Europe to resume cruising there next year if European cruises happen. I'm scheduled to be on Marina Aug. 29 for a 10 day Baltic itinerary.

It would be more cost effective to stay put than sailing around empty.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We can first get by the issue of senior NCL/Oceania management having any integrity. The Regatta is docked, in Astoria, until next Spring and they won’t/haven’t cancelled even its December Australia cruises.

It has less to do with lack of integrity and more to do with greed and financial survival at a price.  They'll cancel all December cruises this week or next now that all December sailing dates are within 60 day final payment period.  Rinse and repeat for coming months as has happened with with prior months. They have to keep the Ponzi scheme going.

Of course those cruisers who have not canceled outside of 60 days for a full refund are taking advantage of the situation too as most want the 25% bonus added to their FCC.  This is an expensive way of financing for O as they have to give 25% credit of FCCs AND pay commission on all TA bookings, both FCCs and cash refunds.  Financial survival is a big motivator for O and gaming O's system for personal gain is a motivator for cruisers.  While that may sound cynical, I only meant it as the raw truth. 

Edited by Fam_Cruise

FWIW, I’m hopeful we might sail.

FM Cruise;

So to not appear greedy, and to save Oceania mgt the 25% which cruises and for how far out are you advising cruises to cancel for and request the return of deposits? You think people should cancel everything now through April or May? Is that a better deal for O?

Sorry you thought there was something between the lines, but I'm not advising anyone of anything. As for your second question, my opinion for anyone who has a cruise booked in April or May is, if the want to cancel then cancel and get your refund and if they want to cruise then wait and see if it happens.  And for your last question my answer is I don't know, and that question would be better answered by O.

For full disclosure I have a cruise booked for December and am gaming the system awaiting its cancelation.  For next year I don't have anything booked until September and October as I personally chose not to book anything until then hoping that cruising would be back to normal.  I will end up canceling those two cruises if it's only O's shore excursions allowed and then do a land based trip instead.  I do more land based travel anyway, so dropping cruises is no big deal as I can always do some in subsequent years. Of course right now I'm not doing any travel. ☹️

Edited by Fam_Cruise

1 hour ago, msears101 said:

What will you do if your cruise in December actually sails?

LOL it won't.  Regatta is in Astoria until April.  Kind of impossible to sail from Bali if it's in Astoria.  Not to mention Australia is closed until at least December 17.

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

We were on the Marina Rio to BA cruise in February 2020.  We are also scheduled for the Marina Baltic Cruise on August 29, 2021.  We greatly enjoyed the Rio to BA cruise but the ship was in need of refreshing and updating.  The drydock scheduled for Spring 2020 did not occur.  Does anyone have any information as to whether or not any work is being done the Marina while in port at Genoa?  An additional year with minimal maintenance would only further the need for upgrades and refurbishment!

8 hours ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

We were on the Marina Rio to BA cruise in February 2020.  We are also scheduled for the Marina Baltic Cruise on August 29, 2021.  We greatly enjoyed the Rio to BA cruise but the ship was in need of refreshing and updating.  The drydock scheduled for Spring 2020 did not occur.  Does anyone have any information as to whether or not any work is being done the Marina while in port at Genoa?  An additional year with minimal maintenance would only further the need for upgrades and refurbishment!

Marina's next scheduled dry dock will be in mid-May 2021 in Marseille, France.

Marina's 12-night voyage on 12th-24th May 2021 has all categories waitlisted, so it would probably be cancelled so that the ship will go into drydock instead.

I was on Marina in Sept of 19, boy she sure went downhill fast as I thought it was in great shape at the time. 

What in particular did you find so in need of refreshment?

43 minutes ago, ORV said:

I was on Marina in Sept of 19, boy she sure went downhill fast as I thought it was in great shape at the time. 

What in particular did you find so in need of refreshment?

I agree

she did not look that bad   April 2019

but we did not go looking for every nick & scratch

she did have a broken glass panel  and the awning was ripped off in the storm  but I  am sure that was fixed soon after arriving in the UK

CIMG0067

broken glass panel  from the storm

Dear CW and ORV:

First, thank you for the Marina drydock update.  Regarding my comments on needed refurbishment, I did not say that Marina was in bad shape but rather needed some updates and refreshing especially if it "sits" with minimum upkeep for a year!  Areas that need attention include public area carpets, cabin carpets, the Terrace cafe  (tables, chairs and décor) and the Culinary center.  I look forward to sailing on the Marina in August.  Additionally, the  service and staff were  excellent.

Joel Barry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear CW and ORV:

First, thank you for the Marina drydock update.  Regarding my comments on needed refurbishment, I did not say that Marina was in bad shape but rather needed some updates and refreshing especially if it "sits" with minimum upkeep for a year!  Areas that need attention include public area carpets, cabin carpets, the Terrace cafe  (tables, chairs and décor) and the Culinary center.  I look forward to sailing on the Marina in August.  Additionally, the  service and staff were  excellent.

Joel Barry

All of their ships have been sitting  for several month  but  they do have crew onboard  so cannot see  that they would deteriorate that much

JMO

Personally, I agree that Marina could use some soft goods updating at the least.  I was on her Dec 19, and (for instance) the tops of the chairs in Horizons lounge had the color in the pattern worn away from being grabbed and dragged.  A lot of the seating needed the cushions replaced, including in the cabin.

They've got to refresh the upholstery every three years.  That's just life.... from constant use.

There was no indication anywhere that maintenance was lacking, everything was painted and everything was kept clean and scrubbed.  Would worn upholstery keep me from sailing on her if the condition is the same when we (doubtfully) board her in June 2021?  NOT AT ALL.  We want off this farm we've been marooned on for 10 months.

• Like 5

On 11/2/2020 at 1:20 PM, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

We were on the Marina Rio to BA cruise in February 2020.  We are also scheduled for the Marina Baltic Cruise on August 29, 2021.  

Cape: I am also scheduled for Marina Aug. 29, 2021. I had a roll call going and many shore ex planned for this cruise that was to have been last June. Please email me direct your information as I plan to get started on the organizing the same private shore ex for next year's cruise as soon as it looks like it will happen.

susiesan8 at gmail.com