Canadian travelers may be banned from EU

DaveSJ711

According to Bloomberg News, the EU plans to remove Canada from its list of countries whose residents may visit the bloc.  The U.S. will remain blacklisted, which is no surprise given the recent surge of Covid cases.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-20/eu-may-shut-door-to-travel-from-canada-allow-singapore-visitors

No surprise.   Some provinces are entering the 'danger' zone.  Would not blame them a bit.

It is a privilege to enter or to visit other countries, not a right. 

If they decide blacklist Canada I can completely understand why.

The numbers where we live in western Canada are on the verge of moving into what our public health experts are calling the danger zone.  Yesterday we had a man in his 20's die from covid.    We had 49 cases from a recent wedding.  Just heard on the news that 70 people attended that wedding ( I assumed that it would have been a larger attendance). 

The health authority now has a huge task of doing contact tracing on those 49 people followed by testing, re-testing, and self isolation.  This is how it spreads.   Just imagine what it would be like for a gathering of thousands of people with NO contract tracing.   This provides some understanding of exactly why the numbers are ballooning in some areas.

If I were the EU I would pull the plug and ban Canadians for the time being.  Why on earth take a chance?    Some provinces/areas are doing much better than others but the EU or any foreign country can hardly break it down by where one lives in Canada.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Given what is happening in the EU with a surge of COVID cases it might be justified to ban anyone from the EU.  Oh my, why not just ban everyone from everywhere in the world.  This seems to be the latest strategy.  And how is it working for you?

Hank

• Like 1

Back in the good old days of July, the EU’ list of ‘epidemiologically safe’ third countries was based on the number of new covid cases in the preceding 14 day period for 100,000 individuals.  At the time, the EU’s number was about 15 and the list included a number of countries below 18 or so.remains unchanged from July.  I haven’t found much reference to this measuring stick in any of the news articles addressing Canada’s ouster from the ‘white list’.  Maybe it’s because the EU has quietly abandoned their criteria for the list.  Here is a sample of the latest numbers from the ECDC; note that Germany’s number is about the best in Europe and Canada is about the same.  Seems to me the EU is simply circling their wagans for the time being and hardening up the borders for a bit.0AA58BB9-423E-4BA9-935D-D8D2D3A32C21.thumb.png.b970011158061760d5b4b06e088b10ea.png

Whilst the EU can recommend, I believe each state can make its own decision.

Here is a worldwide list of countries  accepting Canadian tourists.

Some like Denmark have conditions - in that case you have to stay for 6 days

so not much good for cruise visitors.

I dont follow the list but it was last updated  week beginning 11 Oct

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-that-have-reopened-for-canadian-tourists/

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

At least they can't blame the US for their surge. Everyone else does. lol

Hi

Yes. No question, our surge is our surge. The reality is that even with the "surge" in this country, if you compare new cases with most EU countries (taking population into consideration) we are at only a fraction of the cases they are getting now. Pretty much the only reasons Canadians are travelling abroad is because they have to. The town I live in (granted, doesn't have a large population) still hasn't had a confirmed case, and we have a fairly large nursing home/retirement residence in town as well. I'd say I feel pretty safe here, it's only when I go somewhere else that risk rises. 

As far as EU, they aren't allowed to enter this country without restrictions. Nobody can. 

9 hours ago, K32682 said:

It's unfortunate that all Canadians will be affected when much of the current surge is centered mostly in specific neighbourhoods in the major cities of two provinces. 

I agree

We are in modified lockdown because some areas in the GTA  are high in Covid cases

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Given what is happening in the EU with a surge of COVID cases it might be justified to ban anyone from the EU.  Oh my, why not just ban everyone from everywhere in the world.  This seems to be the latest strategy.  And how is it working for you?

Hank

Yep - this seems to be the case everywhere.  What Europe shows me is that until such time as a vaccine exists and is widely distributed, a relatively free and mobile society is just going to start having the disease start spreading again.   

The fact that Europe isn't shutting down with case rates 3 or 4 times higher than the previous limit suggests the governments there have decided to live with it.  Staying locked up indefinitely in the basement doesn't work for societies at large from my perspective.

Al menos mi segundo pais todavia me quiere! 🙃

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

The fact that Europe isn't shutting down with case rates 3 or 4 times higher than the previous limit suggests the governments there have decided to live with it.  Staying locked up indefinitely in the basement doesn't work for societies at large from my perspective.

Ireland is locking down for six weeks as of tomorrow (Thursday).  https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/10/20/925811935/ireland-to-impose-six-week-national-lockdown-estimates-150-000-job-losses