Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

On 2/28/2021 at 4:35 PM, ellie1145 said:

I won’t mention that other couple, who now live in a luxurious mansion in California and who attack the press at every opportunity whilst courting publicity and telling the world what a hard time they have had........🤔🤣

I find this comment to be offensive and don't think it belongs in this forum.

8 minutes ago, norcalcruzr said:

Apologies, it was meant to be tongue in cheek. I did not mean to be offensive. 

Edited by ellie1145
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:26 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

On a land trip to Hawaii Island, I also took a helicopter ride over an eruption.  It was the last flight of the day so they took the doors off (not my idea of fun).  You could feel the heat even from high above.  This is an "old" eruption (July 2009).  It wiped out Royal Gardens.  The pilot commented that by the morning run, that house would be gone.  Then we flew over the ocean to see the lava flow into the ocean.

Summer 2009 pictures 205.jpg

Summer 2009 pictures 211.jpg

into the ocean.jpg

What an extraordinary flight that must have been, to see the volcano so close. Amazing views of the lava.

Were you at all nervous? 

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 8:47 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

This is for Ellie.  A taste of the show on the Ruby that you missed while drinking your Mai Tai's at the Luau.

Thank you so much crv8tiv1. I am so sorry we missed this. It looks wonderful. The girls are so graceful. What a lovely thing for Princess to do. 

On 3/1/2021 at 8:54 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Welcome to Kauai (Nawiliwili Harbor).  I always love seeing this point when entering the harbor.  It is a very tight turn and am amazed how the captain is able to make an S turn to get the ship docked.  

2114855219_Kauailighthouse.thumb.jpg.fdc2b04e97cd6176f4c83b975c6b0a31.jpg

I had friends who drove me around the island.  IF...I had known...I would have toured the Hōkūle'a too.  http://www.hokulea.com/voyages/our-story/

Hokulea.thumb.jpg.c1320d3c125939cfe3d75867b028af7d.jpg'

Thank you for that beautiful photo of the entrance to the harbour. We didn’t see that and our views from our obstructed outside cabin were generally very poor, so thank you so much for showing us. 

Thank you also for the link. I enjoyed reading about the voyages. How sad that they lost their crew member in that way. 

On 3/2/2021 at 3:28 AM, ringers0815 said:

Our daughter is also in her 38th week of pregnancy. She lives in the Czech Republic and we have not been able to see for one year now because of covid. We have been worried because covid cases are growing rapidly now in Czechia. Her husband lost his grandfather to covid a few weeks ago and now her father-in-law and his wife are both sick with covid. She is doing well despite all these challenges. She has had excellent prenatal care and everything is going well. We won’t be able to travel to see her and the baby until they lift travel restrictions. I can’t wait for this pandemic to be over!

I wish your daughter well, and hope she is delivered safely. You must worry being unable to see her, especially with the devastating effects of Covid. How sad her husband has  lost his grandfather. I do hope her FIL and MIL recover soon. 

Glad to hear she is doing well. Our daughter is going through a very difficult time. We just don’t know how things will pan out. 

I do hope that you get to see your daughter and the new baby soon. Do let us know how she gets on, please. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 6:48 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes.  A "halau" (hula school) would come on board for an early show (usually only one).  It included a back up group, ladies, and keikis (children).  When Dave Cole was the CD, he would bring on Maunalua, a musical group.  

It’s great when Princess put on a show like this. We once had a similar experience when in the Mediterranean, and a local dance and song group was brought onboard. It was a lovely experience and great to see a bit of the culture at firsthand. 

Thank you for sharing that video. I really enjoyed it. 

Edited by ellie1145

12 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Seeing a little bit of Kauai is just what I needed today after getting news that our British Isles cruise has now been cancelled!  Your virtual cruises continue to be the only cruising we have these days!

Sorry to hear the BI cruises have been cancelled for this summer. Now I am starting to think our November B2B2B, Med and TA  could be cancelled as well.

Thank goodness Ellie is taking us along on her virtual cruises. And right now with snow and cold temperatures here, Hawaii is the perfect place to cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ellie,

Hope you don't mind sharing your taxi this morning in Kauai. On one of our visits here, DH and I took a taxi  just as you are doing today.When we returned to the port, we walked over to the Marriott  Hotel on Kalapaki Beach. The gardens here were well worth the visit.If I remember correctly, the hotel was built around the Botanical Gardens which made for a beautiful setting.

Gail

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

I wish your daughter well, and hope she is delivered safely. You must worry being unable to see her, especially with the devastating effects of Covid. How sad her husband has  lost his grandfather. I do hope her FIL and MIL recover soon. 

Glad to hear she is doing well. Our daughter is going through a very difficult time. We just don’t know how things will pan out. 

I do hope that you get to see your daughter and the new baby soon. Do let us know how she gets on, please. 

Thank you Ellie. Her baby has decided to show up early! She is now in labour in the hospital. We are anxiously awaiting news.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2021 at 8:35 AM, AF-1 said:

so was this show at night in the theater?

Those pictures are from the princess theater. Even though I wasn’t on the ship I know it’s the stage in the princess theater.  The princess theater that’s where they do the shows when they’re in Hawaii. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 7:41 PM, ellie1145 said:

My daughter had a healthy baby boy early this morning. Both she and the baby are doing well.   I hope all goes well with your daughter.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ringers0815 said:

My daughter had a healthy baby boy early this morning. Both she and the baby are doing well.   I hope all goes well with your daughter.

What wonderful news! You must be so thrilled and relieved. Congratulations to your daughter, and to you and the rest of the family. So glad all went well. 

Let us know what the baby is called won’t you? 

• Like 1

Our Ohana is growing.  Congratulations on the new addition.  We really do have to take a cruise together.  It feels like "home" when I visit this site.  2022 sounds like the year to book a cruise to Hawaii.  Oh...gee...I have one booked !

• Like 3

On 3/3/2021 at 7:23 PM, norcalcruzr said:

I guess it is a matter of opinion.  I believe she was just joking with us and did not mean it to be offensive.  I will say no more.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 4:23 PM, norcalcruzr said:

Actually, I was very interested in hearing Ellie's take on the issue.  After all, this originated in her country, and is the hot topic around the world right now.  I have been following her travels for a year and feel like I know her.  Personally, I would like to hear more about how she feels on the subject.  Just saying.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:14 AM, trbarton said:

Those pictures are from the princess theater. Even though I wasn’t on the ship I know it’s the stage in the princess theater.  The princess theater that’s where they do the shows when they’re in Hawaii. 

Tom😀

Thanks for the info.  Cheers

On 3/5/2021 at 10:43 AM, ringers0815 said:

Congratulations!  So glad every one is well.When a child is born so to is a Grandmother & a Grandfather .

• Like 2

We continue our tour and see more of this beautiful island.

DSC00843.thumb.JPG.24e237454c35b0986b6eab0a138ff324.JPG

We hop back in the van after our photo opportunity and set off again, past cultivated fields and some beautiful houses. 

DSC00845.thumb.JPG.62563b308290df595c1cb7b277d3f98f.JPG

DSC00847.thumb.JPG.1fcb26aa32cb53596417e50c7f7e7ea6.JPG

At approximately 5 million years old, Kauai is the oldest of the main Hawaiian islands, as well as being the fourth largest, with an area of over 562 sq miles. It is also the 21st largest island in the USA, and is often known as the ‘Garden Island’ because of its dramatic beauty, which includes tropical rainforests, cascading waterfalls, jagged cliffs, and soaring mountains, some of which we are lucky enough to see today.

DSC00848.thumb.JPG.5140db421cffb243f01b6879d5a92051.JPG

DSC00849.thumb.JPG.280f5fd2b5d78bbb167a2524ce182327.JPG

The first European to reach the Hawaiian islands was Captain James Cook, who landed at Waimea Bay in 1778. His patron was the 6th Earl of Sandwich, George Montagu, and Cook named the archipelago the ‘Sandwich Islands’ after him.

We drive through a town and see a statue of Captain James Cook. 

DSC00850.thumb.JPG.a245489ff7f314cb4ef34200604087a7.JPG

DSC00851.thumb.JPG.4c69b4d974a117b34219eac47c0062d7.JPG

DSC00852.thumb.JPG.c9666d0a81858fc6607ac91003cd5c7a.JPG

Like other Hawaiian islands, the dramatically beautiful island of Kauai is volcanic, with its highest peak being Kawaikini, which soars to 5,243 ft. Near the centre of the island is the second highest peak. Mount Wai’ale’ale, which is one of the wettest places on earth, with an average rainfall of 460 inches. The spectacular waterfalls and deep canyons have been carved out by this rainfall. The most famous canyon is the Waimea Canyon State Park, which is 3,000 ft deep, and sometimes referred to as the ‘Grand Canyon of the Pacific.’

Tourism is very important to Kauai, being its largest industry. Over one and a quarter million people visited the island in 2007, mainly Americans (84%) and Japanese (3%), with many Americans own vacation homes on the island. For much of the 19th and 20th centuries, sugarcane plantations were the most important industry, when in 1835 the first plantation was founded. For over a century this would be the dominant industry but now there is just one left, and even that plans to process sugarcane into ethanol.

The island itself is very fertile, so many varieties of fruit and crops are grown, including pineapple, coffee, kava, star fruit, guava, banana, papaya, sugar cane, star fruit, none and sugarcane.

DSC00853.thumb.JPG.9c920c8798563a38732dbfc43938cca9.JPG

It is hardly surprising that this beautiful and dramatic island has been used for over 70 Hollywood movies and television shows. Some scenes from South Pacific were shot here, as well as the 1993 film, Jurassic Park and its sequel Jurassic World. The opening scenes of Raiders of the Lost Ark were filmed here, as well as King Kong (1976), Donovan’s Reef. Pirates of the Caribbean, and George of the Jungle. Even Elvis Presley’s two movies, Blue Hawaii, and Paradise, Hawaiian Style were filmed at various locations on Kauai.

Edited by ellie1145

On 3/4/2021 at 12:59 AM, azbirdmom said:

Seeing a little bit of Kauai is just what I needed today after getting news that our British Isles cruise has now been cancelled!  Your virtual cruises continue to be the only cruising we have these days!

I’m so glad that our virtual cruise is still giving you pleasure. It does seem that the prospect of cruising anytime soon is fading rapidly. So sorry to hear that your British Isles cruise has been cancelled. 

Great to have you along. Hope the little bird is keeping well. 

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1