A new twist on scam phone calls?

DH just received a phone call that went like this:

"Your order on eBay for iPhone (model no) will be despatched and charged to your account. If you did not order this please press 1..."

It was not a private number but it was on our landline which doesn't record incoming numbers. It was a recorded message.

DH hung up before it finished so I don't know what other options it gave.

If it is a scam I wonder how many people get tricked into pressing 1.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

"Your order on eBay for iPhone (model no) will be despatched and charged to your account. If you did not order this please press 1..."

It was not a private number but it was on our landline which doesn't record incoming numbers. It was a recorded message.

I got a call a couple of years ago like that ,.

We have a apple products and they said they were apple and were giving us a new iPhone for our loyalty.

Im still trying to stop the spam.

It was tracked down to a company in castle hill by the police as a friend got burnt bad by them.

And they are still in business.

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Agree Just hang up.

Did you read about the scam about a bill which was identical to original bill, except for different bank account number?  Supplier paid $51,000, but person who did the work didn't get the money.  No money back from Commonwealth Bank, where money was paid, nor her bank Bendigo Bank. 

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree Just hang up.

Did you read about the scam about a bill which was identical to original bill, except for different bank account number?  Supplier paid $51,000, but person who did the work didn't get the money.  No money back from Commonwealth Bank, where money was paid, nor her bank Bendigo Bank. 

Yes, I saw that article. It makes you realise you have to think about, and check, everything these days. It was one reason why I decided to post about the scam phone call. The more word gets around about these scams the harder it is for the scammers to fool people.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes. It is a scam. I received a call exactly like that a couple of weeks ago. I like to have some fun with the callers, so I always press 1 to talk to a technician or whatever. On this particular call, I told them I do not have an account with eBay and they do not have my credit card number so, how could they charge my account? The operator then hung up.

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. It is a scam. I received a call exactly like that a couple of weeks ago. I like to have some fun with the callers, so I always press 1 to talk to a technician or whatever. On this particular call, I told them I do not have an account with eBay and they do not have my credit card number so, how could they charge my account? The operator then hung up.

We were more concerned that pressing 1 would connect us to one of those places that charge your phone account at $10/minute.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Has anyone else heard of any potentially dangerous scams? The more info that is shared about them the better.

I get calls from the 'Technical Department of Telstra' (used to be the Technical Department of Windows'); NBN (but we don't have NBN); the Security Department of Mastercard and Visa about charges to my card (but the CC number they quote is wrong); Amazon Prime to renew my account (but I don't have one). We get anything from a couple of calls a week to several in a day.

Even though I always press 1 and speak to an operator (so far) I haven't been charged for this time. I think they are after bigger prey rather than just a few dollars. The calls that claim someone is accessing your internet service without your knowledge plan to do just that. According to my son who works in IT, they have one of several different aims -  either to take over your computer so they have access to everything on it (internet banking etc), or install ransomware that you will have to pay to have removed; or use your computer as part of a world-wide netbot for illegal purposes. I absolutely refuse to type anything into my computer at their direction. I call them out by asking them whose name the internet account is in - the full name. Of course they don't have that. They only have the initials from the phone listing. I have had them tell me that for privacy reasons they cannot tell me the name of the account-holder - presumably my own name. Hah. They also claim to have the ID number of my computer, but the number they quote isn't the correct one. The correct term used in Australia is 'Mac address' for machine address, but (my son tells me) that there is no way they would be able to determine this number from their end.

Other calls about the eBay or Amazon Prime, I believe are trying to find out my credit card details. Of course, I don't go that far.

Others calls are cold-calling to get contacts to pass onto an Australian company that has a contract with them. These have been about installing solar panels (and the government subsidy) and there used to be calls "Our records show you have recently had a car accident" and telling me that I could claim money - money that was mine. They didn't know how our Third Party accident insurance works.

The Telstra technical department.....  over those...  hang up

once i reply yes really yes really really... they hung up ???

Solar panels and led lights..... lol

Cheaper insurance, home loans and energy deals....

oh that's right funeral insurance.....  told some of them

look i will be dead... i wont care then....

the new email scams... are looking at bit real.....

using... banks... parcel delivery companies.... etc

and one from iinet saying  bill saying your credit card wasn't debted.... wrong details   ( by the way iinet now text me to tell me the email has come in )

It really has become a scamie world out their.... just got to watch out..

Another good reason to go on a cruise.... to escape the scammers.

Don

We went through a stage where we were getting  calls almost every day for whatever reason so I bought  a whistle and whenever they rang I let them start talking and then blasted them with the whistle.  We moved house and changed phone numbers not long after so not sure if it worked but It was great fun. 

Edited by gbenjo

53 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

I only seem to get recorded message ones and I have learnt that if you pick up and say nothing the call is terminated.  It is your voice that activates the recording.  They seem to eventually give up.

I am not going to do that. I have fun with them. 🙂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I got a call recently saying I was about to be arrested but if I wanted to avoid the arrest I could press 1 to talk to Homeland Security to arrange a payment. 

Needless to say I just hang up and so far I haven't been arrested but I did have a good laugh about it.

Wow..... what next.......lol

Only a few times do a talk to them,  as it is always a bad time when they ring......

But i did have one from the Telstra Tech Department, who i had some fun with..... just to see what the scam was..... they want me to allow them to remotely connect to my laptop....

Any way he took me thought all the steps.... ( which I didn't do )

Then I told him the screen went blank.... and asked what do i do now...

and told him he had broken my computer..... he hung up..

Don

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I got a call recently saying I was about to be arrested but if I wanted to avoid the arrest I could press 1 to talk to Homeland Security to arrange a payment. 

Needless to say I just hang up and so far I haven't been arrested but I did have a good laugh about it.

Makes one pleased we don't have a common English language.  

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

Wow..... what next.......lol

Only a few times do a talk to them,  as it is always a bad time when they ring......

But i did have one from the Telstra Tech Department, who i had some fun with..... just to see what the scam was..... they want me to allow them to remotely connect to my laptop....

Any way he took me thought all the steps.... ( which I didn't do )

Then I told him the screen went blank.... and asked what do i do now...

and told him he had broken my computer..... he hung up..

Don

Thanks for the laugh.